3-9 boys.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Sнit, you might have to convince me that we’re not gonna be EKU and eleven.

Reactions: 17itdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Hopefully we have the type of players and staff that can learn from what went wrong and improve as the season goes on. Perhaps we will have to load the box more on defense and go to a higher percentage of pass plays on offense???? I don’t think we can fix not having the athletes we need immediately so we have to see if we can offset weaknesses with scheme and play calling. This is where we find out if we have a coaching staff that can be flexible and innovative with what we have to work with. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds from here.

Reactions: was21 and GloryDawg

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
My wool was definitely sheared. I was thinking maybe 7 but now I'm more like 4 max. Obviously not dominating the trenches against EKU was a harbinger of things to come. Not sure we will see more than 3 teams that won't be able to run on us at will.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
We’ll beat Toledo. But there’s not one SEC game we’ll be favored in.
Toledo was good last year, and if you look at how MAC teams have played the big boys this year, that will not be an easy game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Toledo was good last year, and if you look at how MAC teams have played the big boys this year, that will not be an easy game.
I think they lost a lot from last year. I know their QB is at Baylor now. If we lose to them, 2-10 is a real possibility.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I think they lost a lot from last year. I know their QB is at Baylor now. If we lose to them, 2-10 is a real possibility.
May have, I don’t know that much about them, I’m not picking them to win but I think it will be fairly close.

ETA Miami Ohio and Toledo are predicted to finish atop the MAC at 8.5 wins. northern Illinois beat notre Dame and Bowling Green lost 34-27 to #8 Penn State. Those two teams are predicted to win 6.5 games. Miami Ohio lost to Northwestern 14-7.
MAC is pretty tough usually.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSUDOG24 and patdog

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Lots of little key indicators here that get overlooked. Similar to the last few years when people were bragging about our linebackers leading the league in tackles look at these first 2 games. Isaac Smith is our top tackler. Nothing against him at all but that is not a good thing. Regardless of who is playing that position if they are your top tackler it means you are giving up major yardage. Another possible problem is suddenly Arkansas is rolling up yardage and running the ball all over everybody. Last year not so much. Let's hope that's not because of their new OL coach. Gonna get pushed around all year cause I don't see a fix for the DL. Will the OL gel as everybody likes to say ? Probly not

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We'll beat toledo by 20+

Its not a skill thing. Its a line thing. Against Toledo we'll be able to match up on the O and D Lines.. thus letting our advantage in the skill positions take effect.

Against the teams where we cant control the LOS or even match up well, you'll see similar results that you saw this weekend.

And to the person that says it came down to a PI and fumble. At 30-3, the entire ASU game plan changed. Game was over at that point. Its natural to have a let down when you know youve won the game. We got whipped and there is very little if any positive that came out of it. The people that are applauding the end of game comeback and fight... is just crazy.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
We'll beat toledo by 20+

Its not a skill thing. Its a line thing. Against Toledo we'll be able to match up on the O and D Lines.. thus letting our advantage in the skill positions take effect.

Against the teams where we cant control the LOS or even match up well, you'll see similar results that you saw this weekend.

And to the person that says it came down to a PI and fumble. At 30-3, the entire ASU game plan changed. Game was over at that point. Its natural to have a let down when you know youve won the game. We got whipped and there is very little if any positive that came out of it. The people that are applauding the end of game comeback and fight... is just crazy.
The ease that ASU just resumed ramming that white guy down our throats after we got to within 7 says it all. They could have beaten us by at least 2 more touchdowns if they had wanted to.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The ease that ASU just resumed ramming that white guy down our throats after we got to within 7 says it all. They could have beaten us by at least 2 more touchdowns if they had wanted to.
agreed. Human nature, at home 30-3 half way thru the 3rd. They likely subbed in a few guys on D. Tried to get a look at a few different things. We bust em for a big play then they just go right back to the game plan and shove it down our throats.

Thats like the boxer whose beat the crap out of his opponent for 8 rounds and knows as long as he doesnt get knocked out in the 9th and 10th hes going to win the fight... he goes into a different mode and loses rounds 9 and 10...... we trying to give ourselves credit for winning rounds 9 and 10 and we dont understand that ASU wasnt even fighting at that point.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The people that are applauding the end of game comeback and fight... is just crazy.
Damn, I thought I was going to agree with one of your posts. But this killed it.

You don't think the fact that we showed some life and want-to in the 4th quarter was at least a good sign?

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I can't make predictions well anymore...too many teams are thin at key positions (see: Bama's Right Tackles).
We could lose Shapen and finish 2-10, or a couple of our opponents might suffer the same.
For example, Arkansas' skinny RBs might be dead by the time they get to us.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Damn, I thought I was going to agree with one of your posts. But this killed it.

You don't think the fact that we showed some life and want-to in the 4th quarter was at least a good sign?
i mean if your trying to put lipstick on a pig then ok.

Its like we want credit for continuing to play. Its like kids in school wanting a passing grade for turning in work... if we are applauding ourselves for that, then the expectations are too low for my liking.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I absolutely hate who we are as a fanbase. Weak and soft.
Well, it took about a 100 years to perfect our fan skills. Picking yourself out of the mud on the playing field can be a great teacher. The 2014 season proved that we can be a strong fan base but it is predicated on winning. Unfortunately, which comes first the chicken or the egg. That is the conundrum.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Well, it took about a 100 years to perfect our fan skills. Picking yourself out of the mud on the playing field can be a great teacher. The 2014 season proved that we can be a strong fan base but it is predicated on winning. Unfortunately, which comes first the chicken or the egg. That is the conundrum.
When Mullen was hired in 2008, one of the first things he asked was for us to fill DWS. It wasn’t winning then fans showed up, it was the opposite.
5-7
8-4
6-6
8-4
6-6

Then 2014 happened. But our fan support in the first 5 years hardly wavered.

Now, (since 2020)some of our fans ask the athletic department for a handjob and a stimulus package to show up to a football game.

Last edited:

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
When Mullen was hired in 2008, one of the first things he asked was for us to fill DWS. It wasn’t winning then fans showed up, it was the opposite.
5-7
8-4
6-6
8-4
6-6

Then 2014 happened. But our fan support in the first 5 years hardly wavered.

Now, (since 2020)some of our fans ask the athletic department for a handjob and a stimulus package to show up to a football game.
Let me rephrase "predicated on winning or the hope of winning." Mullen was a Moses to this fan base and we followed him to the promised land (2014). When he left it scattered the tribe and we are back in the wilderness again. Remember, it was not that long ago that the SPS board's motto was "abandon all hope all ye who enter here".

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Hopefully we have the type of players and staff that can learn from what went wrong and improve as the season goes on. Perhaps we will have to load the box more on defense and go to a higher percentage of pass plays on offense???? I don’t think we can fix not having the athletes we need immediately so we have to see if we can offset weaknesses with scheme and play calling. This is where we find out if we have a coaching staff that can be flexible and innovative with what we have to work with. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds from here.
Think that's a pipe dream - that the coaches learned anything. D's depth chart looks pretty similar. Doesn't look like they learned anything after letting everyone else know all they have to do is run the ball and they WILL score, they WILL eat the clock up, and that will prevent us having too many possessions. Without the horses for a 3 man front, we should be working out how we play a 4 man before the more physical teams show up on the schedule.

1725917056599.png

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login