13 commitments now equals a #44 ranking??

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The Lord Of The Rings Mueller Report GIF by reactionseditor

Oct 7, 2022
Stars is never the thing(for me) to go by. I put more on the offer list. The latest one had offers from Mississippi, Miami, GT, Ark, & Houston. I wouldn’t call that chopped liver.

Oct 7, 2022
Yea, it’s not recruiting any more. It’s managing a salary cap.
Coastal Carolina’s retiring baseball coach had the best parting shot I’ve seen.
It won’t last. It can’t. Well…..it can and nothing surprises me anymore. But, if it’s going to survive, it can’t continue.
My stance for 20 years has been the “haves” in college football should be paying very close attention to nascar because that is their future.

Ok. You kick out all the “have nots”. What you got then? Massive money but somebody still has to lose and these aren’t people that can handle losing.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Stars is never the thing(for me) to go by. I put more on the offer list. The latest one had offers from Mississippi, Miami, GT, Ark, & Houston. I wouldn’t call that chopped liver.
Just one of 13? If you notice, top 20 teams' croots have avg ratings of upper 89's and higher. We've been hauling in 86's & 87's. But I don't follow crootin' cuz I'm too intelligent fer dat. I just like to sign in to crootin' threads and let erybody know dat.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just one of 13? If you notice, top 20 teams' croots have avg ratings of upper 89's and higher. We've been hauling in 86's & 87's. But I don't follow crootin' cuz I'm too intelligent fer dat. I just like to sign in to crootin' threads and let erybody know dat.
I don’t put too much stock in recruiting ranking sites. But it’s not likely they’re that wrong on that many recruits. It’s early, but this is shaping up to be 1980s bad.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
NIL IS Needed to do better BUT:
  1. State will most likely finish top 30 as always
  2. NIL- Is it good idea to not bid price up now? May wait until later to do that but keep on recruiting if there is a possibility to flip later… there are a couple good ones we may get like that
  3. Lots of players have not even been ranked from smaller schools…. This is common, recruiting services evaluate small school guys poorly due to competition levels, coaches see them in camps. These guys will always get limited evaluations early and usually end up mid-3 to low-4 before it’s done.

This is not impressive.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don’t put too much stock in recruiting ranking sites. But it’s not likely they’re that wrong on that many recruits. It’s early, but this is shaping up to be 1980s bad.
Recruiting services don’t rank players as quickly as in years past because they don’t have as big of staffs and they only go to the big school camps so it takes forever for some of these guys to get evaluated if ever. Not saying these are elite recruits by any means but the rankings are pretty worthless.

Reactions: Hot Rock

Big Dawg81

Oct 7, 2019
I don’t think that there is a 25 limit anymore as long as you keep the roster to 85 or less. I think under Lebby, we will use the portal a lot more. I think some of these players that are currently committed will not sign. I think Lebby will recruit over them or use the portal to take their roster spot.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Granted Lebby hasn’t built a track record, but generally I feel like if staffs are getting commitments they want to take in the summer and fall, that’s a good sign.

I guess it could be that Lebby’s strategy is to fill the boat and then upgrade with better commitments when possible, but that seems like it’d be asking for a problem in the future.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If there's one thing I definitely do not care about anymore in this era of college football - it's summer commitments from high school players.

I don't think it ever mattered in the old days. The classes generally were the same for all the teams, year to year (based on blue blood status, fanbase, resources, etc.), barring a sliding scale here or there for a good coach. Sometimes you could have a peak here or there, or if you were outright buying guys like SMU and Ole Miss. But overall it was about what your coach was doing and if you could get the right guys to fit that. It took years of winning (or a lot of money) to break recruiting glass ceilings. The crootin services certainly didn't (and don't) want people to believe that, because well, their money. And hey it was good drama sometimes. But nowadays, who really cares at all? I could maybe see folks getting fired up about a portal QB I suppose.

That's what makes this next season and future scary - it's Ole Miss' ideal environment.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Same song, different verse. Football, baseball, basketball... it really doesn't matter because we're in the same boat with all of them.

Can't afford the elite and we're not getting any of the 4-star or upper tier 3-stars that LSU, Bama, UT, etc want, so we end up with a Top 30-40th ranked class that is good enough for 10th-12th in the SEC. Fast forward a year and half our 30th ranked class is gone, so we try to fill in the holes with some low budget transfers that none of the above mentioned schools wanted. Rinse, repeat...

If I sound miserable, I'm not. I just have enough awareness to realize that this is where we are with college sports, and our situations with NIL and overall athletic budget are not "fine". It may be better that it was 2-3 years ago, but the problem is that all the schools we're recruiting against are 10x better than 2-3 years ago. How do I know? Because every head coach on campus is repeatedly getting his/her *** handed to them on the recruiting trail aside from the occasional, rare exception when we pull in a hometown kid from a couple hours away.

The best we can hope for in virtually any sport at the moment is that we hire a coaching staff that can develop talent(like Mullen and maybe Jans?), and we somehow gather enough NIL to keep said talent + the coaches in Starkville. We are fighting an incredibly steep, uphill battle that I don't think 70% of our fanbase has accepted

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I watched a mid tier big ten message board have a melt down because the number one in state player chose Georgia. they insisted it was about off season work, tradition etc...BS. Georgia can cut the kid a check for 800K and they couldn’t. They Could match it but then they wouldn’t have the money in their budget to sign all the other players they want. Georgia has no salary cap, just like Texas can entertain visits with parking lots full of Lamborghinis.

Kind of like the Yankees vs the Oakland As payroll only there is no revenue sharing

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login