2008 MSU baseball team worst ever in school history???

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
we are freaking terrible.......i cant ever remember a state team being this bad.......most years, its we cannot pitch, but hit, then others its we can hit but not pitch.....this year it has all come together.....we cant pitch or hit.....KKKKKKKKKKksssssss are killing us...

WTF?

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
we are freaking terrible.......i cant ever remember a state team being this bad.......most years, its we cannot pitch, but hit, then others its we can hit but not pitch.....this year it has all come together.....we cant pitch or hit.....KKKKKKKKKKksssssss are killing us...

WTF?

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
We will have to wait and see, although I will say that this team is making a really good case and will have a chance. I really think that IF they are going to turn it around they need to go no less than 4-1 this week against South Alabama and Georgia.

thedog

Mar 3, 2008
sixpackmafia said:

WTF?

Then you are not old enuff to recall the Bragan years.</p>

Feb 23, 2008
I've seen in my lifetime. Thing is, I know we've had injuries and some newcomers playing for the first time but we've had these things before and still were competitive. We're not even competitive for the most part. That's concerning itself but it's the way we're losing. How the hell do you ground into 33 double plays already this year? We've only turned 12, by the way. We suck in all facets. You almost have to try to hit into 33 double plays. What to blame for it? Well, as it's been documented so many many times. Polk must retire, it's as simple as that. A complete overhaul is needed, no matter who likes it or not. Our recruiting is terrible. I don't follow baseball recruiting all that well but we rarely finish in the top 25 in recruiting here lately. With our resources, fan base, facilities, etc, there's no excuse for us not being in the top 15 in recruiting year in and year out. I don't feel sheepish saying that either. There are dozens of coaches out there that would love to have our product to sell to kids but can't. Like I said, a complete overhaul is the only answer to what's taking place right now. Mabe Polk will 1 day realize this and step aside. He'll either take Raffo along with him or it will be pointless though.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
The worst thing that could happen is if we sneak into the SEC tournament, win the thing, then become the #3 seed out in Corvallis or Austin. That'll be just enough for the Polk sheep to bleat that he needs to stay, but not enough to see any real progress.

Paper Dog

Feb 20, 2008
However, the last two baseball recruiting classes have been rated 14th and 13th by national recruiting sites - so that does place them inside the Top 15

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I agree, with South Panola dog. It's not like we're coming up on the short end of 1 run games, we're getting our asses handed to us. We hit pretty well agianst non-conference competition, but there is no way that we can outslug an SEC team. We don't run because we choose not to for the most part. Our defense is not noticably bad, but it's not all that great either. As has been documented ad nauseum is the lack of pitching. We have Jesse Carver as our Fri. night starter. That's all you need to know.

The worst thing is that this situation with Polk is absolutely hopeless. There is no end in sight. I want to believe that there's something that can be done, and I sometimes post things that are irrational to just make me feel better, but there's that voice in my head that says "there's nothing that can be done." My worst fear has been realized- our baseball team has become like Ole Miss football. We have a great atmosphere and some tradition, but right now it's all in the past and the present is a facade.

I want to take this time to thank LT for killing MSU baseball as I know it. That's truly something remarkable, because I didn't think it was possible. He managed to do it, and in the process he has managed to ruin the man who's name is on the stadium. The only thing left is the LFL, and he tried to destroy that, but I guess considering what he has already done that's too much to ask one man to do. It did take him about seven years to do it, so it was no small task.

I really hope I don't see LT at SBW because I'm afraid I will lose my temper and knock his *** out of his cheap *** loafers. It's almost worth trying just to see if his facial expression will actually change with blunt trauma. My money says it doesn't change, though. Fortunately he won't know who I am because I'm just an average fan.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Paper Dog said:
However, the last two baseball recruiting classes have been rated 14th and 13th by national recruiting sites - so that does place them inside the Top 15

</p>even more inexcusable.

bizZaX

Mar 22, 2008
its like its the worst scenario all comes together, and it happens to be the year right after we make it to the college world series.

ole miss drunk

May 1, 2006
Is it worse to just really suck or underachieve terribly and fall far short of expectations? Its probably safe to say that right now you guys aren't that great, but nobody really expected a ton out of MSU with the heart of last year's team leaving. However, I don't think anyone expected this. With OM everyone expected the moon but are swimming in a giant pool of mediocrity. So which is worse?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
scratch your head even more?

Don't worry, next year's incoming class should not sniff the top 30.

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
Cant remember who said it, but that post sticks out in my head more than any other Ive ever read on this board....

D

clandbulldog

Mar 23, 2008
They alway's sweep us over there! Every other year. Oh , well, Florida seems much improved after " McMahonball " ! 2 out of 3 in Oxford isn't bad over that Bianco juggernault !

WillemWallace

Feb 20, 2008
sixpackmafia said:
most years, its we cannot pitch, but hit, then others its we can hit but not pitch.....this year it has all come together.....

</p>Isn't that phrase saying the exact same thing?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Mutt the Hoople said:
The worst thing that could happen is if we sneak into the SEC tournament, win the thing, then become the #3 seed out in Corvallis or Austin. That'll be just enough for the Polk sheep to bleat that he needs to stay, but not enough to see any real progress.

This team won't even be discussed when the selection committee meets.</p>

rebel law

Jun 4, 2007
Mama might be calling but Daddy has to open to the door by convincing Polk to resign first. I think every MSU fan understands that you can't fire a legend.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
it will take some creativity, but we are the kings of making it look like people resigned on their own.

I actually admire the fact that Ole Miss will fire people for sucking. Kudos to ya'll.

We try to run our AD like a damn YMCA league.

rjsiwelhj

Feb 29, 2008
with on printed on the back. A benefit of having a friend that owns a screen printing business.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
that MSU baseball begins and ends with Ron Polk? Nevermind what Paul Gregory, RP Patty, and Dudy Noble were able to do at MSU.

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
rjsiwelhj said:
with on printed on the back. A benefit of having a friend that owns a screen printing business.

</p>I would like to see it.....I have a friend who owns a screen printing business in brandon, i bet he could make me one up....i would like to see yours first....

D

shubutadawg

Mar 24, 2008
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">This is my first post, so I apologize for the length, but I've held off as long as I could...
</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">In the 27 years I have been following MSU baseball, spending Lord know how much money traveling to watch the Diamond Dogs play, I can never remember a sojourn more disappointing that my trip to the University of North Florida.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
Little did I know it was a precursor of what we could come to expect.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
The original question was "worst ever in school history." I can't speak to school history, but I can speak for the last three decades, and yes, unfortunately this is the worst team during that time frame.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
The sad thing is there seems to be some talented players on the team. I refuse to accept the we're young excuse. Every team in the SEC has young players. And quite honestly, anybody that follows college baseball knows if you have senior-laden team you have an experienced team with average players at best. Easely and Moreland are perfect examples of great players that never see a senior season.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
The other problem I have is our coach's inability to realize the dynamics of the game has changed - especially the emotional part of the game. When Polk first came to MSU there were only three or four other schools in the SEC that cared about baseball and you could manage a game differently. A former player, that went on to coach high school baseball once told me that a scout in the late 1970s told him that he'd sign him to a minor league contract, but that he'd been playing Double A ball for the last three years at MSU.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
Today, every team has the talent to win, and as a result, emotion plays a big part of it and we have a coach that never shows any emotion. After Ole Miss lost to us last Sunday, MIke Bianco apologized on his post game show, saying that when you have a chance to sweep, you have to take advantage of it, adding that you can't feel good about a series win when you had a chance for a series sweep.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
Two years ago, John Cohen circled his Kentucky team up in the outfield and chewed them out for more than 10 minutes after they lost a first round game to a much lower seed.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
That is the kind of emotion that is missing with our team. When MSU was superior to the vast majority of the teams in the league and in the nation for that matter, the "that's baseball" was something that could be used to laugh off the occasional loss to a much lesser team... That's not the same "baseball" that is played today by the 12 teams in the SEC and many others around the country.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">
In my opinion, yes this is the worst MSU team in the modern era of college baseball, and as much as I respect Coach Polk for what he has meant for college baseball in general and MSU in particular, I don't see us getting back to same level we once enjoyed without some drastic changes.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0pt"></p>

<span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </span></p>

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
A polk-lifelong MSU baseball fanatic AND a person with some sort of affiliation with Shubuta. You, sir, will not have to stand in line when you reach the Pearly Gate. You shall be ushered in immediately and given a reward.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login