“I thought I was taking out a loan.”

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
You seriously wonder why MS press isn’t covering a story where an Ole Miss fan in Oxford running a business on the square defrauded a MSU sorority for millions of dollars?

That ain’t the kind of story the C-L is gonna tackle.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You seriously wonder why MS press isn’t covering a story where an Ole Miss fan in Oxford running a business on the square defrauded a MSU sorority for millions of dollars?

It really is amazing that nobody at the CL is self-interested enough to cover this stuff. It's click bait that is actually legitimate news, and they're sitting there at a dying newspaper in a dying industry and just think, what? "Even though I'm probably going to be unemployed in the next couple of years, I'm not going to do anything to increase my value or to slightly delay unemployment?" Is every "reporter" there just a metric 17ton of lazy with a skin wrapping and they are at the CL because the political interests give them an excuse to not do a bunch of work?

patdog

May 28, 2007
You'd be surprised how many people use this to justify embezzlement. It starts out as "just taking out a loan and repaying it." Then the loans take longer and longer to repay and it snowballs from there.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013

Not to mention that usually when people get arrested and charged with a crime their picture is in every article and on the news. The news segment shows B roll of our campus. The article has nothing.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
When you know the ship is sinking you don’t dare blow holes in the lifeboat.

A lot of them probably figure once the mainstream gig is played out they’ll need their good ole boy connections healthy in order to survive.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Nashville is hard at work with the FBI, FB, and Twitter to squash the story as fake news put out by Russia.***

EdwardDrayton

Jul 1, 2022
You'd be surprised how many people use this to justify embezzlement. It starts out as "just taking out a loan and repaying it." Then the loans take longer and longer to repay and it snowballs from there.

Most people who embezzle never have been in trouble before. And, yes, it starts with deluding themselves and then just gets easier with time. Bottom line though is that separation of duties is missing, making it easier to hide the activity.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
She really thinks everyone but her is stupid.

They keep referring to this as embezzling to support her clothing store, but surely she wasn't really losing $375k a year running a children's clothing store in Oxford? Surely she was breaking even and just stealing to fund her lifestyle? Not that it makes a huge difference, but it seems like it's allowing her to save face a tiny bit (because I guess people can at least fathom stealing to keep a business afloat) compared to the likely truth of stealing to keep looking like she was rich to her friends in Oxford.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
2.9 million would probably buy us a several really good OL men.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010

Easy answer is the C-L ran off all of their good reporters and they are now working for Mississippi Today doing actual investigative reporting. They are the ONLY news outlet in the state doing anywhere near decent coverage of the TANF funds scandal and the Jackson water crisis cluster 17.

Jul 5, 2020
The Mississippi press is reporting the story as much as modern journalism permits, which is to say rerunning the AP story along with some intermittent local paper and independent journalists. However, the exception is the Clarion Ledger, which is baffling. I don't think this is a Mississippi issue as much as it is a "last 3 reporters on staff" problem at the CL and them not wanting to burn bridges in the future, as another poster pointed out.

I wouldn't extend the Ole Miss media bias paranoia out too far, given that two Oxford periodicals and the regional reporters all included it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login