2024-25 Sixers Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use this thread to discussion the the preseason, in-season, and postseason of the Philadelphia 76ers.

The NBA is always slow to release schedules, but they finally did so today, so it's time to start the next season thread.

There were a lot of good posts in the 2023-24 Sixers Thread. You can access any of those posts at:

NittanyLager

Nov 5, 2021
So, projected starting 5 is Embiid, George, Maxey, C. Martin, and Oubre?

2nd unit would be Drummond, R. Jackson (or Lowry?), E. Gordon (or McCain?), Covington (or Bona?), and Council? Anyone I forget?

Guess we may only have a 9-man rotation unless I missed someone. Hoping for good health and maybe some surprise contributions from a few on the 2nd unit. Wish they had the money or picks to obtain DeRozan. That could have placed Oubre as 6th man.

Still not sure what I think about not having a real PF on the roster. Also not sure how much uptempo you can play with either Embiid or Drummond on the floor. Maybe if Embiid/Maxey/George play at least 70+ games each, it won't matter. But its the sixers so nothing is guaranteed.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So, projected starting 5 is Embiid, George, Maxey, C. Martin, and Oubre?

2nd unit would be Drummond, R. Jackson (or Lowry?), E. Gordon (or McCain?), Covington (or Bona?), and Council? Anyone I forget?

You didn't list:
- Jeff Downtin (G)
- David Jones (F)
- KJ Martin (F)
- Terquavion Smith (G)
- D.J. Wilson (F)

KJ Martin's contract suggests that he'll see some time.

I've basically avoided thinking of their rotations, as it seemed that they were taking their time to complete their roster. I'm sure that once preseason starts, we'll start to get a better sense of the rotation.

NittanyLager

Nov 5, 2021
You didn't list:
- Jeff Downtin (G)
- David Jones (F)
- KJ Martin (F)
- Terquavion Smith (G)
- D.J. Wilson (F)

KJ Martin's contract suggests that he'll see some time.

I've basically avoided thinking of their rotations, as it seemed that they were taking their time to complete their roster. I'm sure that once preseason starts, we'll start to get a better sense of the rotation.
Fair. KJ Martin and maybe 1 or 2 others from that list make the team and the others may be 2-way contract guys. Either way, none of those names generate much excitement. Maybe there will be some other random signing during preseason.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
what’s the latest scuttlebutt on the chinatown stadium? Walking from 2s apt would be epic. I’d probably see a dozen games a year

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
what’s the latest scuttlebutt on the chinatown stadium? Walking from 2s apt would be epic. I’d probably see a dozen games a year

it really depends on what the mayor elects to do. She took office in January, and her staff is reviewing the Sixers' proposal. If she backs it, it's likely to go through. If not, the chances are pretty slim that it will be built.

The Inquirer's architecture critic is dead set against it. I agree with most of her analysis. While it might be convenient for citizens in and around Center City to walk to games, it would be a PITA for those in the suburbs or those in South Jersey to attend the game, as parking would be a nightmare. (The Sixers seem to think that most of those people will use public transportation, but that's not all that viable for a large number of folks, as trains to the suburbs are pretty infrequent in the late evening. So the parking requirements and the traffic backups are likely to be far bigger/worse than the projections by the Sixers.)

Until the mayor announces her decision, both proponents and opponents are just treading water.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I think its great for about 20% of the season tix holders. A family of 4 from cherry hill is not getting on sketchy public trans with a 10 game plan. I agree with what you’re saying about this and I love your mayor pro tip, greedily hoping gor it to go thru. I’m following this with great interest. Where are you watching eagles-Green Bay? 1 will in town, you gotta be in the city!

fearson05

Oct 19, 2021
I think its great for about 20% of the season tix holders. A family of 4 from cherry hill is not getting on sketchy public trans with a 10 game plan. I agree with what you’re saying about this and I love your mayor pro tip, greedily hoping gor it to go thru. I’m following this with great interest. Where are you watching eagles-Green Bay? 1 will in town, you gotta be in the city!
I agree 100% I grew up in Cherry Hill, and am now living there again, and the beauty of the sports complex in southern philly is the ability to easily get over the bridge, park, and tailgate for any/all home games. A move to Center City, which would basically force the use of Patco through Camden, would definitely turn away a number of people coming from this area. I was fine doing that in my 20's with a group of friends for nights out in Olde City, but would not want to be taking that train home late at night with my wife and 5 year old son.

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Guess I gotta read this

the reports are so-so. They acknowledge problems in certain areas, but offer solutions and/or indicate that it won't be a major problem. Basically, if you're for the arena (Sixers) you have enough to use in the reports to make your case, and if you're against the arena (multiple groups), you have things to use to make your case.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Nice
It also could add $390 million in tax revenue to the city after 30 years of operation.
not nice
The economic analysis was completed by a consultant with a track record of faulty data and false projections in Philadelphia

I’d like to see a study on what Chinatown brings to Philly $ wise. Next time I’m with 2 we’re gonna walk it and report here if it’s worth saving from a layman’s view

Last edited:

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I saw a “landscape bridge” render over 676 that I loved. If they did that it’d dig it. We’d hang there all the time

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Philadelphia's mayor announces her support for the Sixers' proposal.

The headlines to the below tweet are a tad misleading. As part of the support, the mayor's team signed an agreement with the Sixers. However, the proposed arena still has to go through City Council, and assorted review boards. Plus, the residents of Chinatown are not happy about the Mayor's decision, and will likely fight the proposed arena.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I’d like to see a study on what Chinatown brings to Philly $ wise. Next time I’m with 2 we’re gonna walk it and report here if it’s worth saving from a layman’s view

There are a lot of businesses in Chinatown. But more than that, it's one of the last ethnic/national enclaves in the city, and is the home to most Chinese that move to Philadelphia as immigrants, unless they are coming in a very large stash of assets.

Chinatown has been kind of screwed over by previous developments of the Vine Street Expressway, and the Convention Center. While the Sixers are proposing to give a lot of $$ to support Chinatown as part of their agreement with the mayor, I doubt that will cause most of the residents of Chinatown to support the proposed arena.

jmorovich

Oct 28, 2021
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login