11-22-63 TV Series (Probably Spoilers)

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
The wife finally finished the novel, so we watched the Hulu show. WTF was that?! I understand cutting things for time in film and television adaptations, but I'll never understand inserting additional BS that only serves to over-complicate the plot.

Why would they split the character of Jake in two, bringing Bill along with him to Dallas? Then have him fall in love with Marina?!

No show or movie will ever be as good as your imagination, but that was inexplicable to me. The acting was great, the show was just okay because of these odd decisions.

Shoutout to PGB, I think he was the poster who repeatedly said that Sadie was the only fictional character he actually fell in love with. I hope you found your own Sadie in the Great Beyond. Rest in Peace, Brother.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I can’t remember much about the show, but tried to appreciate it for what is was. If I hadn’t read the book prior I probably would have though it was very good. The book still reminds my favorite read of all time and I thank this board for putting me on it.
I just finished Dune. Meh. I didn’t think I could be disappointed by what’s considered the greatest scifi book of all time, but I wasn’t overly wowed by it. The asoiaf and lotr series are much better.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
I loved the book! Is the show worth watching? I've been looking for something else to binge lately.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
If you don't expect a shot-for-shot adaptation you'll enjoy it. The book is so much better though.
The only book-movie adaptation I can remember being damn-near perfect was No Country for Old Men.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I didn’t dislike the show but I also didn’t really like it that much due to the additions that you said.

I did feel like they cast Sadie perfectly though. Can’t remember the girl who played her but she was good

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
After watching Dances with Wolves about a dozen times I recently bought the book. I’m about half way through the book and the movie is pretty close. One glaring discrepancy is the Native American tribe. In the movie, the tribe was Lakota Souix. In the book they are Comanche. I’ve searched online for the reason for the change but as yet have found no explanation. The Pawnee are still the attackers. Just curious why the change.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Dances with Wolves is book number one of three books. I have the second book ready to read but book number three is yet to be published. On a related note, Lonesome Dove was book three is a set of four books. There is actually a movie of the other three books but they are rather obscure and nothing close to the epic that was Lonesome Dove. Return to Lonesome Dove was not a novel, it was simply a screenplay written to try and capitalize on the originals popularity.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’m with you. I can enjoy shows that aren’t like the books, but I thought this one was awful. I couldn’t finish.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login