2 wins taken from us

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
Folks, we've had two wins TAKEN from us by the officials. I'm not one to usually get hung up on officiating, but I cant get over it. I'm infuriated. Just think about our season in we didn't get jobbed? 8-2 ranked in the Top 10. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Next year, even with the harder schedule, we are gonna be damn good.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I'll give you Memphis, even though we never should have been in that position to let it get that close to matter. But you are really stretching it on Arkansas. We had plenty of opportunities to win, and if the defense hadn't allowed a non-passing offense to march right down the field in a minute and a half, it's a win.

Just get over it and chalk it up to being a young team. We spotted LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and La Tech double digit leads. Should have never happened with any of them. We had the resiliency to come back in 2 of them. The only reason we didn't fall behind NC State was because of Tulu.

The bigger question is do we build off this momentum and finish the season strong, or do we go out with a whimper.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I'll give you Memphis, even though we never should have been in that position to let it get that close to matter.

I won't even give him Memphis. When that ref signaled the punt dead, we were already losing. It was Memphis' ball. For all we know, Memphis could have scored on the next play. Even if the defense held them, there is no guarantee we would score again. I would rather not have given Memphis a TD on that play, but what would happen next is just guess work.

We easily could have lost to La. Tech, too. Instead of whining about Memphis and Arkansas, we should hope the team finds a way to stop digging these holes.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Dude, both those games could have been won if State had played better. We were the better team and failed to play to our abilities, especially early in the game.

Allowing Memphis to be in that game is their own fault. They have to learn how to come out of the gate playing well or they will lose more of games that we think they could or should have won.

28-3 come backs are fun to watch but that can't be the norm if this team wants to take the next step.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
You're 100% right. We should have. Should never have been in the position where it came down to a call.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
Just speaking as a long time high school coach there are always things you can blame on the ref after each game. Was that a bad job by the refs in Memphis? I think so, and the OP obviously does but none of that matters now. Had we played to our full potential in each game the refs would not have been an issue. We always tell our high school kids when we go on the road if you leave it in the hands of the refs they will 17 us. Play to your potential and the refs will not matter. Just my opinion.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
When a thread starts with 'Folks...' I know itll be quite the hot take. You are still infuriated over something that happened 2 months ago?

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
MSU’s defense stopped Ark on that last drive. Game over. The defense did enough to win. Period. Except the officials screwed up. Any other narrative is wrong.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I'm not going that far either although.....

Folks, we've had two wins TAKEN from us by the officials. I'm not one to usually get hung up on officiating, but I cant get over it. I'm infuriated. Just think about our season in we didn't get jobbed? 8-2 ranked in the Top 10. Makes me sick to my stomach.

There were two very bad calls that made a difference in the game but I think you also have to factor in glaring mistakes and unforced errors that allowed the game to get to the point where a bad call had such an impact.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I agree with your comments here but must correct you on the Memphis game call. There is no think so about that being a bad job. It was absolutely, 100% a bad job and the SEC office verified in writing that it was.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
There were two very bad calls that made a difference in the game but I think you also have to factor in glaring mistakes and unforced errors that allowed the game to get to the point where a bad call had such an impact.

^^^THIS^^^ As Heydad said on the show the other day, two things can be true at once.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
This is how I came to terms with the losses. After all, as State fans we're used to bad calls in almost every game. We saw a lot in the Auburn game but we were able to overcome them. Ultimately, you have to move on to the next play just as Leach preaches to the team. No sense reliving something you can't change. We are 6-4 and the only way to overcome those two losses is to win the next 2 games.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'll give you Memphis, even though we never should have been in that position to let it get that close to matter. But you are really stretching it on Arkansas. We had plenty of opportunities to win, and if the defense hadn't allowed a non-passing offense to march right down the field in a minute and a half, it's a win.

Just get over it and chalk it up to being a young team. We spotted LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and La Tech double digit leads. Should have never happened with any of them. We had the resiliency to come back in 2 of them. The only reason we didn't fall behind NC State was because of Tulu.

The bigger question is do we build off this momentum and finish the season strong, or do we go out with a whimper.

I think you have it backwards. We did just enough to beat Arkansas and had won barring a fumble in the victory formation, and the refs made a bad call to give them another chance. Certainly had our chance anyway, and there are always bad calls throughout a game that impact it, so it's not particularly egregious. It's just frustrating as hell for a bad call on what should be the last substantive play of the game flip the result.

The Memphis call was much more egregious, but it didn't determine the outcome. The fact that we only lost by two suggests we would have won if they hadn't been gifted a touchdown, but it's no sure thing like the Arkansas game, where you can absolutley point to one bad call that if they get it right, we win with 99.9%+ certainty.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
If you're going to say we should be 8-2 or 9-1, you kinda have to acknowledge the flip side of that and recognize that we could be 4-6 if not for the two largest comebacks in school history. The 7-8 win range feels right for this team. Inconsistent to the point that it cost us some games we should have won, but have also shown flashes of being really good.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
if you leave it in the hands of the refs they will 17 us.

That's solid advice for any team in any sport.

Further, every player of the team MUST be ready to play at the highest level on the very first play of the game and maintain it through the last play of the game.

Every player in the game ALWAYS plays at 100% effort. If you are too tired to give 100% effort, then get out of the game and let another player who's 100% ready to go play your spot.

Finally, play SMART. ALWAYS use your brain whenever you're in the game or on the sideline. Know your role and how it fits into the overall scheme of our plans. Then, do your job to the best of your ability.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nobody ever wants to play the "what if" game the other way. The fact is, we're right about where we deserve to be, as most teams usually are.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

GTFO
We played like trash for at least a large portion of those games. Show up and play and the refs can't hurt you.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Johnson is 100% correct. Before the **** calls we had a 70% win probability against Arkansas and 83% loss probability against Memphis. If the defensive holding call isn't made on the failed 4th down conversion, we win 100%. If the punt is called down at the 6 in the Memphis game, the win probability still favors Memphis 80% or so.
View attachment 22967
View attachment 22968

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You hot-takers need to temper your enthusiasm for 2022. Most of you were wanting Leach gone a few weeks ago, now you're proclaiming how great we will be next year, without a second of independent thought. Will we be better? We should, but here are reasons for concern:

- Will Arnett be here? What other assistant coaches do we lose? It's always a big concern;
- Charles Cross is gone early?
- Martin Emerson may be gone early;
- We lose 2 other starting OL who are out of eligibility (Sharp is the big concern);
- What seniors with eligibility actually come back (some may, and some probably are sick of college/football);

The good news:

- We don't have THAT many seniors, with or without eligiblity;
- Jordan Davis will be back;
- Core of the team is juniors (2020 class);

The offensive line is a real concern. Dolla Bill HAS to step up. Grant Jackson will start somewhere but I'm definitely concerned about LT. Need those JUCOs to do something.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
MSU’s defense stopped Ark on that last drive. Game over. The defense did enough to win. Period. Except the officials screwed up. Any other narrative is wrong.

The Memphis game also had the penalty invented on review when we recovered the onside kick that could've helped us win the game. I will agree that the Memphis game was completely skewed by the officials. In the Arkansas game it was one play. Yes we could have won the game if they had not called the flop a hold but we had several opportunities to stop them before we got to that spot. We also had a missed field goal that MSU teams before this year's team never could have ever have gotten us in that position. So I'm less likely to blame the Arkansas loss on the officials for one play even though it's really hard to swallow yeah… Really hard.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I agree with your comments here but must correct you on the Memphis game call. There is no think so about that being a bad job. It was absolutely, 100% a bad job and the SEC office verified in writing that it was.

Agreed, but its just a weird one to get worked up over. According to the SEC office, and I agree, the ball was never downed on that punt. The mistake was the referee inadvertently signaling the play dead when it was not dead. So we are crying that the ref did not enforce his own error.

Imagine you were a Memphis fan, and you have a TD taken away because a ref blew an inadvertent whistle. And it was an SEC ref.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Per your logic, refs have then never taken a game from anyone ever even with bogus calls at key times in the game that give the other team points or takes them away from you. Reason being, WELL if that team that got the game stolen had been more dominant through the entirety of the game then those bogus calls would not have mattered. News flash, MSU will never be enough better than a host of other SEC teams where bad calls will have no impact on the outcome of the game. Bama might be in that position (though they almost never get a bad call from SEC refs) but not us.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
THIS. I admit having a hard time with the Arkansas game. We won that game with a 4th down stop. The impact of that outcome could be huge.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We'd be pissed. But it would have been the right call. When a referee signals the play dead, players stop play. You can't just decide after the fact that you're going to let the play stand when only 1 player hadn't quit when the play was signaled dead.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
That defensive holding call could literally cost us a Sugar Bowl birth if we win out and Bama beats Georgia in the SEC title game. If we beat Arkansas, we are probably sitting about 12-13 in the CFP poll and a win over OM would probably slide us into the top 10 and make us the highest ranked SEC team other than UGA or Bama. As of now, our ceiling is probably about 15-18.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Agreed, but its just a weird one to get worked up over. According to the SEC office, and I agree, the ball was never downed on that punt. The mistake was the referee inadvertently signaling the play dead when it was not dead. So we are crying that the ref did not enforce his own error.

Imagine you were a Memphis fan, and you have a TD taken away because a ref blew an inadvertent whistle. And it was an SEC ref.

A player on the punt team stopped the ball and the ref blew the play dead. It's a play that would be called dead somewhere in the upper 90's% of the time. Even if you make the argument that just "downing" the ball is not possessing it and technically shouldn't be blown dead, it's not exactly egregious to play the play the way it is normally played.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Next season we need to beat the 17 outta Memphis. Run the score up as much as possible.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Refs make bad calls. It’s a part of the game. Just like players miss assignments and coaches making boba head calls. Got to do enough to overcome those variable bad parts to win. We didn’t either game. We had chances to win both and we didn’t. Memphis shouldn’t have been in the game. We dug a hole in the Arkansas game. We need to learn to play four quarters and not get in a hole every game.

I’ve never liked blaming refs it makes you look like a sore loser. Auburn fans have been doing that too this week even though that play didn’t overall have an affect on the outcome of the game. Unless the call is on a scoring play it’s hard to say it does. Because even if they blow that call we still could have stopped them again and we didn’t.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
A player on the punt team stopped the ball and the ref blew the play dead. It's a play that would be called dead somewhere in the upper 90's% of the time. Even if you make the argument that just "downing" the ball is not possessing it and technically shouldn't be blown dead, it's not exactly egregious to play the play the way it is normally played.

The ball never stopped. The broadcast had a good view of Emerson's failure to down the ball. The ball was rolling, Emerson touched it, and the ball continued rolling. At the very least, I think you need to stop the motion of the ball to down it.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
We'd be pissed. But it would have been the right call. When a referee signals the play dead, players stop play. You can't just decide after the fact that you're going to let the play stand when only 1 player hadn't quit when the play was signaled dead.

I agree it would have been the right call, but I disagree that any players stopped due to the refs actions. None of our players were facing him. He never got his hands over his head (higher than his head, but not over his head), and I'm still not sure if he blew his whistle, but I doubt he did.

The play should have been stopped,, but I have a hard time getting worked up about about failing to benefit from a ref's mistake. Emerson should have just downed the ball properly.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Doesn't matter if they actually stopped or not (they did). When the play is signaled dead, it's 17ing dead. Completely agree that Emerson should have downed the ball properly, and add that we still should have won by 2 touchdowns anyway.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You hot-takers need to temper your enthusiasm for 2022. Most of you were wanting Leach gone a few weeks ago, now you're proclaiming how great we will be next year, without a second of independent thought. Will we be better? We should, but here are reasons for concern:

- Will Arnett be here? What other assistant coaches do we lose? It's always a big concern;
- Charles Cross is gone early?
- Martin Emerson may be gone early;
- We lose 2 other starting OL who are out of eligibility (Sharp is the big concern);
- What seniors with eligibility actually come back (some may, and some probably are sick of college/football);

The good news:

- We don't have THAT many seniors, with or without eligiblity;
- Jordan Davis will be back;
- Core of the team is juniors (2020 class);

The offensive line is a real concern. Dolla Bill HAS to step up. Grant Jackson will start somewhere but I'm definitely concerned about LT. Need those JUCOs to do something.

This was the subject of a recent Rant thread

29 of Mississippi State’s 37 touchdowns scored by Freshies or Sophomores

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-fo...ns-scored-by-freshies-or-sophomores/99604752/

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login