20 years ago today, "The Dock" on The Rez closed its doors, commonly known as "The Day The Music Died". Link below

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
James McNeil was the bouncer. Good guy and body builder. I wonder what he is doing now.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
I’ve still got two table tops from The Dock. I lost the bottoms years ago, and the tops are still in my thoughts of refinishing with MSU memorabilia under the plexiglass-glass, but nothing done yet. lol

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Skiing on the rez all day. Pulling the boat up during the day when it wasn’t packed. Grabbing some food and beer and listening to some random guy play his guitar and sing.

I swear to god some of the happiest days of my life involved the dock. Of course I had no idea at the time and just assumed life would always be like that.

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
Enjoyed the Halloween costume contests, got 2nd or 3rd for my Edward Scissorhands one year (lots of Dockburger vouchers). Scored 1st with this one year. That head is fiberglass, still fresh at the time…

Attachments

• IMG_6563.jpeg
    IMG_6563.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Unforntantlymy most prevalent memory was Barry Goff beating to death Uggie. When Barry was convicted, I was listening to Z106, the DJ simply announced the news by saying "let justice reign."

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
I remember drinking Dockrockers when i was 15 and couldn't wait to legally order one. Damn what a good time

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So let's go a little deeper with this. Seems to me, the Rez was the place to be in the 90s. We can bltch about Jackson all we want, but there's no reason why the Rez couldn't be a really cool place. I still want to know what happened here.

The kill the Dock for this Harbor Walk thing that never happens. The whole place seems to have gotten stuck in the 90s (but that's kinda Rankin County for you). All those restaurants on the Madison side certainly have not been cleaned since then (Shucker's, all of them, I swear it stays 1994 in there).

Rapids on the Reservoir is long gone. Only thing they have out there now is Shltty Shaggy's.

All the parks are overrun with thuggery on the weekends. Nobody cleans them or looks after them it appears. It's just become an overall crappy area, and now everybody just takes their boats up river.

What am I missing here? Why can't the Rez at least be a shining spot in an otherwise drab Jackson Metro? I know it's river water, but who cares. Should still have some cool developments along it.

Only thing that is halfway nice in the Natchez Trace on the west side and that's because they have federal money, and they don't maintain that like they should. And then the Ridgeland Trails.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
IIRC, it changed names often. At one time I think it was called, "On the Rocks."
when i first started going it was On the Rocks, followed by Millennium , followed by Marina Cantina. there was at least one more that i can not remember the name to. and yes, barry goff is exactly where he deserves to be and still has hell to look forward to

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
I was only 19 when the Dock closed, but remember hearing stories from my brother and his friends. In hindsight I wish I would have gotten a fake ID and a dock experience before it closed.

Jackson needs a spiritual successor to that place...an it place everyone wants to go hang out day or night.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
So let's go a little deeper with this. Seems to me, the Rez was the place to be in the 90s. We can bltch about Jackson all we want, but there's no reason why the Rez couldn't be a really cool place. I still want to know what happened here.

The kill the Dock for this Harbor Walk thing that never happens. The whole place seems to have gotten stuck in the 90s (but that's kinda Rankin County for you). All those restaurants on the Madison side certainly have not been cleaned since then (Shucker's, all of them, I swear it stays 1994 in there).

Rapids on the Reservoir is long gone. Only thing they have out there now is Shltty Shaggy's.

All the parks are overrun with thuggery on the weekends. Nobody cleans them or looks after them it appears. It's just become an overall crappy area, and now everybody just takes their boats up river.

What am I missing here? Why can't the Rez at least be a shining spot in an otherwise drab Jackson Metro? I know it's river water, but who cares. Should still have some cool developments along it.

Only thing that is halfway nice in the Natchez Trace on the west side and that's because they have federal money, and they don't maintain that like they should. And then the Ridgeland Trails.
Nightlife in the Jackson area died in the 2010s. With the exception of Shuckers on the Rez, there are no late night places left where people feel safe going. It's not just Jackson though, nightclubs and honky tonks have shuttered all over the place in the last 10-20 years. I think dating apps have played a big part in it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login