Bama dudes

KirbAppeal

Jan 6, 2022
Just got a job offer in Huntsville. Should I move? What’s the cost of living like there?

dp rtr

May 1, 2023
I don’t live in Alabama anymore, but one of my best friends lives in Madison which is basically the nicer side of Huntsville. Imo, it’s different than every part of the rest of the state. Between NASA and Redstone the collective IQ there is pretty damn high which is pretty refreshing. Fastest growing area in the state. My wife did some rotations at the hospital there in med school and she really liked it.

Tuamuchspeed

Jul 15, 2022
Out of curiosity, who was your offer from?

The cost of living isn't bad, but it isn't what it was 3-4 years ago, like most places. Depending on where you want to live you will pay somewhere between $450k - $650k for a 4bd 3bth around 3k sqft. Property taxes are stupid low. We're lacking in restaurants. That's my biggest complaint here.

Reactions: KirbAppeal

KirbAppeal

Jan 6, 2022
I don’t live in Alabama anymore, but one of my best friends lives in Madison which is basically the nicer side of Huntsville. Imo, it’s different than every part of the rest of the state. Between NASA and Redstone the collective IQ there is pretty damn high which is pretty refreshing. Fastest growing area in the state. My wife did some rotations at the hospital there in med school and she really liked it.
Yeah that’s what I’ve heard. I work in cyber/infosec and I’m currently in the DC area. The pay is within 10% of what I make now, but I’m thinking the cost of living would be way less

Reactions: dp rtr

KirbAppeal

Jan 6, 2022
Out of curiosity, who was your offer from?

The cost of living isn't bad, but it isn't what it was 3-4 years ago, like most places. Depending on where you want to live you will pay somewhere between $450k - $650k for a 4bd 3bth around 3k sqft. Property taxes are stupid low. We're lacking in restaurants. That's my biggest complaint here.
I live in the DC area, that size house would cost double to triple that here with insane property taxes to boot.

I’d rather not say who my offer was from, it’s govt adjacent is what I’ll say.

Pay is in the $160ish range.

KirbAppeal

Jan 6, 2022
There's a 0% chance you will regret it.

Unless you're poor.
So I’ve been to Huntsville before.. my grandpa lived there until his death in 2007, but I assume it’s changed a ton since then. Used to love it as a kid.

dp rtr

May 1, 2023
Yeah that’s what I’ve heard. I work in cyber/infosec and I’m currently in the DC area. The pay is within 10% of what I make now, but I’m thinking the cost of living would be way less
Any DC rec’s? I’ll be there for work in a month or so and I’m thinking of coming a day or 2 early to hit a museum or 2

Tuamuchspeed

Jul 15, 2022
I live in the DC area, that size house would cost double to triple that here with insane property taxes to boot.

I’d rather not say who my offer was from, it’s govt adjacent is what I’ll say.

Pay is in the $160ish range.
That's cool. I get it. Interwebz and shid.

The only govt adjacent firm I can think of is Hexagon or Blue Origin (Blue to a lesser extent now that they got picked up for Artemis).

Assuming Mrs. Appeal doesn't work, you will get along just fine at $160k and pretty much be able to do whatever. Probably won't be looking at much in the 35801 area (depending on your equity), but you will have more freedom than you did in DC.

I lived in Eastern Market for a year in 2008. Stupid expensive, but was great for 28-year-old Tua.

Tuamuchspeed

Jul 15, 2022
So I’ve been to Huntsville before.. my grandpa lived there until his death in 2007, but I assume it’s changed a ton since then. Used to love it as a kid.
It's changed a ton since ‘07. Hell, it's vastly different from when I moved here in 2015. Pretty much all of that change is positive aside from infrastructure strain and prices.

KirbAppeal

Jan 6, 2022
Any DC rec’s? I’ll be there for work in a month or so and I’m thinking of coming a day or 2 early to hit a museum or 2
Of course dude. What are you looking for outside of museums?

Spy museum and Natural History are my two favorites. But you really can’t go wrong with anything on the Nat’l mall.

There are endless restaurants and bars. What area are you staying?

KirbAppeal

Jan 6, 2022
That's cool. I get it. Interwebz and shid.

The only govt adjacent firm I can think of is Hexagon or Blue Origin (Blue to a lesser extent now that they got picked up for Artemis).

Assuming Mrs. Appeal doesn't work, you will get along just fine at $160k and pretty much be able to do whatever. Probably won't be looking at much in the 35801 area (depending on your equity), but you will have more freedom than you did in DC.

I lived in Eastern Market for a year in 2008. Stupid expensive, but was great for 28-year-old Tua.
My first apartment when I moved here a decade ago was in Capitol Hill, used to walk over to Eastern Market every Saturday for the food market.
I live across the river now in VA, but still love the city. DC is a sneaky awesome city, especially for 20 something single dudes.

That’s good to hear, haven’t done any serious house hunting yet, but we’ll see what the Mrs’ wants to do (She’s the boss and her fam is here)

dp rtr

May 1, 2023
Of course dude. What are you looking for outside of museums?

Spy museum and Natural History are my two favorites. But you really can’t go wrong with anything on the Nat’l mall.

There are endless restaurants and bars. What area are you staying?
Kimpton George Hotel in Noma. A few blocks away from the capital building. Definitely want to do the spy museum. Heard great things. You have any favorite bars or restaurants?

KirbAppeal

Jan 6, 2022
Kimpton George Hotel in Noma. A few blocks away from the capital building. Definitely want to do the spy museum. Heard great things. You have any favorite bars or restaurants?
If you’re in NoMa, you’re just a couple blocks from Union Market. Great restaurants over in that area.
St. Anslem, O-kū, Masseria, Old City Market & Oven are all great. You also have Union Market and La Cosecha which are both food halls with tons of restaurants in them. St. Anslem is probably the best all around restaurant in that area, make a res if you want to go. You also have Wundergarten right there which is an outdoor beer garden with a huge selection, although the crowd leans on the younger side

Red Bear brewery is not a bad spot to have a beer, but over in Shaw you have Dacha Beer Garden which is one of my favorite spots. Great beer and they have some good brats & sausages too. TAKODA, Tall Boy, and Lost & Found are some other good spots to grab a beer over in Shaw.

Tons of places to eat and drink downtown too, but I don’t think you’ll have any issues staying in the NoMa/Shaw area

Reactions: dp rtr

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
I’m putting a power G sticker on your vehicle immediately.
We don’t allow that filth on my bluff.
GIF by HULU

Latest posts