2 minute warnings coming..

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
"This will also help broadcast partners to avoid back-to-back media timeouts."

This is all you need to know about this. The 2 minute warning has nothing to do with playing football. It has to do with broadcasting football which was the reason it was implemented in pro football many years ago.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

This is all you need to know about this. The 2 minute warning has nothing to do with playing football. It has to do with broadcasting football which was the reason it was implemented in pro football many years ago.
Exactly. Complete and utter nonsense.

Multiple changes to the running clock rules have already been implemented in the name of “speeding up the game”, yet the CBS 2:30 game still always takes 4.5 damn hours to complete because the new clock rules were really just created to allot more time for commercials and advertising. It was never about “speeding up the game” at all. They still have all the same problems getting games to finish on time and having to air the start of the next game on partner networks, etc.

Reactions: HOVER and patdog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the quote. We're going to cut down on media timeouts by.... instituting a media timeout

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
so people still watch games live? who has 4 hrs to waste - i can workout, go for a run, sauna, shower, and prep a meal and watch the game in this amount of time

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The prime time media placement buy is at these 2 minute warning times, so ESPN will be lobbying for it obviously.

It is just a way to sell ads for a higher premium on a regular basis.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Having a 2-minute warning is fine. Having it for advertising reasons is not.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

patdog

May 28, 2007
You could also do all that sometime in the other 165 hours of the week that your team isn’t playing a football game. But to each his own.
Or you could do all that plus watch the game in the 4 hours a typical game takes. There's only like 11 minutes of any action in the game anyway.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Or you could do all that plus watch the game in the 4 hours a typical game takes. There's only like 11 minutes of any action in the game anyway.
Thats fine for some, I’m sure. Its just too much work for me to try and watch a game on delay without getting blown up by group text, phone alerts, social media, etc. and keep spoilers from happening. Part of the enjoyment of any sporting event is the natural pacing and emotional buildup and payoff (or disappointment) that happens from play to play or moment to moment. Doesn’t sound like there can be any sort of real enjoyment from watching an entire college football game in 11 minutes.

Now, if for whatever reason I’m tied up for the first hour or so of a game….will I sit down and watch from beginning and then fast forward through dead space, commercials, and halftime until I catch up in real time? Absolutely. To me, that’s the happy medium. Can watch entire game in 2-2.5 hrs max, and can bail within 5-10 min of it heading way south and not get stuck watching a slow moving train wreck.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Thats fine for some, I’m sure. Its just too much work for me to try and watch a game on delay without getting blown up by group text, phone alerts, social media, etc. and keep spoilers from happening. Part of the enjoyment of any sporting event is the natural pacing and emotional buildup and payoff (or disappointment) that happens from play to play or moment to moment. Doesn’t sound like there can be any sort of real enjoyment from watching an entire college football game in 11 minutes.
I've found myself enjoying the benefits of going both ways (insert Michael Scott here). Depending on the sport, I know approximately how long I can let the game go before I can catch up in time to be live for the last few minutes.
Comes in handy on Saturdays when I have something time-consuming around the house/yard that has to be done and I don't want to limit myself to listening on the radio.
I do have to avoid my phone, as I have several friends who have spoiled things before. It's happened enough that some of us will send an initial text asking if the other person is watching live.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007

Now, if for whatever reason I’m tied up for the first hour or so of a game….will I sit down and watch from beginning and then fast forward through dead space, commercials, and halftime until I catch up in real time? Absolutely. To me, that’s the happy medium. Can watch entire game in 2-2.5 hrs max, and can bail within 5-10 min of it heading way south and not get stuck watching a slow moving train wreck.
There's a happy medium. Sometimes to do watch live. But with college football, it's almost unbearable. I usually wait about an hour to an hour and a half after the game starts to start watching. I do like to keep the pacing of the game, so I only skip commercials (I'm not skipping from the end of one play to the start of the next). That usually gets me finished about the time the game finishes. I do have to make the effort to turn my phone on silent and stay off the Internet.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Or y’all could watch the entire game live, have a few drinks, and enjoy the things that keep most of us coming back here. Mississippi State. I would suggest making a few friends and having them come watch games with you. Maybe shower before they show up, like during Game Day. Run that morning before. Enjoy the little things, even if they piss you off more than they bring joy.

Reactions: Motodawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think they should limit the number of players on the team to 53. They are now professional football players and college needs professional rules.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Having a 2-minute warning is fine. Having it for advertising reasons is not.
🤷‍♂️ Every sport except soccer has some sort of 'media timeout' that in some way interferes with the overall flow of the game.

Reactions: onewoof

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
One things for sure, it gives us more time to think about how not to.manage the clock. And, also gives an extra TO to pull the offense off the field on 4th and 1 from the +40 so the punt team will have time to take the field.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
so people still watch games live? who has 4 hrs to waste - i can workout, go for a run, sauna, shower, and prep a meal and watch the game in this amount of time
We get it, you don’t like college sports.

THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW ON A COLLEGE SPORTS MESSAGE BOARD.

There are plenty of CrossFit boards you can discuss this on.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
🤷‍♂️ Every sport except soccer has some sort of 'media timeout' that in some way interferes with the overall flow of the game.
Baseball also doesn’t. But it also does a pretty good job of interfering with the flow of the game without help from media timeouts.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Baseball also doesn’t. But it also does a pretty good job of interfering with the flow of the game without help from media timeouts.
True. Between the 17 half innings and the pitching changes, I'm not really sure how many more commercial spots you could squeeze in there.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I think I enjoy the idea of Cheez-its better than actual Cheez-its.
I enjoy actual Cheez-its. They are the best snack food. Period. The issue is that you can’t ever deviate from the original or extra toasty. Everything else is an abomination, including extra toasty bold cheddar. After I read your post, I literally walked to my car and ate the rest of the Cheez-its I had in the box that I bought two days ago but was too ashamed to bring into the house in front of my wife. IM NOT EVEN JOKING.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login