“Mississippi State Has to Do Things Different”

TheDawgSaint

Jan 18, 2021
It’s well known John Cohen has said “Mississippi State has to do things differently.” A couple of things first…(1) I realize he wasn’t only talking about football and (2) this post is only speaking of football!
When we hired Leach I was very skeptical at first. But, admittedly within a couple of days I was convinced we made a good hire. Again, believing “Mississippi State has to do things differently.” I was sold on this style of offense would lead to us being more competitive with the elite teams in the SEC. I did, and still do, give everyone a pass on the Covid year. Last season major doubt crept in, but I still never really wavered in my belief it would work. Why? Because Leach had been successful everywhere he has been. Why doubt he wouldn’t be successful at Mississippi State? Very few will argue he has better talent here than anywhere he has been.
So, fast forward to today? Do I still believe it will work? I think that depends on your definition of success. I know many of you, like me, have been around a long time. You know what the abyss looks like. This is not it. So, if we are looking to consistently win 7-8 games year in and year out. I absolutely believe you have your man for that. But, if you are looking to jump to the level of the elite. I highly doubt we can get it done with this system. But, no matter where you stand, the results seem to prove this accurate.
I won’t lie. I bought in to Leach and still want to think he can take us to another level. But, if I’m being honest, I’m starting to doubt anyone can.

Last edited:

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I qualify as a "long suffering" MSU fan (and graduate). Your words are truth; if you expect more than 6/7 wins per year, with an occasional 8/9 win outlier year, I fear you're going to be greatly disappointed. Having said that, we SHOULD expect to stay basically even with Old Mess. Losing to them every year isn't going to cut it for any coach. If we lose to them again this year, which I fully expect based on the current trajectories of each program, then Leach's seat should be white-hot next season.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Leach was a very good hire, he has a long track record of success, but there have been dozens of good hires that didn't work out for whatever reason.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Million dollar question. What should our expectations really be? Primarily football and basketball (we know what baseball expectations are). It hasn’t ever truly been clarified.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I'm in the group that will never ratify this hire, nor the last.
I have mellowed on Leach some, because he has brought better D to the table that I thought.
But, we are where we are, till we get to NEXT.
It won't improve much at all till then.
He has one plan, and if it does not work, it's because we did not execute it properly.
Bull ****!

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Million dollar question. What should our expectations really be? Primarily football and basketball (we know what baseball expectations are). It hasn’t ever truly been clarified.
Football: minimum of 7-8 wins every year. Once every 3 years at least 9 wins. 10 or more is likely once in a coach’s career at State if he is lucky.

Basketball: NIT minimum every year. NCAA tournament team 40% of the time. Sweet 16 or better is likely once in a coach’s career at state if he is lucky.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
After we go 4-4 again this year finishing 8-5, that'll be back to back .500 SEC Seasons and this is his 3rd year.. Kitten and tsun is a VERY beatable team and we've got the coaches and players to do so. Leach needs to finish out 4-4 & 8-5. What was Mullen's record finishing .500 in the SEC?

Oct 17, 2022
After we go 4-4 again this year finishing 8-5, that'll be back to back .500 SEC Seasons and this is his 3rd year.. Kitten and tsun is a VERY beatable team and we've got the coaches and players to do so. Leach needs to finish out 4-4 & 8-5. What was Mullen's record finishing .500 in the SEC?
Mullen only had one year above .500 in the sec and an overall losing record in the sec, I believe. First five years sec record : 3-5, 4-4, 2-6, 4-4, 3-5

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Leach wins eight, things are back on track. Win seven, well, he better beat OM. Win six, he can eat a bag.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I think DerHntr is spot on with his expectations at State. The problem is we seem to be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear and never make it to the top gears, instead we are constantly spinning our wheels and going in the ditch when we need to pull even with the pack.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Football: 6 to 8 regular season wins per year, exempting only Year 1 of a new coach in some circumstances. Average of 7 regular season wins per year. Bowl game outcomes are pretty much meaningless in today’s era of the coaching carousel, opt outs, players generally not giving a crap, etc. Any wins there are a bonus but they shouldn’t be used at all to judge a coach’s long term prospects (positive or negative).

Basketball: Its honestly hard to give a crap here anymore. We’re so far behind in MBB in terms of NIL investment and so far removed from any decent success that I feel like there are literally no expectations. There is likely going to be the natural long term suckage that is going to result from heavy fanbase financial and emotional investment in football and baseball. The fact that you can still buy MSU season basketball tickets a few weeks before tip off is simply stunning, and quite a showcase as to how far we have fallen in 15 years. If I had to pick something, I’d say just go .500 in SEC play 2 out of every 3 years and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: Croomonshrooms

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not sure we are doing things different. This system has been around for a couple generations now.

MSU should always run a system which utilizes a QB’s legs, IMO.
This has always seemed pretty obvious to me too, if we are going to choose between running and passing QBs. I mean obviously everyone would love to have a QB who can do both, but those don't come around that often.

I keep thinking that someone sees something I don't with the Air Raid. Maybe we can eventually go to the Johnny Football style of it, but damn, again, that requires JOHNNY FOOTBALL, one of those damn Heisman unicorns I referenced in the first paragraph.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
It’s well known John Cohen has said “Mississippi State has to do things differently.” A couple of things first…(1) I realize he wasn’t only talking about football and (2) this post is only speaking of football!
When we hired Leach I was very skeptical at first. But, admittedly within a couple of days I was convinced we made a good hire. Again, believing “Mississippi State has to do things differently.” I was sold on this style of offense would lead to us being more competitive with the elite teams in the SEC. I did, and still do, give everyone a pass on the Covid year. Last season major doubt crept in, but I still never really wavered in my belief it would work. Why? Because Leach had been successful everywhere he has been. Why doubt he wouldn’t be successful at Mississippi State? Very few will argue he has better talent here than anywhere he has been.
So, fast forward to today? Do I still believe it will work? I think that depends on your definition of success. I know many of you, like me, have been around a long time. You know what the abyss looks like. This is not it. So, if we are looking to consistently win 7-8 games year in and year out. I absolutely believe you have your man for that. But, if you are looking to jump to the level of the elite. I highly doubt we can get it done with this system. But, no matter where you stand, the results seem to prove this accurate.
I won’t lie. I bought in to Leach and still want to think he can take us to another level. But, if I’m being honest, I’m starting to doubt anyone can.
(*AHEM*) re: the thread title

"no $--+"

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
he has a long track record of success
At Wash St he had 4 winning and 4 losing seasons w/ a conference record (which to me is what counts) of an even .500 He's 9-14 here in conference (I don't want to hear "but the Covid season, hell everybody had the same Covid seasons) So, Success?
I don't include Tx Tech because that was back when it was a new gimmick and nobody had figured out how to defend it. I'm afraid its turning into the Wishbone, it was new and fresh at one time but the word has spread how to defend it

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login