2024-2025 MBB

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
So we’ve got Hubbard, Matthews, and the PG transfer. Who else are we expecting as core contributors next year?

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Shawn Jones should be ready to give good minutes in a reserve role.

Obviously need a portal big in the worst way, and we really need two. We're in trouble if Chol ever has to be a meaningful contributor.

I'm fine with Murphy getting increased minutes only under the terms that he never shoots.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016

Obviously need a portal big in the worst way, and we really need two. We're in trouble if Chol ever has to be a meaningful contributor.

I'm fine with Murphy getting increased minutes only under the terms that he never shoots.
I think you are under-estimating Murphy's contribution potential for next year. Should he be playing around the perimeter? NO. Will he likely shoot a wide open 3? I suspect so. The bad with the good.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
here’s hoping bama doesn’t poach murphy. he fits their mold perfectly

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012

I think we're gonna be pleasantly surprised by him next year if he adds a little muscle. I thought we also had a commit from Chol Machot, another 7 footer. Is that not the case any more?

Reactions: BirdPuppy

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
I think we're gonna be pleasantly surprised by him next year if he adds a little muscle. I thought we also had a commit from Chol Machot, another 7 footer. Is that not the case any more?
He reclassed to 2025. Not sure of the particulars.

Chol will be fine, but he needs another year as a backup. We will be pulling a 5 from the portal to start.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
So basically, we need 8 solid contributors to magically fall out of the portal into our lap. Good plan.

You’re not good at math. Probably need 4 more portal guys. My guess is the 13th spot will either be Shak returning or we put Jones on scholarship.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
You’re not good at math. Probably need 4 more portal guys. My guess is the 13th spot will either be Shak returning or we put Jones on scholarship.
Your assuming all those are solid contributions. To this point, very limited time with good data.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
1 needs to be a portal splash. A big fish.

Clary seems like a good get, hopefully he works out. But pairing a 5-11 guard with a 5-10 guard will likely lead to some issues. We need more.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Your assuming all those are solid contributions. To this point, very limited time with good data.
Hubbard is solid to say the least.
Cam is solid.
Keshawn Murphy is solid if we can keep him.
Kanye Clary is solid although obviously there are potential chemistry/attitude issues to worry about.

So we need 4 more solid to good players to get to 8, which gives us room to have an injury and keep a 7 man rotation. Certainly it'd be great to already have a starting 5 and two subs returning and just be looking to upgrade or provide additional insurance through the portal, but I'm not sure many teams are ever going to have that in a particular year in the portal era.

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I think you are under-estimating Murphy's contribution potential for next year. Should he be playing around the perimeter? NO. Will he likely shoot a wide open 3? I suspect so. The bad with the good.

I don't think I'm underestimating his ability to score from anywhere on the floor in any way. Teams are inviting him to shoot, and not just from the perimeter. There is a reason why.

His mechanics are as bad as you will see at this level. If he can dedicate himself to defense and rebounding, and not take the shots that other teams are begging him to shoot, sure, he can be a solid contributor.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Jones is still not on scholarship? I did not know that. Neither do I understand it - I like that dude's attitude.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think you're forgetting that our offense tried to play through the post. We will probably have a different game this year. I know Hubbard was huge in the past setup but we won't be trying to get the majority of points from Tolu Smith. We will have to see what happens next year. We have a lot of uncertainty about where the points will come from.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

Well that's dumb. Murphy has a pretty good shot from 15 feet in. We already have Cam who CANT shoot. If you take the ball out of Murphy's hands too, we are right where we left off this season.

We are already going to have little to no production from the 5. You can't afford 2 more black holes on offense. As we have seen this season, Hubbard can be shut down. You can't depend on him to score 25 every damn night.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
1 needs to be a portal splash. A big fish.

Clary seems like a good get, hopefully he works out. But pairing a 5-11 guard with a 5-10 guard will likely lead to some issues. We need more.
We need a 6’4 3 and D guard that can shoot at least 35% from deep to bring in off the bench to play with one or the other as the situation presents itself. Those guys are coveted though, gonna be tough.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We need a starting 5 and a starting 3 out of the portal and then at least one more solid contributor, can be a “best available” perhaps. We’ll see beyond that.

The addition of Clary already tells me our offense will likely look different stylistically next year. I think Hubbard and Clary will be the focal points, Cam as the utility guy again, hopefully a 3 that can play defense and make some perimeter shots, and a 5 who can battle on the boards and defensively give you about 10 to 12 points a game.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We had an in-home this week with Minnesota Forward Joshua Ola Joseph . 6’7” 215 lb who shot 40% from 3

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We need a 6’4 3 and D guard that can shoot at least 35% from deep to bring in off the bench to play with one or the other as the situation presents itself. Those guys are coveted though, gonna be tough.
agree. We have to add length to the backcourt badly. I dont think people realize how big of a liability hubbard was on the defensive end. If you add another short guard who cant defend out there, we best have one heck of a 5 that can block shots.

Got to have a guard/wing that can guard and at least slow down the opposing teams best guard.. and at the same time be servicable on the offensive end.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Well, other than the part where he can’t shoot from outside worth a 17.
I don’t dislike Murphy but for some reason our fans think he is way better than he actually is. I mean he did absolutely nothing after the Ole Miss and LSU games and was really bad in the NCAAT game.

Reactions: Faustdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I don’t dislike Murphy but for some reason our fans think he is way better than he actually is. I mean he did absolutely nothing after the Ole Miss and LSU games and was really bad in the NCAAT game.
agree. Hes not someone people will be flocking to get in the portal. Might could go to a mid major and be a decent pick up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login