2024 Egg Bowl moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving

randystewart

Jan 14, 2009
GREAT NEWS!

Matt Wyatt just tweeted this information!
I've never understood why people want this moved off of Thanksgiving. I have lived outside of MS now for almost 20 years and I can tell you that the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving night is the only reason most people have heard of Mississippi State. It brings us great exposure for a great rivalry. Saturday means people flip past our game as they move to one of the more high profile rivalries

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I've never understood why people want this moved off of Thanksgiving. I have lived outside of MS now for almost 20 years and I can tell you that the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving night is the only reason most people have heard of Mississippi State. It brings us great exposure for a great rivalry. Saturday means people flip past our game as the move to one of the more high profile rivalries
Agree, I'd rather be a little inconvenienced on Thanksgiving, but State have the national exposure and focus. I think some people prefer it to be on Saturday so it's easier for the fans schedule-wise.

I'm not saying that everyone who wants it on Saturday is a selfish prIck. Just some people.** (<---- just a joke, before any of you prIcks take it personally)

Reactions: woozman

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It might be nice for guys who don't go to the game, but it is really a pain in the butt to go up on Thanksgiving. I wish they had moved it this year.

Reactions: eckie1 and tyroid

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Maybe, but it was our largest crowd of the year Thursday. For a 5-6 team expected to get murdered. I thought the crowd was great.
It wasn't the day of the game. It was the game. I have noticed that there are a lot more young kids at the Egg Bowl. Maybe because they are visiting families in Mississippi. It is hard to get up there on Thanksgiving. I get a lot of grief about it. To me it would be easier on Saturday.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've never understood why people want this moved off of Thanksgiving. I have lived outside of MS now for almost 20 years and I can tell you that the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving night is the only reason most people have heard of Mississippi State. It brings us great exposure for a great rivalry. Saturday means people flip past our game as they move to one of the more high profile rivalries
2,000,000 people watch the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving, less than our average for SEC games. 27,000,000 watch the NFL Thanksgiving prime time game. Trust me, that Thanksgiving nighttime slot is a ratings nightmare for us. Nothing like it was in the 1990s when there was no NFL game and it truly was the only game on TV.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
2,000,000 people watch the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving, less than our average for SEC games. 27,000,000 watch the NFL Thanksgiving prime time game. Trust me, that Thanksgiving nighttime slot is a ratings nightmare for us. Nothing like it was in the 1990s when there was no NFL game and it truly was the only game on TV.
What is our avg for SEC games? I honestly have no clue and figured the Egg Bowl number would be on the higher end

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Well this sucks.

Having it on Saturday means there will be years where I have to miss the Iron Bowl, which is all anybody here talks about for a week after the game. It's happened before and it makes me feel like a wierdo.

randystewart

Jan 14, 2009
2,000,000 is double what we will draw in the 11am time slot on rivalry Saturday opposite of Michigan-Ohio State

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Same with regular Thursday night games right? I can't remember the last time I watched a non-egg bowl Thursday night college game.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Spongebob Squarepants Thumbs Down GIF

Paging @Thumbs Down ...

patdog

May 28, 2007
Next year ESPN will be Thankful that aTm and Texas are playing again…

Texas GIF
Actually, that game will be Nov. 30 as well. No idea what they're going to do with the Thanksgiving night time slot. Maybe Missouri-Arkansas? Or maybe just abandon that slot altogether.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What is our avg for SEC games? I honestly have no clue and figured the Egg Bowl number would be on the higher end
Did some quick Googling. Looks like our average viewership for 2022 was 1.1M (appears to include the non-conference games). So 2M is more than usually watch us. But not enough to make any real difference.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Was this our choice or the network. I mean that game last week was pretty shittay .

patdog

May 28, 2007

Ash189

Oct 8, 2014
I'm grateful for the change for the sake of everyone involved in gameday activities. There's a lot of folks who work the games (ticket counters, concessions, team staff, band, cheer, police, etc, not to mention players and coaches) who have to give up their Thanksgivings (at least on Thursday) when the Egg Bowl is on Thanksgiving. If Thursday is the only day your family can get together or get off work, it sucks to miss it. I was one of those people when I was a student, and it sucked. I'd be happy for their sakes if it moved.

Reactions: patdog

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
It might be nice for guys who don't go to the game, but it is really a pain in the butt to go up on Thanksgiving. I wish they had moved it this year.
They only switch it to Saturday when it’s going to be in Oxford or at least it seems to work that way over the last 15 years or so.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Might be a bit premature. I've seen a lot of people saying this, and Matt saying it is certainly more official than the rest. But the ESPN announcement just says

and it's not listed as one of the games with a set date.

Sources - Alabama-Georgia on Sept. 28 highlights 2024 SEC schedule - ESPN
Someone will be wrong. Cross just said on STM that he started getting texts about it being moved and he said he thinks there is a good chance it is still on Thanksgiving based on what he’s hearing.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
THIS. It was great exposure till the NFL started playing games on Thanksgiving night. It probably hurts exposure now.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Actually, that game will be Nov. 30 as well. No idea what they're going to do with the Thanksgiving night time slot. Maybe Missouri-Arkansas? Or maybe just abandon that slot altogether.
My guess is that will be a NFL only slot. It basically is already.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah I have tried to find a press release of the contract but I read there is two years left on the thanksgiving contract.

Contract or not, I was at the game in 2017-2019, 2022 and 2023. I won't do it again. Thanksgiving is for family.

Reactions: patdog and eckie1

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Thatv first ESPN Thursday night game in 92 vs. FLORIDA in JWS seconds year was incredible. We had 40,500 seat Scott Field absolutely rocking. Dr. Jerry Punch on the sideline. It was the only game on anywhere. Felt like we were headed to an SECW title at the time.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
that was so cool back in the day.. if you wanted to watch football, you watched us, and that other team

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I love it on thanksgiving. Lunch with the family and gives me a guilt free reason to be gone by 2:00. Then me and my crew go to the game.

Friday-Sunday free for deer camp.

Thanksgiving Day’er, Loud and proud!!!