“….and the Mississippi River, she’s a going dry.”

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Did them closing the river mess up your harvest any, DCD?
Not DCD but the elevator we haul to has greatly reduced their hours. They have started a ground pile of soybeans which we have never seen around here.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Not DCD but the elevator we haul to has greatly reduced their hours. They have started a ground pile of soybeans which we have never seen around here.
Ours is about the same. I don’t think they’re taking anything but contracted grain right now and they have two ground piles.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
I blame ducks unlimited. In the 70s and 80s they came down here, took everybody’s money, and took the ducks with em.
They changed the flyway. More habitat up north to keep ‘em there.
They also took your DU$, bought corn & poured it out on the banks of the Mississippi after their season closed up north to keep the bird up there so we southerners couldn’t shoot ‘em down here in the late season. I quit giving to DU in the mid 90’s. The flyway has sure changed since then. Late 80’s, early 90’s ducks galore. Now the flyway has changed and unless you pay the big bucks & have a nice spot over in the delta to hunt ‘em, your stuck w/o ducks. I quit duck hunting in ‘99, even sold my goose gun.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I blame ducks unlimited. In the 70s and 80s they came down here, took everybody’s money, and took the ducks with em.
I've heard this for probably going on 20 years now. Duck hunter pointed out that ducks unlimited wasn't trying to help southern hunters, it was trying to help northern hunters. Not sure if DU has every changed their approach or if people in the south just keep getting suckered by them.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
They also took your DU$, bought corn & poured it out on the banks of the Mississippi after their season closed up north to keep the bird up there so we southerners couldn’t shoot ‘em down here in the late season. I quit giving to DU in the mid 90’s. The flyway has sure changed since then. Late 80’s, early 90’s ducks galore. Now the flyway has changed and unless you pay the big bucks & have a nice spot over in the delta to hunt ‘em, your stuck w/o ducks. I quit duck hunting in ‘99, even sold my goose gun.
Also, I believe combine efficiency is much better today than in the 80’s and 90’s. More grain in tank=less food on ground for waterfowl. Of course, settings can be adjusted in the prime duck spots.

Reactions: J-Dawg
Oct 17, 2022
I double checked farmers almanac, the northern states that feed the Miss are supposed to get above avg snowfall. Pretty much the whole nation other than Texas and the southwest will get above avg cold and snow

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Ducks live and breed in the north only to fly down south for 2 months a year? Who knew?

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I've heard this for probably going on 20 years now. Duck hunter pointed out that ducks unlimited wasn't trying to help southern hunters, it was trying to help northern hunters. Not sure if DU has every changed their approach or if people in the south just keep getting suckered by them.
DU spends $2 in Mississippi for every $1 raised in Mississippi. Or something like that.

I love how people always say DU does this and that without ever examining the overall land use and farming practices up and down the flyway and how they’ve changed the last 20-30 years. But yes, DU is the sole reason.

and yes, I am a DU donor. And an avid duck hunter. I’ve seen gadwall, wood duck, and other minor duck numbers really climb in Mississippi in the past 10 years. Anecdotal of course. As a matter of fact, I observed/killed more pintails on our property last year than ever.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Also, I believe combine efficiency is much better today than in the 80’s and 90’s. More grain in tank=less food on ground for waterfowl. Of course, settings can be adjusted in the prime duck spots.
That makes too much sense. Let’s blame DU and their nets and heated ponds up in Iowa and Missouri. That makes MORE sense.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’m not a fan of DU but it’s not DU causing the poor hunting. It’s the massive amounts of duck holes across the entire Mississippi Delta from Missouri to Louisiana. In the 80s and 90s there was far less hunting pressure but then it became big business to rent out every speck of water to “hunters”. And yes we do the same thing on some of our land because it’s good money so I’m part of the problem too. You have tons of water for the same amount of ducks. They find a place to roost where someone isn’t hunting and then if someone hunts it they just get up and go to the next place they aren’t getting shot. It’s been that way for almost 20 years and it’s not going to get any better.

I flew back to Memphis several years ago from a meeting in Tulsa and it was around the first of February so almost all the duck hunting water was still there across Arkansas. It was a sunny late afternoon flight so you could see for forever out the plane window and it looked like a checkerboard of water. It’s easy to see why duck hunting is not what it used to be.

Reactions: J-Dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login