0T: NPR RADIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
IS IT ME OR DOES IT SOUND LIKE EVERYONE ON THIS DAMB STATION NEEDS A VALIUM TO WAKE UP?

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me is pretty lively.
throw up comedy central GIF by Workaholics

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
The only NPR listening I’ve ever done was with my dad listening to Garrison Keillor’s “A Prairie Home Companion”

Reactions: Ranchdawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't think I've ever listened so I can't tell you since I never rode on the talk radio bandwagon.

Pretty much all of talk radio has a terrible beat and you just can't dance to it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Clown if you want, but NPR Music 91.7 in DFW is a solid station and commercial free.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
IS IT ME OR DOES IT SOUND LIKE EVERYONE ON THIS DAMB STATION NEEDS A VALIUM TO WAKE UP?
Once listened to several shows
Car Talk
Several music programs-still listen to those
Quite any of their newsprograms approx 20 year ago....they had much trouble with the truth.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I remember when you could listen to Powdermilk Biscuits without being pushed off the left side of the plate. I actually went to see a live performance of PHC at the Brooklyn Academy of Music Opera House a few decades ago. GK was steadier in those days. Funny stuff.

"Says You" was fun when I happened to listen to it.

I do not make an effort to listen to NPR. If I happen across it I tend to listen for a bit, but during their "news" reports, the BS alarm goes off pretty quickly and I just move on.

Reactions: bolddogge

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I stopped listening to NPR when they took the reigns off their correspondents, especially Steve Inski. Every time I hear Steve interview someone, I wish Walter Cronkite could reach out from the grave and punch him in the face in with those gorilla mitts. Gotta be one of the most slanted, partisan, argumentative, disrespectful, petulant b!tches allowed around a radio mic. Think: Mstateglfrmthrfker has a radio show.

If someone agrees to allow you to interview them, you should take extensive notes from 3 of the best to ever do it:

Walter Cronkite
Dan Rather
Sean Evans

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Just the other day the white women I was listening to discussing how white water rafting and bycycling were racist and exclusionary forms of whiteness were sort of sedate in their delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I stopped listening to NPR when they took the reigns off their correspondents, especially Steve Inski. Every time I hear Steve interview someone, I wish Walter Cronkite could reach out from the grave and punch him in the face in with those gorilla mitts. Gotta be one of the most slanted, partisan, argumentative, disrespectful, petulant b!tches allowed around a radio mic. Think: Mstateglfrmthrfker has a radio show.

If someone agrees to allow you to interview them, you should take extensive notes from 3 of the best to ever do it:

Walter Cronkite
Dan Rather
Sean Evans
Walter Cronkite was the FATHER of today's biased journalism. He started the mess we have now.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I used to listen to MPB a lot for the music. When they became "Think Radio" I tuned out and haven't listened since.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I used to listen to MPB a lot for the music. When they became "Think Radio" I tuned out and haven't listened since.
Few years ago going to lunch, the medical show was on.. southern remedy maybe? Had this major hick called in talking about kids and stomach bugs. Something about she used babysit kids, and would give them goat milk for stomach aches. Guess she also raised goats.

Goes on to tell one day she had all the kids outside playing and turned around to see one nasty little girl who loved goat milk, "was over there sucking on the goats titty"

I'd pay good money to have a recording of that show. Sadly they never put that episode up on their website.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Walter Cronkite was the FATHER of today's biased journalism. He started the mess we have now.
Psychiatrists are doing amazing things nowadays.

I don’t know how to respond to this. Please elaborate so I can single out an angle of attack.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Psychiatrists are doing amazing things nowadays.

I don’t know how to respond to this. Please elaborate so I can single out an angle of attack.
His reporting and commentary on the Tet Offensive were as biased and wrong as anything that is being done now. It was one of the first major examples of bias in commercial TV news. He was no saint as many like to portray him now.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me is pretty lively.
And funny as hell too. Don't listen any more but was a big Wait, Wait fan as part of my Saturday hardware store/general running around trips. Looks like it's still going. There was another morning show as well I really liked but can't remember the name. Throw in Car Talk, Rick Steves, gardening/repair shows and several others and thinking back, I pretty much listened to NPR all weekend when I was out and about in the car (2005 to 2015 ish).
I thought it was pretty entertaining and/or informative radio at the time.

Reactions: Dawgg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Some of yall won't believe it but I love NPR. I used to have it on in the background pretty much all day, then covid hit and I got wore out having it on, so I kinda quit and never started back. Still like to listen sometimes when I'm in the truck, still a low level supporter of my local station.

Having said all that, I can get why someone wouldn't like it. There's absolutely and NPR voice/tone/culture that some folks prolly find boring and weird. Their reporting of regular news stories seems (like on the top of the hour) seem about as unbiased as it gets. Having said that, their in-depth reports and special features are certainly more geared to topics that progressives find interesting.

Also, NPR has been essentially the same as it is today my entire life. I'm not sure who wasn't aware of them being the way they are.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
It sounds like heresy in today's culture, but it's true. He wasn't nearly as extreme as current times, but his bias was obvious and incrementally made it more acceptable/standard in the industry.

Journalism officially stopped being about a meaningful public service and became a way for would-be activists to "make a difference" after Woodward and Bernstein.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don’t remember ol Walter being very biased but those were times when I didn’t give a ****. Dan Rather was the first news caster that I realized he was shaping the news rather than presenting the news.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
His reporting and commentary on the Tet Offensive were as biased and wrong as anything that is being done now. It was one of the first major examples of bias in commercial TV news. He was no saint as many like to portray him now.
Suuuuuuurrrrreeeee.....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Suuuuuuurrrrreeeee.....

Thanks boom, that is part of exactly what I was talking about. The US WON the Tet campaign. The NVA and Viet Kong were trounced with extremely heavy losses. Cronkite and people like him turned into a defeat simply because the NVA attacked us on a broad scale, never mind that they lost. By that standard Hitler won the Battle of the Bulge, and the Axis won WWII.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Thanks boom, that is part of exactly what I was talking about. The US WON the Tet campaign. The NVA and Viet Kong were trounced with extremely heavy losses. Cronkite and people like him turned into a defeat simply because the NVA attacked us on a broad scale, never mind that they lost. By that standard Hitler won the Battle of the Bulge, and the Axis won WWII.
The US took heavy losses too. We could not sustain any more such "victories", Baghdad Bob.

They "lost" only in that they didn't win. They didn't take or at least hold the territory they hoped to. But that's not the point, that your revisionist history misses. What the US public had been told to that point was demonstrated ad a complete lie. We were told they weren't capable of such an offensive, that victory was imminent. All Cronkite did was CORRECTLY report that there was no imminent victory. And you delusional losers have been butthurt about the truth ever since.

Last edited:

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
First, my comment was regarding his interview skills.

Secondly, his take went against the bullish!t the American people were being fed from Johnson and McNamara, which was his job to do, and he turned out to be correct.

The US was counting victories by body count, which was the new accountant’s style of warfare. I saw a Walter Cronkite and many others become dubious about the canned reports and ridiculous talking points from the administration, which is exactly the journalistic irreverence we desperately need more of right now.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The US took heavy losses too. We could not sustain any more such "victories", Baghdad Bob.

They "lost" only in that they didn't win. They didn't take or at least hold the territory they hoped to. But that's not the point, that your revisionist history misses. What the US public had been told to that point was demonstrated ad a complete lie. We were told they weren't capable of such an offensive, that victory was imminent. All Cronkite did was CORRECTLY report that there was no imminent victory. And you delusional losers have been butthurt about the truth ever since.
We won Tet boom. That has been clear for years. You still believe the Cronkite propaganda. I believed it for a long time too, it WAS Uncle Walter after all. In this case the revisionist history is absolutely correct. Oh, and we were told the same things before the Bulge too. There is a reason I used it as an example.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We won Tet boom. That has been clear for years. You still believe the Cronkite propaganda. I believed it for a long time too, it WAS Uncle Walter after all. In this case the revisionist history is absolutely correct. Oh, and we were told the same things before the Bulge too. There is a reason I used it as an example.
We kept fighting after Tet and it didn't matter. And the American public decided we should cut our losses. No chance in hell the Nazis would win or that the Battle of the Bulge would turn the tide in their favor. We weren't about to lose much territory we conquered and the Russians were still gonna advance on the eastern front. Plus, we had allies in western Europe who weren't about to quit either. They knew Germany was going to be defeated. Westmoreland and others were FOS.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Got a cite, Bob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login