“Nevada Senate passes $380M bill to fund new A's stadium in Las Vegas”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Sad. I hate when teams move. It’s as if it’s about money.

My mom, who grew up in Brooklyn, never maintained an interest in baseball after the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles.

pap

Nov 1, 2021

My mom, who grew up in Brooklyn, never maintained an interest in baseball after the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles.
Joe was reportedly was the same about the baseball when the Dodgers left Brooklyn . It is a shame but that is part of the history of pro teams . A great deal of movement .

Reactions: BobPSU92

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Joe was reportedly was the same about the baseball when the Dodgers left Brooklyn . It is a shame but that is part of the history of pro teams . A great deal of movement .
Oakland isn’t exactly a beacon of community goodwill and support for its pro teams. It’s also a surprisingly poor city given its close proximity to Silicon Valley.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021

I hear ya on the moving impact on fans.

I grew up a huge Baltimore Colts fan, and lost interest in the NFL for many, many years after they left for Indianapolis. I barely watched any games outside of some of the playoffs each year, and Super Bowls, even though I have been a Steelers fan since college.
My brother and his family being in Charlotte and becoming Panthers fans since their inception brought back my interest in the NFL to a large degree. I still follow the Steelers, and Panthers, but I don't invest emotionally like I did with the Colts way back when.
Plus, I'm a college football fan above all else, so I'm tuned in there so deeply I don't have time for a similar dive into the NFL. I tend to follow the ex-PSU players and that's about it for knowing who's who for me.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021

Heck, if I'm not mistaken this will be the A's fourth location. Philadelphia, Kansas City, Oakland previously (?)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Against publicly funded stadiums in general. Looks like ownership agreed to donate $1.5mm a year to homelessness and provide a suite for ‘public’ use. Seems like there are much better public uses for $380mm….

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Against publicly funded stadiums in general. Looks like ownership agreed to donate $1.5mm a year to homelessness and provide a suite for ‘public’ use. Seems like there are much better public uses for $380mm….
“Anyone who is telling you that there is an economic benefit to a stadium deal is [lying] … I've studied this to death. There's universal agreement.”
“People will always say, ‘Oh, but this one is different.’ Every single stadium deal I've ever looked at the people who are supporting this say, ‘This one will be different.’ And when we look at it 15 to 20 years later, it's exactly the same as they always are,” he said. “There's always an excuse, and the reason is that there's a lot of money to be made by getting this stadium funded. And so the owner is going to benefit tremendously.”

Sports economists pan public funding for A’s ballpark deal as ‘standard stadium grift’ – The Nevada Independent

The Impact of Professional Sports Franchises and Venues on Local Economies: A Comprehensive Survey by John Charles Bradbury, Dennis Coates, Brad R. Humphreys :: SSRN`

Cities Should Not Pay For New Stadiums – Michigan Journal of Economics (umich.edu)

Economics Of Subsidizing Sports Stadiums | St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org)

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.... ad infinitum.

And still, we will hear the soliloquies of the wonderful social investments that result from publicly-financed sports stadiums.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Worth a read:

“The A's won 97 games in 2019 and made the postseason again in 2020 before Fisher began stripping the team of its young stars, reducing payroll to the lowest in baseball. The team raised ticket prices and did little to nothing to improve the fan experience as the wins dwindled, then used poor attendance and the condition of the ballpark to justify its decision to seek a new home.”

🤬

It sounds like Major League.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
“Anyone who is telling you that there is an economic benefit to a stadium deal is [lying] … I've studied this to death. There's universal agreement.”
“People will always say, ‘Oh, but this one is different.’ Every single stadium deal I've ever looked at the people who are supporting this say, ‘This one will be different.’ And when we look at it 15 to 20 years later, it's exactly the same as they always are,” he said. “There's always an excuse, and the reason is that there's a lot of money to be made by getting this stadium funded. And so the owner is going to benefit tremendously.”

Sports economists pan public funding for A’s ballpark deal as ‘standard stadium grift’ – The Nevada Independent

The Impact of Professional Sports Franchises and Venues on Local Economies: A Comprehensive Survey by John Charles Bradbury, Dennis Coates, Brad R. Humphreys :: SSRN`

Cities Should Not Pay For New Stadiums – Michigan Journal of Economics (umich.edu)

Economics Of Subsidizing Sports Stadiums | St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org)

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.... ad infinitum.

And still, we will hear the soliloquies of the wonderful social investments that result from publicly-financed sports stadiums.

Cannot like this enough. Simply no reason to offer anything to a guy who can build this stadium on his own. I do agree with infrastructure investment, but really, the owner should be paying a fee to Vegas for the privilege of having the franchise there. Where else you gonna go?

Last edited:

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Feel bad for Oakland residents. On the other hand, Vegas becomes an even more interesting place to visit.

Oct 31, 2021
Oakland is a disaster and blew everything. They lost the Raiders, lost the Warriors, are losing the A's. The city's finances and public school finances are mismanaged with tons of debt. Public schools are closing because no one want to go to them. Homelessness and crime are out of control. Sad to see the A's leave but I can't blame them.

• Sad
Reactions: MacNit and BobPSU92

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Oakland is a disaster and blew everything. They lost the Raiders, lost the Warriors, are losing the A's. The city's finances and public school finances are mismanaged with tons of debt. Public schools are closing because no one want to go to them. Homelessness and crime are out of control. Sad to see the A's leave but I can't blame them.
Just joining the mass exodus from California. Amazing how far and fast this once vanguard for America has fallen.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Worth a read:

“The A's won 97 games in 2019 and made the postseason again in 2020 before Fisher began stripping the team of its young stars, reducing payroll to the lowest in baseball. The team raised ticket prices and did little to nothing to improve the fan experience as the wins dwindled, then used poor attendance and the condition of the ballpark to justify its decision to seek a new home.”

🤬

It sounds like Major League.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Taxpayer funded stadiums?

Reactions: Midnighter

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
For years GLOV tried to get the A's to move to McKees Rocks. The Rocks is just a couple of miles from downtown Pittsburgh, but he believed the area could support two minor league teams. As an alternate proposal, he suggested moving the A's to the Oakland section of Pittsburgh as a way to save money on uniforms. Sadly, his passing brought a halt to his dreams. Rest in Peace my friend.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login