2 Signees Added Today: Magee & Knight

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Most everyone felt Magee was a done deal, but he made it official today. Knight was a bit of a surprise. He’s a 4-star edge defender that was committed (and actually signed with) Illinois. Apparently had a class that wouldn’t transfer to Illinois so he opened things back up and signed with us today.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Most everyone felt Magee was a done deal, but he made it official today. Knight was a bit of a surprise. He’s a 4-star edge defender that was committed (and actually signed with) Illinois. Apparently had a class that wouldn’t transfer to Illinois so he opened things back up and signed with us today.

No. 267 player nationally... I'll take that.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Knight was a bit of a surprise. He’s a 4-star edge defender that was committed (and actually signed with) Illinois. Apparently had a class that wouldn’t transfer to Illinois so he opened things back up and signed with us today.
So the Ayers case helped us this time? **

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Nah...we had 1 more to give and Knight took that spot so we're full for the spring.We're going to process some players after the spring(and add some) either way though.
Plus, there's no more 25 player per year cap anymore. The only scholarship limit is the 85 player total limit and who knows what that's going to look like by the time we get to fall.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
anybody on our roster can transfer at any time. Are we supposed to not get excited about getting good players now?
Not freshmen. Even the super 5 stars don't really even do much as freshmen. And even if they have a semi-decent season, they're rocking the transfer boat.

Guess I should rephrase. You can get excited all you want, I suppose. But it's pointless.

Irondawg75

Oct 4, 2023
Not freshmen. Even the super 5 stars don't really even do much as freshmen. And even if they have a semi-decent season, they're rocking the transfer boat.

Guess I should rephrase. You can get excited all you want, I suppose. But it's pointless.
you seem fun to be around.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Maybe I am, maybe I am not. But wake me up when we land a big name JUCO or portal guy who will contribute immediately.
It's ALWAYS good to get a 4/5 star player to sign, regardless of their class. It is a bonus if they can contribute immediately. But, regardless of class it's better to have a roster of 4/5 star players waiting to go in than it is 2 stars. Also, if you look to the north of us you'll see how it can be used to promote the program as moving in the right direction. And perceptions will matter when the teams with the same records are sifted thru to fill the lower tier playoff spots.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's ALWAYS good to get a 4/5 star player to sign, regardless of their class. It is a bonus if they can contribute immediately. But, regardless of class it's better to have a roster of 4/5 star players waiting to go in than it is 2 stars. Also, if you look to the north of us you'll see how it can be used to promote the program as moving in the right direction. And perceptions will matter when the teams with the same records are sifted thru to fill the lower tier playoff spots.
Sure. But I'm not going to get excited or even care. While I think that college football in general COULD POSSIBLY be in a pretty good place starting next year with the 12-team playoff, I think the recruiting industry is in a bad place. I think many fans are going to jump ship on the yearly following of recruiting. I used to believe too, as you do. Back in the late 2000s, to me it was always, "well if we sign this guy, get through next year, make a bowl game, then sign these 3 guys, we can BUILD!!!". I was delusional. Not only did we max out that system with Mullen, the system has now changed on us - and not for the better.

As far as all this perception, well, that's never really been MSU's game, so I just wonder the amount of resources we expend to get this perception bump that you speak of. Seems to me like we're just trying to keep up and we basically keep our current standing, never improving. Ole Miss is more adept at playing this game, as they've demonstrated. I mean look at what happened last time we were both competing at the highest of levels together - they had Freeze who was spending big money, and we had Mullen running a niche offense with average players. Thing is, we'd be in that same position now with Kiffin and Leach, had he lived. That's what sucks.

To me, it all depends on what Lebby does. If he tries to be Kiffin, he will fail. If he's more Mullen/Leach, he has a chance. The bigger problem is, our brass hired him to be like Kiffin - which does not work at MSU. So what does this tell you about our vision?

Last edited:

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Running
I mean look at what happened last time we were both competing at the highest of levels together - they had Freeze who was spending big money, and we had Mullen running a niche offense with average players. Thing is, we'd be in that same position now with Kiffin and Leach, had he lived. That's what sucks.
I'm still back to my original point of 4 and 5 star players subbing in is better than 2 and 3 star players, niche offense or not.
If signing a 4 star freshman brings a smile to a fan's face (as it should) there's no reason to be a killjoy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Running

I'm still back to my original point of 4 and 5 star players subbing in is better than 2 and 3 star players, niche offense or not.
If signing a 4 star freshman brings a smile to a fan's face (as it should) there's no reason to be a killjoy.
Message boards are for opinions. TBH, mine really shouldn't mean too much to you.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
So just tell me where we ended up in the “recruiting rankings”
If we finished in the Top 25 I guess we did ok overall.
Would love to see us string together a few Top 20 classes and maybe even bump up close to Top 10 one out of every 3-4 years or so.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Yes, he was hired to be like Kiffin offensively, not all the other shenanigans and drama queen stuff. If we can produce a well oiled offense consistently and be exciting in the games we lose, it will be a win for us in the long run. Everybody wants to play for an exciting offense, even defensive players.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login