2nd Installment of: What We Did Good/What We Gotta Clean Up for LSU

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
1. We look to have found a kicker.
2. Rufus Harvey if he can stay healthy will have a good career under Leach.
3. Dolla Bill still holding his own.
4. Defense really settled down after first possession.
5. Rogers is continuing to grow as a leader.

Bad
1. Have to clean up turnovers.
2. Calvin needs to be on field less. Two games Two big mistakes.
3. We need to find a RT
4. WR’s are getting a lot of separation on our DB’s.
5. Besides Jett Johnson our defense is not good at Tackling

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yep

Bad

Def. concerned about these 2

lanceharbor7

Feb 24, 2008
No offense to Mr. Johnson

But "Jett" is a bit ironic considering.

Bad
3. We need to find a RT

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Did you listen to the AZ coach after the game? He said our defenders stayed between their receivers and the goal and that hurt them. It is much easier for a defensive back to run forward than to back pedal. The last thing you want to do as a DB is watch a WR blow past you.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Good:
1. QB & RBs did their jobs
2. DL put pressure on their QB (even though they were being held) and stopped the run (only 40 yards). Their coach was very annoyed with their running ability after the game.
3. WRs were being mauled most of the game and still caught passes.
4. We beat a P5 team that was sky high going into the game at 10PM at their place with one of the biggest crowd they've had in 4 years. This was a huge mental accomplishment by our team after the first drive.

Bad:
1. WRs need to secure the ball.
2. Extra Point kicks but it was corrected quickly
3. Officiating left a lot to be desired. I noticed in other games that WRs are being mauled without flags. Did they change the rules????

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm going to worry about the defense as soon as we start giving up a lot of points. Really they only gave up the first drive. Lots of pass breakups, interceptions, QB pressure, etc. If they could ever figure out how to actually tackle the QB instead of blowing by him at Mach 2, it would cause me less angst. They are getting there quite a bit.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012

Bad
3. We need to find a RT

RT is the biggest concern to me. Maybe it's time to let Reese get some reps there or move Lewis over there and see what he can do.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Good:

1. Will Rogers is really dang good

2. We are better at WR than we’ve ever been. Our passing game is humming along just fine with Polk gone and Walley doing very little to this point.

3. We have not shied away from running the ball and have done so effectively for the most part. We will always be pass first but it’s nice to know we are finally willing to run the ball if the numbers in the box are favorable, which they often are.

4. Defense played really well after the opening drive, we hold them to 7 points if not for two turnovers by our offense.

Clean Up:

1. I thought de Laura bailed us out some with his decision making. He had open lanes to run and often chose to force a throw instead. That said, maybe that was just part of our game plan and we allowed some running lanes because we knew he wouldn’t take them. All I know is that Jayden Daniels is a more willing runner so we will have to do a good job of keeping contain of him.

2. Stop fumbling the ball, please

3. Our OL was up and down Saturday night, thought they took a step back from Week 1. Obviously need some more consistency against a true SEC DL this weekend.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Good
1. Offense got off to a quick start for 2nd straight week.
2. We found out who our kicker needs to be before playing an opponent where 2 missed PAT would cost us the game.
3. Defense adapted quickly after the opening drive and forced several turnovers on downs

Bad
1. Offense had moments of inconsistency.
2. Turnovers MUST be cleaned up. Both this and 1 above kept UA in the game WAY longer than they should have. This will get us beat in SEC games.
3. Coaching decisions. Leach's decision to go for it on 4th and goal from the 4 up 8 was way too risky and could have turned momentum when a FG probably got the job done.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Good - We won a P5 game on the road by multiple scores and did so without a clean performance.

Bad - Our OL run blocking could be better. When we ran on the goalline, we were a lot larger than them and should have been able to knock them off the ball better. We had some good runs, but there were more than a few where we got stuffed. Also, RT has to get better. Dolla Bill is doing better than I thought he would.

Also, during pre-snap, our DL need to set up on the ball and listen for our LB on what the call is. I hate it when everybody is looking at Arnett on the sideline and the other team is on the ball about to quick snap. Also, if the outside backers are running a called stunt to the inside, for the love of God, DL please don't clog up the middle. I'm not sure if Arnett is calling the stunts or if Jett or Wheat just stunt to the inside on their own and the DL have no idea they are coming. We are a mess when bringing more than 3 on the pass rush. All their QB had to do all night was roll out away from 4 inside rushers and hit his dump off safety valve.

Last edited:

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
I have a question, why are our OLinmen so bad at run blocking? We rarely clean up the first block and get to the second level, and more often than not our RBs are having to make guys miss 2 yards deep and then our OL are just sitting there watching them get blasted.
Get 17n pissed off, and go and hit someone until you pancake them.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Still need to work on getting the ball snapped. Ended the half with 2 straight plays where we barely beat the clock and had 2 ugly plays because it looked rushed. Ended up kicking the FG and carried 3 TO's into halftime.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have a question, why are our OLinmen so bad at run blocking? We rarely clean up the first block and get to the second level, and more often than not our RBs are having to make guys miss 2 yards deep and then our OL are just sitting there watching them get blasted.

I'm guessing it's because they spend most of their time practicing and playing pass blocking, so they struggle both because physically it's not what they drill in with repetition and partly because of the mental shift required from pass to run blocking.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
it has a lot to do with the wide splits. It helps with passing but it puts the O line at a little bit of a disadvantage on running plays.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login