2-PAC adds 4 schools. Now 6-PAC

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why not go on and add the rest of the Mountain West at this point? Wouldn't be surprised to see Stanford and Cal come back.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You know that's just the beginning. They'll get another 4-8 MWC schools and leave the leftovers behind.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why not go on and add the rest of the Mountain West at this point? Wouldn't be surprised to see Stanford and Cal come back.
They don't want the rest of the MWC. If they could get Stanford and Cal back, that would be major win for them. Not sure if that's possible now though.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
x-pac wrestling GIF by WWE

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Whatever the reconstructed PAC is it won't be a power conference. I don't think Cal and Stanford will be back, as long as the ACC holds together. If the ACC disintegrates then I could see it, if none of the other power conferences will take them.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
They don't want the rest of the MWC. If they could get Stanford and Cal back, that would be major win for them. Not sure if that's possible now though.
Eventually it’s going to happen.
Cal and Stanford aren’t going to continue to traverse the country every other weekend to play games.
This whole conference realignment thing is so 17-ed up.
At this point the Presidents and AD’s and Commissioners aren’t looking out for the best interest of the “student athletes”
I wish I could tell Greg Sankey what a joke it is and what a dubmass he is to still call them “student athletes” at least in the Big 3 of men’s sports.

Reactions: 17itdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Cal and Stanford aren’t going to continue to traverse the country every other weekend to play games.
That's my thought. I know in this day and age charter air travel is easy, but this is extreme - literally across the country as you say.

At the end of the day we're going to end up with roughly the same SEC and B1G, and a semi-stabilized ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 it appears. I think the musical chairs will be between the latter 3, not the former 2.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Scholars lost the translation years ago. I’ll be honest, I don’t think anyone knows what it means.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Is the PAC adding schools or is the PAC2 joining the MWC?*** Because it doesn't matter what label you give that conference, it won't be a P5 in reality. Like when Memphis joined the "Big East" and the conference shortly thereafter became the AAC.

HOWEVER, does the PAC still have their bowl tie ins and TV contract? I have no idea.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Eventually it’s going to happen.
This whole conference realignment thing is so 17-ed up.
At this point the Presidents and AD’s and Commissioners aren’t looking out for the best interest of the “student athletes”
I wish I could tell Greg Sankey what a joke it is and what a dubmass he is to still call them “student athletes” at least in the Big 3 of men’s sports.
Cal and Stanford see themselves academically as better fits in the ACC and although it's not the SEC or Big 10, it's still a power conference and more in line with how they want to compete athletically. The geography is stupid, but the factors that matter more to them will keep them in the ACC.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
They are going to have to add at least 2 more by 2026 to be considered a real conference in NCAA eyes…. My guess is they are kicking the Cal/Stanford tires, but won’t get very far and then end up with a UNLV and Air Force type add to get to 8

Reactions: patdog and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Is the PAC adding schools or is the PAC2 joining the MWC?*** Because it doesn't matter what label you give that conference, it won't be a P5 in reality. Like when Memphis joined the "Big East" and the conference shortly thereafter became the AAC.

HOWEVER, does the PAC still have their bowl tie ins and TV contract? I have no idea.
The current PAC TV contract is with the CW (except for 2 games that appear on Fox/FS1), but it's only a one year deal.

They were, however, able to hold on to all of their bowl tie-ins, but it's kind of a weird deal because not only do Oregon State and Washington State have access to those bowls, the 'legacy' schools that left this year also have access to those bowls (Alamo, Holiday, Sun, LA, Independence, and one unnamed ESPN owned bowl), but not the bowls of their new conferences. For example, USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon won't be eligible for the Citrus Bowl, but could end up in the Holiday Bowl. Stanford and Cal won't be eligible for the Duke's Mayo Bowl, but could end up in the Sun Bowl. Funnily enough, the Big 12 could technically fill both sides of the Alamo Bowl since the four corners schools would eligible on one side and the traditional Big 12 schools would eligible on the other side (though I'm sure all involved will prevent that).

That ends in 2026 though, so both the TV deal and the bowl tie-ins would expire before these teams join.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon13

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
They are going to have to add at least 2 more by 2026 to be considered a real conference in NCAA eyes…. My guess is they are kicking the Cal/Stanford tires, but won’t get very far and then end up with a UNLV and Air Force type add to get to 8
Texas State
Idaho

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Few things I feel are genuinely interesting about this:
1. There's a $17-$18 Million exit fee per school with a 2 year notice for the MWC, which means they effectively withhold their media payout for the previous two years.

2. The MWC TV contract ends in 2026, so I don't know if the exit fee is really going to be enforced (though their commissioner said she expects them to pay it).

3. Part of the Pac-12 scheduling agreement with the Mountain West included some pretty sharp fees for poaching a member before August 2, 2027. It ends up being almost $11 Million per school, so these 4 schools are going to cost the Pac-12 about $44 Million in penalties alone.

4. That ends up being well over $100 Million to add these 4 schools. I know Oregon State and Washington State got a windfall from the Pac-12 settlement and media payouts, but are they really going to dump that into freeing 4 MWC schools?

5. Dissolving the Mountain West requires 9 of their 12 football playing members to vote, so these 4 may just be the first set of dominos. If they get 5 more MWC schools to join the Pac 12, then they can get enough votes in the next two years to dissolve the MWC and not have to pay the exit fees or the penalties. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw San Jose State, UNLV, Air Force, and some combo of Wyoming/Nevada/New Mexico/Utah State get picked off as well. That would give them the 9 they need to dissolve the MWC and avoid the payouts. I left Hawaii out because they don't currently have a real stadium and I'm not sure they're even going to be in the FBS in the next 5 years.

6. It's a fantasy to believe Cal or Stanford will leave the ACC for a duct taped version of the Pac-12. I also don't think it's likely they'll bring in anybody in the FCS unless the above scenario falls through.

7. Most MWC members make about $4-$5 Million per year from their media payout. Boise makes more than the rest because of the deal made when they joined the conference, so theirs is closer to $7-8 Million. Now, that's low in the grand scheme of things, but it's money in hand and I don't think they're going to make less during the next round of media negotiations. This tells me that the Pac probably has some deal ready with some outlet that's going to get them above the $10 Million per school range.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login