15 in the portal for Coach Prime

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Can't wait to watch this train wreck. He's not going to be able to assemble the personnel needed to out-talent folks like he did in the SWAC, even in a watered-down Pac-10. Portal just doesn't have that much available to a program like Colorado, even with a celebrity coach.

And we know he's a hired gun and doesn't have some 'passion' or whatever, because he took the Colorado job.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Can't wait to watch this train wreck. He's not going to be able to assemble the personnel needed to out-talent folks like he did in the SWAC, even in a watered-down Pac-10. Portal just doesn't have that much available to a program like Colorado, even with a celebrity coach.

And we know he's a hired gun and doesn't have some 'passion' or whatever, because he took the Colorado job.
Colorado boosters have shown their ability to hep’ before.

Reactions: mike tice

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022

Bad take. He will win much more than they have recently. They have had 1 willing season in 10 years. And that was 4-2 in the covid year. He will win and there will be excuses as to why ... But he will win. What he did at JSU is incredible. Yes better players . Hell yes recruiting is the biggest part of college coaching. Hide and watch.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Has he made any comments, since these guys (15) announced for the portal?
Did he invite them to leave, now? I know he did a group earlier.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Why would anyone be surprised based on his initital meeting with players? Time will tell if he's now in over his head and I look forward to seeing it play out.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Leaving JSU to go to Colorado shows you are a hired gun? How?

I mean the overwhelmingly majority of coaches out there right now would make that move. As they probably should.

No idea if he will be successful or not at Colorado but he made it pretty clear from day 1 a lot of the players currently there wouldn’t remain there.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I like coach Prime and am pulling for him myself. I know he can recruit some players the question to me will be can he get together a good staff and work with them.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
19 players today. I think it is 41 players gone since the infamous team meeting. Ain’t no way he’s upgrading more than a handful roster spots, besides Shaduer and Travis Hunter. There just aren’t that many quality players in the portal to go around, and CU is competing against 68 other P5 schools. I doubt the overall talent level is raised much, and Deion will end up reaching for kids just to fill out a roster.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Sounds like the Buff fans are happy with their direction.........

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Running off guys who don't want to buy into the direction of your program is not a bad thing. Especially when they won only one game I believe last year. They may be talented, but uncoachable. I believe he will be strong in recruiting with his over the top personality and he has a lot of relationships with NFL quality coaches which he was able to bring into J State, so I'm sure he can get them to go to boulder.

Also, the PAC 12 is a dying conference. He should be able to win quickly there with the exodus of power schools. I'm not sure if Colorado doesn't end back up in the Big 12 eventually. That is still a winnable conference as well.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Why would anyone be surprised based on his initital meeting with players? Time will tell if he's now in over his head and I look forward to seeing it play out.
I was about to ask… didn’t he basically tell the team that half of them weren’t gonna be around next season in their very first team meeting?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He MAY win, but I doubt it. I don't see it happening any time soon. They have been just butt ugly TURRIBLE for the last 15 seasons, that's as far back as the schedule would take me. They are 62-116 in the last 15 seasons (4-7 avg), with 1 (ONE) winning season during that span minus 4-2 Covid year. Players aren't suddenly going to just line up to go there because of some guy that hasn't played in 18 years is there, and in this day and age of coaches getting 2 or 3 seasons I just don't see him doing it.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
19 players today. I think it is 41 players gone since the infamous team meeting. Ain’t no way he’s upgrading more than a handful roster spots, besides Shaduer and Travis Hunter. There just aren’t that many quality players in the portal to go around, and CU is competing against 68 other P5 schools. I doubt the overall talent level is raised much, and Deion will end up reaching for kids just to fill out a roster.
They went 1-11 last year, with the only win being an OT win over Cal - who was also a bad team. If there was ever a case for blowing up your roster and starting over, this was it.

Croom and Sherrill in their absolute worst seasons did not go 1-11. Granted Colorado had a tough schedule but still, they were very close to an 0-12 season. If we're in that situation I'm totally fine with a new coach cleaning house.

Reactions: patdog

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
He MAY win, but I doubt it. I don't see it happening any time soon. They have been just butt ugly TURRIBLE for the last 15 seasons, that's as far back as the schedule would take me. They are 62-116 in the last 15 seasons (4-7 avg), with 1 (ONE) winning season during that span minus 4-2 Covid year. Players aren't suddenly going to just line up to go there because of some guy that hasn't played in 18 years is there, and in this day and age of coaches getting 2 or 3 seasons I just don't see him doing it.
You're probably right, but if he wins 4 games this season that shows a lot of improvement. Success at Colorado is going to be going 6-6 or 7-5 more often than not at this point.

JSU is a different animal - their fanbase is very demanding, especially with respect to competing in the SWAC, because W.C. Gordon always had them playing well. Still, what Sanders accomplished there was phenomenal.

If the NIL train gets rolling, in combination with his presence, Colorado can win pretty big. Prime knows what it takes to make it in the NFL, and he knows how to market himself properly. Those are very attractive to talented players that want to make the league.

But yeah, it won't be this year for sure.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
You're probably right, but if he wins 4 games this season that shows a lot of improvement. Success at Colorado is going to be going 6-6 or 7-5 more often than not at this point.
Fans rushed the field after their 1 win last season. Could you imagine what they'll be saying if he comes in and wins 4? That 9 game conference schedule doesn't leave room for many easy games, and they open the year with TCU.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Fans rushed the field after their 1 win last season. Could you imagine what they'll be saying if he comes in and wins 4? That 9 game conference schedule doesn't leave room for many easy games, and they open the year with TCU.

Exactly. That's why I agree he won't duplicate his quick success at JSU, but he doesn't have to. If he can get them to respectability (a la Mississippi State) and 6-8 wins per season he will have accomplished quite a bit. They have a ways to go before they challenge for league titles or playoff spots.

Reactions: kired

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
He’s not allowing one of the TEs transferring to have access to his film. If you want to run off players, fine but don’t be an asshat.

Reactions: aTotal360

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Running off guys who don't want to buy into the direction of your program is not a bad thing. Especially when they won only one game I believe last year. They may be talented, but uncoachable. I believe he will be strong in recruiting with his over the top personality and he has a lot of relationships with NFL quality coaches which he was able to bring into J State, so I'm sure he can get them to go to boulder.

Also, the PAC 12 is a dying conference. He should be able to win quickly there with the exodus of power schools. I'm not sure if Colorado doesn't end back up in the Big 12 eventually. That is still a winnable conference as well.
He made a rule about no weed at a school in a State where most of those guys probably signed with CU just so they could buy weed freely. They probably all headed to Oregon State or Washington State. I’m sure football was secondary and education was tertiary for most of them.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It's hardly a surprise. At the very first meeting he told them to pound sand and find a new school cause he was bringing his team with him. Basically told them they were losers and sucked. And looking at last year's record they were

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The guy is being a huge dick about it. I hope he fails.

no paywall option, for those of us not quite in Fish's tax bracket.

Reading that article is really interesting because it shows the other side of major D1 football that many here(and elsewhere) dont acknowledge- a lot of kids dont have NIL money and werent being paid by bag men.
Meanwhile, recruiting rules have relaxed and now coaches can sign more than 25 in a season and coaches can also just drop players without penalty. Those two changes will allow a roster to be overhauled quickly, but they also are very much not rules that protect players.
I mention this only because a popular narrative over the last few years has been that NIL makes players basically paid assassins and they will jump ship if they dont play right away or arent featured or whatever else. Yes, that is for sure accurate in some instances. But still, this article should help highlight that portal players may not entirely want to transfer and they are forced out. That isnt a revelation, but its something worth remembering.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Deion is going to win at Colorado. It may take an additional year to flip that community college roster they have, but he will do it. No doubt about it.
he will do better than 1 and 11 but please show me the guaranteed 6 W's are on their schedule.
  • @TCU
  • Nebraska
  • Colorado State
  • @Oregon
  • @USC
  • @az State
  • Stanford
  • @UCLA
  • @Oregon State
  • Arizona
  • Washington State
  • @Utah
I see 8 losses year 1 and year 2. Meanwhile, Prime Time is yappin all about how amazing their new QB did in the spring game. Roll the cameras (not his camera crew, get footage of the real stuff going on next season)

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Prime is down to 13 scholarship players remaining from last years roster
law and order crazy shit GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login