12-team playoff really opens up college football

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
In nine seasons of the 4-team playoff, 14 teams have at least one CFP appearance. If we apply the 12-team playoff format to the past nine seasons, 29 additional teams would have at least one appearance, including Mississippi State.

The biggest winner of expansion is Penn State. They have never been to the CFP, but they would have five appearances under the 12-team format. The biggest loser of expansion is Alabama. They have seven appearances in nine seasons and would only have one more appearance under the 12-team format (this year). They would have had to win at least one more game to win the CFP (quarterfinal vs. semifinal). In 2017 Alabama would have had to win two more games on their way to the title. Ohio State is the only team that would have never missed a CFP under the 12-team format.

Realistically, we need to win 10 games to make a 12-team playoff. 9-3 is possible but unlikely. Our most likely path to the CFP:
  • 4-0 vs. non-con
  • 4-0 vs. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, SEC East team not named Georgia
  • 2-2 vs. Alabama, LSU, A&M, and Auburn
Looking forward to a much more open college football. We need to do whatever it takes to be a potential CFP team and occasionally make it. No more excuses.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I really don't like the early rounds being played on the higher seed's campus. Believe they should utilize existing bowls from around the country to lead up to the Final Four so-to-speak. Even include some up north indoor pro stadiums like Indianapolis, Detroit, or Minneapolis if need be. St. Louis still has a very nice former pro indoor stadium downtown that no team really uses.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I really don't like the early rounds being played on the higher seed's campus. Believe they should utilize existing bowls from around the country to lead up to the Final Four so-to-speak. Even include some up north indoor pro stadiums like Indianapolis, Detroit, or Minneapolis if need be. St. Louis still has a very nice former pro indoor stadium downtown that no team really uses.
I would say the opposite. All but the final should be at the higher seed's site. Not only does it give an advantage to the team that earned it by having a better regular season, it's asking a lot for fans to travel all over the country to multiple neutral sites on little notice.

Much better to have packed out home stadiums.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I would have to mildly but respectfully disagree. I believe the opportunity to showcase a campus and a town / city and promote local and/or regional economic development is a plus.

By way of example, Indianapolis has great success getting conferences and has pro sports events. Cities like that won't lose out by not hosting another sporting event. By way of comparison, smaller cities and towns (liek Starkville) could get a huge lift by being the backdrop for such an event. Not to mention it will help showcase the hosting universities.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I would say the opposite. All but the final should be at the higher seed's site. Not only does it give an advantage to the team that earned it by having a better regular season, it's asking a lot for fans to travel all over the country to multiple neutral sites on little notice.

Totally agree. Do away with the corporate suckfest that is the neutral site games and do it where college football shines brightest….on the campus.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I like the first round being on campus but would like to see the first four teams who exit in the first round be able to go to a real bowl game afterwards. Let’s say Mississippi State goes 10-2 and is the 10-seed in the playoff and we have to travel to a better seed’s stadium. Maybe one up north in the freezing cold. That shouldn’t be the final reward for the team if we lose. We should play one more game. Bowl selection should include placeholders for the first four to exit the playoff.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I like the first round being on campus but would like to see the first four teams who exit in the first round be able to go to a real bowl game afterwards. Let’s say Mississippi State goes 10-2 and is the 10-seed in the playoff and we have to travel to a better seed’s stadium. Maybe one up north in the freezing cold. That shouldn’t be the final reward for the team if we lose. We should play one more game. Bowl selection should include placeholders for the first four to exit the playoff.
If you think opt-outs are bad now, imagine how many opt-outs there would be if the playoff losers went to a bowl afterward.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think a bowl after a playoff loss would be a pretty empty reward. Can’t imagine either the players or the fans having any enthusiasm for it.

patdog

May 28, 2007

This is the right answer. And the final should be bid out each year like the Super Bowl is. Not played at an existing bowl site (unless that city bids the most).

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
More teams in a playoff will more opportunities to teams.

Yeah, makes sense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login