12 team playoff in 2024

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
potentially means 17 games for up to 2 teams. I think players should be given a monetary share for each playoff game they are in just like in the NFL or any other playoff scenario. They talk about all this extra money that the playoffs will bring, but not a dime goes to the actual people providing that entertainment. Don't give me BS about scholarships and NIL. They get that money for playing in 12 or 13 games. So basically they play up to 4 more games for nothing. There should be a percentage of that additional revenue going to the actors in this play.

Any of you willing to up you hours 131% for no additional compensation?

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
potentially means 17 games for up to 2 teams. I think players should be given a monetary share for each playoff game they are in just like in the NFL or any other playoff scenario. They talk about all this extra money that the playoffs will bring, but not a dime goes to the actual people providing that entertainment. Don't give me BS about scholarships and NIL. They get that money for playing in 12 or 13 games. So basically they play up to 4 more games for nothing. There should be a percentage of that additional revenue going to the actors in this play.

They don’t have to play football.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think they end up with like $500 worth the stuff in swag from the sponsor and another $400 from the school for each game they play in currently.

Here was some of what was listed in the Orange Bowl:
  • Yeti Cooler
  • Beats Studio 3 Wireless
  • XDrone Racer
  • Ray Bans
  • Echo
  • Nintendo Switch
  • PS4
  • Citizen Watch

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
They don’t have to play football.
Why do y'all hate the people who play the game you can't but love to watch so much? If it was up to the collective you, they would play 52 games a year for nothing.

The fact is they generate millions of dollars and they don't get a fair share of that revenue. Now you want them to play 3 more games and put their bodies on the line for a third PS5 and $400 dollars. Y'all are Robber Barons.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Why do y'all hate the people who play the game you can't but love to watch so much? If it was up to the collective you, they would play 52 games a year for nothing.

The fact is they generate millions of dollars and they don't get a fair share of that revenue. Now you want them to play 3 more games and put their bodies on the line for a third PS5. Y'all are Robber Barons.
I don’t hate them at all. If they get paid, great. I’m just saying if they are upset about having to play that much they don’t actually have to. Someone will gladly take their spot.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

The fact is they generate millions of dollars and they don't get a fair share of that revenue. Now you want them to play 3 more games and put their bodies on the line for a third PS5 and $400 dollars. Y'all are Robber Barons.
I don’t hate them but I don’t feel sorry for them either.

but we also don’t need a 12 team playoff.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
We just need to go to a farm league system like baseball. Let's see where MSU will fall.......... AAA, AA, or A ball? Should be real interesting. Of course, each level will play for their own championship.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

17 that. I can get on board with baseball players who don’t get a full scholarship. But what gets lost in all this is a PLATFORM that these players get, to do basically anything.

Pay them if you want, but you’re going to lose fans. I hope that TV revenue keeps going up. Did I mention they are getting paid?

In college, it’s the passion for the schools, NOT THE PLAYERS, that makes the money. Real talk. Fans like us are funding these collectives, and you expect sympathy?

Reactions: Dawgg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
17 that. I can get on board with baseball players who don’t get a full scholarship. But what gets lost in all this is a PLATFORM that these players get, to do basically anything.

Pay them if you want, but you’re going to lose fans. I hope that TV revenue keeps going up. Did I mention they are getting paid?

In college, it’s the passion for the schools, NOT THE PLAYERS, that makes the money. Real talk. Fans like us are funding these collectives, and you expect sympathy?
Right they get paid for the season and what used to be a bowl game. Then it was the season a conference championship and then a bowl game. Next they added a second bowl game. Now we are going 2 more. Each of those increases made the schools more money and increased the burdens on players and they had no say in the matter and the schools cost for the workers hasn't increased.

So where is the limit? 19 games? 21 games? They can keep making more money and not really increase their labor costs and they are the only real option for players.

I am not suggesting anyone feel sorry for them. I am suggesting they deserved to be paid for overtime especially since it is bringing in more money.

Reactions: Conman90

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Right they get paid for the season and what used to be a bowl game. Then it was the season a conference championship and then a bowl game. Next they added a second bowl game. Now we are going 2 more. Each of those increases made the schools more money and increased the burdens on players and they had no say in the matter and the schools cost for the workers hasn't increased.

So where is the limit? 19 games? 21 games? They can keep making more money and not really increase their labor costs and they are the only real option for players.

I am not suggesting anyone feel sorry for them. I am suggesting they deserved to be paid for overtime especially since it is bringing in more money.

If it puts a permanent end to NIL, the transfer portal, the “collectives”, and all the other BS, then yes, by all means….pay the players out of the postseason TV money. And do it in the regular season, too.

If it doesn’t do any of those things, then pay those CFP players (and NCAA tourney players in basketball) a cut of that postseason TV money….or don’t. I don’t really care, and I don’t think anyone else really does either. I’m watching less and less college football and basketball each passing year due to how bad both products suck with this quid pro quo and unlimited free agency nonsense. So I’m definitely not in the group that “wants” them to do anything.

Last edited:

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

Let's put to bed the "they play for free"argument. They absolutely don't play for free. They're currently getting a monetary stipend, a $150,000 education, and better room and board than any other student on campus, with as much food as they can possibly eat. They aren't playing for free. Your argument does nothing but drive players to the teams with the best chance of getting to the playoff, further widening the divide between the haves and the have nots

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I think the lower division schools have had extensive playoffs for many years.
I guess for the love of the game.

Not sure what the right answer is, to keep everyone satisfied.
You start really paying playoff players, another can of worms gets opened.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
frustrated the missing GIF by STARZ

What’s it been, 3 weeks since we had this thread? Not directed at you Bruce, just the predictable replies from the usual suspects.

Reactions: dorndawg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The cost of tuition relative to inflation has risen faster than the increase in average games played
If we want to get something straight is doesn't cost the school anything to have a few extra seats in classes that they already have going on. I understand there is internal accounting going on and money is moving from one place to another, but they are just paying themselves in reality.

So even if you put a value on it of 150k, they are paying that for what used to be 12 games. Now the players have to play up to 17 games for that same 150k. In no other "for profit" sport can the employer get away with that.

The NFL payouts start at about $46k for wild card round and go up each round. So they get paid above their salary for those extra games. Don't know why that concept is so tough. These extra games generate their own additional revenue. It is just fair that those people putting themselves at risk of debilitating injuries to provide those games for your entertainment get some of that additional revenue.

Collective Bargaining is coming.

Reactions: Conman90

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am assuming they now have agents who negotiate their NIL or someone does. Just have that negotiated in.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
If it was up to me they'd either get NIL or a transfer portal, but not both. Either by itself is fine but I do not like the impact of both on MSU. The pairing leads to things like our breakout receiver going to collect a bigger payday at Georgia. That's just going to keep happening. I don't begrudge anyone getting whatever money they can, but it does dampen my interest in the overall product a lot when our program can be poached without repercussions.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Fortunately for us, we won't have to worry about it.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I mean... they could say no. There's literally nobody forcing them to play in these games.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
For the last time NIL has nothing to do with the schools. NIL makes each player an independent contractor for his or her Name Image and Likeness. Schools have absolutely no say in the money a player can earn on his or her own as an independent contractor.

One such contract that many enter into is from these collectives, which is a way around the rules. I agree the collectives should be outlawed in some fashion. There contracts are not supposed to be tied directly to any school.

NIL is untouchable by the schools. That is the law at this point. They can jimmy with the portal, but that will open them up to Collective Bargaining even quicker.

Go back to 4 year scholarships.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We just need to go to a farm league system like baseball. Let's see where MSU will fall.......... AAA, AA, or A ball? Should be real interesting. Of course, each level will play for their own championship.
Hundreds of fans will find this interesting and attend weekly.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’ll be honest. I’m not sure right now whether I agree or disagree, but I’ll say this

The problem that a lot of people have right now is that in this new age of NIL and free transfers, they’re operating under the highly false illusion that everyone’s cashing in, and they’re just not. I genuinely cannot wait to see the first actual nation-wide report of NIL figures because I will be shocked to find that anything other than 5-10% of players are getting anything substantial. If even that.

Why does this matter? Because how can we talk about players getting a 30% raise when by and large, it’s only a handful raking in all the cash? Same argument for collective bargaining because while it may make sense for the average joe, Johnny five star sure isn’t going to like anything having to do with spreading the wealth.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll reiterate my belief that anyone thinking NIL resolved anything is a misguided. It just created a new 1% within the players

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’ll be honest. I’m not sure right now whether I agree or disagree, but I’ll say this

The problem that a lot of people have right now is that in this new age of NIL and free transfers, they’re operating under the highly false illusion that everyone’s cashing in, and they’re just not. I genuinely cannot wait to see the first actual nation-wide report of NIL figures because I will be shocked to find that anything other than 5-10% of players are getting anything substantial. If even that.

Why does this matter? Because how can we talk about players getting a 30% raise when by and large, it’s only a handful raking in all the cash? Same argument for collective bargaining because while it may make sense for the average joe, Johnny five star sure isn’t going to like anything having to do with spreading the wealth.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll reiterate my belief that anyone thinking NIL resolved anything is a misguided. It just created a new 1% within the players
You nailed it. It's just overly cynical nimrods who think it's a total pay-for-play. The far majority of these guys are simply trying to get on the field and get a shot at the NFL. Most are likely getting about the same amount as they got on the black market beforehand.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The problem with that concept is the school is not paying these players with TV contract or SEC money. The NIL isn't coming from the school. If they change the rules and allow schools to pay players then sure, why not. They are making millions for the school. That money is separate tho. They can fund the facilities and programs with it. Pay tuition provide dorms and food and Healthcare and nutritionist and even a living stipend. None of that is given to tuition paying students. We already don't have enough money to buy players. Dude, we are having to steal them from Bethune 17n Cookman we are so broke

Conman90

Mar 3, 2008
For the ones who say they already get enough, what about the coaches? Isn't their base contract of millions of dollars enough? But yet, every single one of them have incentives built in for making/winning conference championships, bowl games, and playoffs. By God, when is enough enough, they should coach for the love of the University!**

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I always put this out there... I've always felt like if players don't like the college model, there are no shortage of minor leagues, experimental fall leagues, exhibition teams, or spring leagues that pop up every year.

Don't wanna play college football? Fine. Go to the USFL/XFL, Spring League, Fan Controlled League, etc.
Don't wanna play college basketball? Fine. Go try out for the G-League or head to Europe. I hear the Washington Generals always need an extra hand.
Don't wanna play college baseball? Fine. There are minor league teams affiliated and independent within 50 miles of every podunk town in America.
Don't wanna play college softball? Fine. There are travel leagues paying players all over the midwest.
Don't wanna play college soccer? Fine. There are more options and leagues for soccer than just about any other sport in the world.

I've always felt like the trade-off for taking no salary in college (on top of the tuition, board, training, meals, stipends and other perks) was the access, the platform, and the exposure.

Last edited:

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
By all means lets make sure that the Bamas and Georgias of the world give even more money to their players so the gap widens further.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
For the ones who say they already get enough, what about the coaches? Isn't their base contract of millions of dollars enough? But yet, every single one of them have incentives built in for making/winning conference championships, bowl games, and playoffs. By God, when is enough enough, they should coach for the love of the University!**
Out of control coaching salaries is a big reason we are in this mess.

I've always felt like the trade-off for taking no salary in college (on top of the tuition, board, training, meals, stipends and other perks) was the access, the platform, and the exposure.
I always hear that the schools intentionally push athletes into easy degrees, and that was a big contributing factor to where we are. Not sure I buy that - if you have no idea what you want to do, maybe they do. But at some point you have to make your own decisions. Not to mention they get tutors, etc.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I want to say one other thing though. I do feel like every sport should have a fully funded roster in terms of tuition. The scholarship limits in some of these sports are ridiculously low and I'm hoping the 'autonomy' leagues will break away and form their own limits on that. I get that the Gramblings and New Mexico States of the world can't necessarily afford 30+ scholarships for baseball and softball, but it's ridiculous to not cover the educational expenses of a full roster.

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
For the last time NIL has nothing to do with the schools. NIL makes each player an independent contractor for his or her Name Image and Likeness. Schools have absolutely no say in the money a player can earn on his or her own as an independent contractor.

One such contract that many enter into is from these collectives, which is a way around the rules. I agree the collectives should be outlawed in some fashion. There contracts are not supposed to be tied directly to any school.

NIL is untouchable by the schools. That is the law at this point. They can jimmy with the portal, but that will open them up to Collective Bargaining even quicker.

Go back to 4 year scholarships.
Its a small cost compared to the revenue that's brought into the program. Try and find an ex or present day athlete who thinks the equation is equal between school and athletes. Its just not. Quite often its the wedge that separates an athlete when he graduates from school. (They aren't lining up to help with the fund raising.) The average athlete at MSU (and other schools) is NOT making bank.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Out of control coaching salaries is a big reason we are in this mess.

I always hear that the schools intentionally push athletes into easy degrees, and that was a big contributing factor to where we are. Not sure I buy that - if you have no idea what you want to do, maybe they do. But at some point you have to make your own decisions. Not to mention they get tutors, etc.
Many athletes are the only people in school that are required to study something other than what they really want to do for a career. Yes there are athletes that use that scholarship to become doctors, lawyers, bankers, engineers, etc. However there are quite a few in the sports that have pro careers, that are there to take their shot in that pro sports career. These power 5 schools should have pro sports majors and do everything they can to help their students succeed in the career of their choice, as they do for every other student on campus. There are many majors in universities that are in careers with limited opportunities. Should we not have acting, music, art, French literature just because the chance of big financial success is small?

Reactions: Spotdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Many athletes are the only people in school that are required to study something other than what they really want to do for a career. Yes there are athletes that use that scholarship to become doctors, lawyers, bankers, engineers, etc. However there are quite a few in the sports that have pro careers, that are there to take their shot in that pro sports career. These power 5 schools should have pro sports majors and do everything they can to help their students succeed in the career of their choice, as they do for every other student on campus. There are many majors in universities that are in careers with limited opportunities. Should we not have acting, music, art, French literature just because the chance of big financial success is small?
Problem is, chances of pro sports are small. So not sure I can agree there. Maybe a sports degree or something, to get into coaching/broadcasting/etc.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Problem is, chances of pro sports are small. So not sure I can agree there. Maybe a sports degree or something, to get into coaching/broadcasting/etc.
Becoming a famous actor is smaller. I see the same few hundred people in all the movies and tv shows I watch. My daughter was a DJ in radio and there are very few of those jobs that are available. She had to move on from it as many of the people she worked with did. A famous musician is limited. Why is it any of your business what someone else wants to do? It's their life.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Remind me again, when did the purpose of colleges and universities become about fielding sports teams and not about education? Why should there be a curriculum for “things to know to pursue a career in entertainment…I mean pro sports”?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login