2021 Omaha 8….

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Well with tickets to Omaha being punched this weekend let’s look back at the 8 teams that went to the CWS in 2021 when we won it all and see how those teams have fared the last two seasons.

NC State. 2022 ACC tourney runner up did not make NCAAT. 2023 Regional
Stanford. 2022 CWS, 2023 supers still playing
Arizona. 2022. Regional. 2023. Regional
Vandy. 2022 Regional. 2023 SECT champs. Regional
Tenn. 2022 SEC, SECT champ, supers. 2023 Supers still playing
Virginia. 2022 Regional. 2023. CWS
Texas. 2022 CWS. 2023 Supers still,playing
MSU. 2022 no post season 2023 no post season

Summary: Every team played post Season baseball both years except us. Only one team failed to make a regional in a season and that was NC state in 2022. We should be looking for a HC right now.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Well with tickets to Omaha being punched this weekend let’s look back at the 8 teams that went to the CWS in 2021 when we won it all and see how those teams have fared the last two seasons.

Summary: Every team played post Season baseball both years except us. Only one team failed to make a regional in a season and that was NC state in 2022. We should be looking for a HC right now.
You Get Me Yes GIF by Tristen J. Winger

Pop Tv Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I was looking at a piece of memorabilia and forgot half those teams were in the 2021 cws.

I wished the cws format was a true double elimination tournament. So maybe you had opportunities to play the entire field.

however, Tv once again....

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It’s a 4 team tournament for a team until the Finals.
To be honest I can’t remember how the old format played out but maybe teams were re-seeded in Omaha and played more of a round robin format back then ??
I do know that Stanford and Virginia have been excellent programs once tournament time starts and have for a while now. Stanford probably makes 3 CWS in a row after tonight.
Yes we’ve done that recently as well but damn it seems like forever ago.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

One thing those teams don't have, is a national championship.

Facts and all.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
One thing those teams don't have, is a national championship.

Facts and all.
None of them have stayed home embarrassed the last 2 post seasons hiding in their dog house licking their last place wounds, counting how many times they got run ruled, hoping half or more of their team would hit the transfer portal and that their AD's had the cojones to run rule the head coach. I bet most if not all those teams are looking forward to next season too. Also facts.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
None of them have stayed home embarrassed the last 2 post seasons hiding in their dog house licking their last place wounds, counting how many times they got run ruled, hoping half or more of their team would hit the transfer portal and that their AD's had the cojones to run rule the head coach. I bet most if not all are looking forward to next season too. Also facts.
In one sense, that national championship was the worst thing that could have happened to Mississippi State baseball. It seems that none of our coaches, administration, and few of our fans give a sh** about baseball anymore. We almost couldn't be this bad if we were trying to be this bad.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

It's hard to do what we've done, and almost a statistical impossibility that two teams from the same state could follow nearly the same trajectory from CWS champs to whatever it is that MSU and UM fielded this year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In one sense, that national championship was the worst thing that could have happened to Mississippi State baseball. It seems that none of our coaches, administration, and few of our fans give a sh** about baseball anymore. We almost couldn't be this bad if we were trying to be this bad.
You've done bumped yo head.

Did we get fat and happy? Yes. We also HAD to get a national title, some way, somehow. And we did - even if was at a high price. And this isn't an Ed Orgeron situation, as LSU football had won a previous natty. It's not even a Chizik, as even they had won one before, and theoretically had a few more (1983, 1993, 2004). This was our first and only one, it had to get done.

No way I trade it, and if you would, you're an idiot.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The way we are trending I would say ole miss gets it turned around sooner than we do and it pains me tremendously to even think that much less actually say it.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
So it’s ok to suck after winning a nc ?
I’ll be honest - if you told me we had to finish last in the SEC for 3 years straight to guarantee a NC, I absolutely would have signed up for that. These two years have sucked and 2024 may be just as bad, but this won’t last forever. Our program has too much support and love for baseball to stay in the shittter.

I’d take a few bad seasons + a NC any day over than what most other SEC teams have done the last 3 years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The way we are trending I would say ole miss gets it turned around sooner than we do and it pains me tremendously to even think that much less actually say it.
I think Mississippi is in at least as bad shape as we are, if not worse. They lose just about everyone from this year's team and will be starting from scratch next year. It's going to be hard for them not to finish last again next year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’ll be honest - if you told me we had to finish last in the SEC for 3 years straight to guarantee a NC, I absolutely would have signed up for that. These two years have sucked and 2024 may be just as bad, but this won’t last forever. Our program has too much support and love for baseball to stay in the shittter.

I’d take a few bad seasons + a NC any day over than what most other SEC teams have done the last 3 years.
Where does this idea of "sucking for 2 years to win a national championship" even come from? It's stupid. Y'all do realize that it's not a requirement to suck after winning a national championship, don't you? It's not like we made some deal with God (or Satan) and now we're paying the price we agreed on. The last 2 seasons are freaking inexcusable. No matter what happened in 2021.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Where does this idea of "sucking for 2 years to win a national championship" even come from? It's stupid. Y'all do realize that it's not a requirement to suck after winning a national championship, don't you? It's not like we made some deal with God (or Satan) and now we're paying the price we agreed on. The last 2 seasons are freaking inexcusable. No matter what happened in 2021.
Amen
Say that louder for those sitting in back

it’s 17ing inexcusable what’s happened 2 years in a row

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sh*t happens.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So you like to waller in sh:t?
To answer your original question that I overlooked, yes, it's ok to TEMPORARILY suck after winning a national championship at Mississippi State.

If we are solidly back in the postseason next year, nobody will remember the last 2 years. Except @patdog.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
There are only two possible reasons for keeping Lemonis for another year.

1) $$$ - we’re not prepared to deal with the buyout
2) Selmon isn’t comfortable with making a change yet

I don’t like either option, but there isn’t a level headed person within this fanbase or residing elsewhere on the planet that thinks Lemonis can turn this thing around next year, and if that’s the case, I just don’t understand what we’re doing. Lemonis took a gamble last year by keeping Foxhall around, and we see where that got him. Now, Selmon is the one taking the gamble

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are only two possible reasons for keeping Lemonis for another year.

1) $$$ - we’re not prepared to deal with the buyout
2) Selmon isn’t comfortable with making a change yet

I don’t like either option, but there isn’t a level headed person within this fanbase or residing elsewhere on the planet that thinks Lemonis can turn this thing around next year, and if that’s the case, I just don’t understand what we’re doing. Lemonis took a gamble last year by keeping Foxhall around, and we see where that got him. Now, Selmon is the one taking the gamble
Of course he can turn it around. Will he? Well, that's always a risk, the other teams will have something to say about that. But the core returning will win some games, plus we have the guys returning from injury (Simmons, Auger).

Firing Foxhall was never an option last year.

Some of you have gone crazy.

Reactions: stateu1

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Sure you would but actually doing so is virtually impossible so throwing this notion out there as some kind of justification is ridiculous.

We won the NC and should have built on that to become even stronger and FAILED MISERABLY to do so. That is why the HC responsible should be looking for another job despite the NC. Sure we can get it back together but we shouldn't be waiting another year to get started.

Reactions: patdog

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
To answer your original question that I overlooked, yes, it's ok to TEMPORARILY suck after winning a national championship at Mississippi State.

If we are solidly back in the postseason next year, nobody will remember the last 2 years. Except @patdog.
Why is it OK? It is never OK to suck. As far as being solidly back in the post season next year I will believe it when I see it.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Why is it OK? It is never OK to suck. As far as being solidly back in the post season next year I will believe it when I see it.
Because a NC was won silly

it’s ok to get fan dumb and happy and become a fat lazy slob

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Because a NC was won silly

it’s ok to get fan dumb and happy and become a fat lazy slob
Actually no it isn't. It is never OK. As far as getting fat, dumb, and happy the only people that matter in that regard are the coaching staff and players and its up to the coaching staff to make sure it doesn't happen to either and allowing it to happen after an NC makes it even more egregious.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Actually no it isn't. It is never OK. As far as getting fat, dumb, and happy the only people that matter in that regard are the coaching staff and players and its up to the coaching staff to make sure it doesn't happen to either and allowing it to happen after an NC makes it even more egregious.
I know it’s not ok

thought the TIC was obvious

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I think Mississippi is in at least as bad shape as we are, if not worse. They lose just about everyone from this year's team and will be starting from scratch next year. It's going to be hard for them not to finish last again next year.Si

Sitting my Lemonis-like fat azz on the beach in OBA today, I spied an Ole Miss cap wearer walking along the surf. He caught sight of my Miss State cap and we shared a brief second of mutual understanding that only tortured souls understand. I still hate those 17ers though.

• Haha
Reactions: GomJabbar

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"yes, it's ok to TEMPORARILY suck after winning a national championship at Mississippi State."
Why is it OK, why is it ever OK to suck in baseball at MSU? There have been and will be down seasons but to "suck" and lay in last place, nope shouldn't happen, ever.....

Why is it even more ok to suck in last place after winning a National Champ? Instead of being out banging on doors while the iron was hot and the news was fresh looking for the next Bednar, Tanner Allen, Rowdy, Logan Tanner, Landon Sims, etc. Lemonis was out riding around on a firetruck hearing how good they were. That staff was instead busy patting themselves and each other on the back and taking congrats from everybody that would interview them and totally lost sight of the future while basking in the past. Meanwhile the remainder of the team was seeing and feeling the same thing and we've had 2 years of veterans Hancock, Forsythe and Clark getting little if any better while contentedly wallowing in .225-.280 territory and giving out errors like autographs.

Your optimism far exceeds mine about next year. So far you are counting on a transfer from a D2 college in Georgia (Young Harris College w/ 1,200 students that plays a schedule that includes Mars Hill, Lincoln Memorial, Lander, Lee, Claflin, Columbus St, Lane, Flagler etc, etc.) and on our own 2 guys coming back from TJ surgery to lead us to Hoover and beyond? And as of today we are hearing that its probably a new pitching coach from Nichols St to head that up that resurgance?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
nothing I like seeing more walking into the Dude more than that SEC and SECT champ banners, YUGE.

well, maybe walking into Alex Box and seeing that mighty #1 LSU's last championship was 14 years ago and counting

or maybe seeing Vitello going 0-2 in Omaha and maybe losing tonight with a $6M roster

that being said it would be nice to be in the post season but we have to decide to get some arms from the portal

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login