SC NIL: Should athletes be able to have NIL deals for gun sponsorships?

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
The senator who is pushing for it notes that the University has a shooting team.

It's hard to say student athletes can't have a gun sponsorship when you have a team that uses guns.
Just like in pro shooting sports, it's important to note that a star competitor on a shooting team would have much fewer sponsorship opportunities than a quarterback or point guard would. It's likely the only companies who would seek him out for sponsorship are those within the shooting sports sector. You'd really be chopping these kids off at the knees if you prohibit them from being sponsored by firearms companies.

Right now, I believe The Citadel and Wofford are the only two SC schools with NCAA-sanctioned rifle teams. Since this is all being driven by Carolina and Clemson, I wouldn't expect the impasse to last very long, one way or the other. But it's probably worth noting that the senator who is pushing to remove or amend the anti-gun language from the bill is from Spartanburg, so it does directly impact some of his constituents.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
I see no reason why they could not. It is a legal product. If the advertisement does not go against legal restrictions, I do not see how they can restrict it. I am not well versed in laws regarding firearm advertisement. If there are restrictions like it is with tobacco. But to say that only college athletes are restricted from it, I would think the SCOTUS would strike that down.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I see no reason why they could not. It is a legal product. If the advertisement does not go against legal restrictions, I do not see how they can restrict it. I am not well versed in laws regarding firearm advertisement. If there are restrictions like it is with tobacco. But to say that only college athletes are restricted from it, I would think the SCOTUS would strike that down.
Yes, I think that would violate the 1A. Presumably, this legislation gives the schools the right to negotiate or coordinate certain NIL deals? (I don't know the particulars of what the legislation hopes to accomplish) So, it probably could prohibit the schools from getting involved with certain types of companies. But I don't think you could outright ban the student athlete from accepting NIL money from an otherwise legal marketing deal - the school just wouldn't be able to be involved.

I'd be curious to know if the rifle teams themselves have any sponsorships. In the same way that Nike or Adidas fight to have their equipment worn by football programs, I'd think manufacturers like Walther and Anschutz would want to equip collegiate rifle teams. That would explain why the huge manufacturer labels are so prominent on the stocks of the rifle teams. It would seem pretty ironic if a school were able to negotiate deals on its own behalf with manufacturers, but be precluded from involvement with a similar deal between the individual competitor and the same manufacturer.

HI Cock1

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Jan 22, 2022
They should be allowed to pitch anything. Can't wait to buy my girls some Caitlyn Clark Tampax.

Abush

Jan 31, 2022
If you can't have a gun on campus, you can't sponsor a gun for a school. Move it along.

• Haha
Reactions: Patriot321

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
If you can't have a gun on campus, you can't sponsor a gun for a school. Move it along.

Technicalities here, but they aren't sponsoring a gun "for the university". At this point, the schools aren't supposed to be involved, and these are simply adults making a sponsorship deal with a private company based on their own name.

Feb 24, 2024

Technicalities here, but they aren't sponsoring a gun "for the university". At this point, the schools aren't supposed to be involved, and these are simply adults making a sponsorship deal with a private company based on their own name.

The senator who is pushing for it notes that the University has a shooting team.

It's hard to say student athletes can't have a gun sponsorship when you have a team that uses guns.

Are guns legal?
Are gun businesses legal?

I have mixed thoughts on this that basically interweave amongst the four points quoted above.

I think I lean towards "no," but only ever so slightly.

I also wonder how much it would actually come up in the real world. I'm not a hunter or shooting enthusiast (although I am a firearm owner), but to my knowledge I can't think of prominent firearm endorsements that crossover to celebrity or the non-shooting sports realm.

Reactions: Lurker123

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
How about NIL deals with marijuana sellers in those states where it’s legal?
I would think it would be an issue based on the fact it is still federally illegal and as NCAA student-athletes, it is against the NCAA rules for them to partake in it.

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Gun companies are no different than any other for-profit business, how could they legally be stopped from sponsoring an athlete, and why should they be. Try stopping them and see how fast that goes to court, as it should.

Reactions: vacock