3 major issues

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
1. Our defensive linemen get very little to no pressure on the QB- thus, we have to blitz nearly every play leaving receivers wide open

2. We look slow and out of shape on defense

3. The offensive playcalling is bland AF. Explosive plays my ***, we ran off tackle 40 times this game. Give me some matchup quick hitter passes, play fakes, something.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
1. Our defensive linemen get very little to no pressure on the QB- thus, we have to blitz nearly every play leaving receivers wide open

3. The offensive playcalling is bland AF. Explosive plays my ***, we ran off tackle 40 times this game. Give me some matchup quick hitter passes, play fakes, something.
Outside of that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Offense, defense, special teams

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Our offense sucked out loud. Barbay clearly doesn’t trust Will and is trying to take the game out of his hands. To be fair, Will is not as confident in this system as he was in air raid. But if Barbay thinks he can hide Will against SEC defenses, he’s got a rude awakening waiting for him next week.

We are also complete misusing Wright. He should be our goal to go and short yardage QB. We seem to bring him in randomly. It is baffling.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The DL is not as big of a problem as our secondary. And I agree we were on the field too much because we went from ball control to no control. We don't have the personnel to be a RUN 1ST Offense. Our linemen have been pass-blocking for the last couple of years, not run-blocking, and they do a lousy job because they don't know what they are. They have zero identity and cohesiveness.

Our playcalling is tentative. If the other team turns the ball over five times, you should not win in overtime. You really can't point a finger at Will for this because he's just running what they are calling. He's here for two touchdowns, and did not have any interceptions tonight So point your fingers at the OC because he spent most of that running for the sidelines. I can't remember the last time I saw him having to throw the ball away. We have trying to fit too many square pegs in round holes.

Will threw the ball 17 times 162 yards and 2 TDs. 17 times

We ran the ball 39 times for 145 yards

The defense won that game. I hope you all are happy we ran so much. We are ******

kired

Aug 22, 2008
To be fair, Will is not as confident in this system as he was in air raid. But if Barbay thinks he can hide Will against SEC defenses, he’s got a rude awakening waiting for him next week.

There was a play maybe early 4th quarter where we went 5 wide, Will hit Tulu on a little slant. I said at the time - that was the most comfortable he looked all night. Will is a air raid QB. It’s all he’s ever known. We’re gonna have to mix some of that in if we want him to be confident passing.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

#3 we just saving all the innovative plays for the corndogs.**

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Really felt like those early turnovers were going to give our secondary a huge confidence boost and our offense would get it rolling. But hell to the no.
Arizona could have won by two or three touchdowns. They should be feeling real good after that loss considering what they were able to do on offense and how their defense played.
Mississippi State on the other hand...
No longer feeling too optimistic about our season going forward.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008

2. We look slow and out of shape on defense we

1. We don’t have fast, twitchy guys on defense…especially at DLine and LB. We have size and always work to make our guys bulk up. But most teams are going leaner and faster. Montez Sweat was probably the last true speed DEnd we’ve had.

2. Mentioned it above. But we model our team like we’re playing in the 90s. Big and slow. No team speed outside of a couple skill positions

3. The offense is what it is at this point. People can say they want to see changes from one week to the next but you can’t overhaul it in a couple days. You can’t just “rebuild” with some different play calls. That’s on the coaches to figure that out in the spring and early summer and start working on it then. I always get a kick out of coaches saying after a bad game “that’s on us. We’ll get that fixed.” No you won’t. You just don’t know what the 17 you’re doing and don’t want the fans coming after you.

The truth of the matter is we panic hired a HC with zero experience to learn on the job in the toughest conference. And he has no idea or foundation to pull from to fully believe or trust in what he’s doing will be successful. And no, being a “tough, hard-nosed SOB” isn’t a precursor for being an awesome leader for a program.

And then we hired an OC with limited, mediocre experience from a team that was good on offense before he got there and still good since he left. IMO, this is going to what really sinks Arnett. He has basically a 2 year tryout and he tied himself to a terrible offensive approach.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
1. We don’t have fast, twitchy guys on defense…especially at DLine and LB. We have size and always work to make our guys bulk up. But most teams are going leaner and faster. Montez Sweat was probably the last true speed DEnd we’ve had.

2. Mentioned it above. But we model our team like we’re playing in the 90s. Big and slow. No team speed outside of a couple skill positions

3. The offense is what it is at this point. People can say they want to see changes from one week to the next but you can’t overhaul it in a couple days. You can’t just “rebuild” with some different play calls. That’s on the coaches to figure that out in the spring and early summer and start working on it then. I always get a kick out of coaches saying after a bad game “that’s on us. We’ll get that fixed.” No you won’t. You just don’t know what the 17 you’re doing and don’t want the fans coming after you.

The truth of the matter is we panic hired a HC with zero experience to learn on the job in the toughest conference. And he has no idea or foundation to pull from to fully believe or trust in what he’s doing will be successful. And no, being a “tough, hard-nosed SOB” isn’t a precursor for being an awesome leader for a program.

And then we hired an OC with limited, mediocre experience from a team that was good on offense before he got there and still good since he left. IMO, this is going to what really sinks Arnett. He has basically a 2 year tryout and he tied himself to a terrible offensive approach.
Wow, that's a deep assessment after game 2. Did Arizona beat us 50 - 3? FIRE Arnett now and he take can take his loser of a field goal kicker with him. **

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Wow, that's a deep assessment after game 2. Did Arizona beat us 50 - 3? FIRE Arnett now and he take can take his loser of a field goal kicker with him. **
Ain’t really that deep pods. Right there in front of you if you have your eyes open. But you gotta take off those maroon shades first.

You only have to see a fat *** once to know that they’re fat. “Well I don’t know Jimmy. Maybe if we look at him from a different angle he’ll look different. Naw, never mind, still fat.”

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Part of the defense looking slow is they were on the field way too much. Arizona had the ball 33:46 to our 12:36.

I agree with the other two points. D line pressure was very concerning.

ETA: The Score app is broken. Actual TOP was 32:22 to our 27:38. Wish I could see it broken down by half.
And the other reason they look slow is because the ARE slow. The front seven has some good, hard-nosed football players, but they aren’t great athletes.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023

Good post. his decision to fire all Of Leachs staff and rebuild from scratch, coming off a 9-4 season where you return just about the whole team never made sense. Especially for a young DC who had never been a head coach. baffling.
It made all of the sense in the world to have stability the first year, especially with so many seniors who know one system so well.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Hard to imagine getting all those turnovers and still giving up over 400 yards offense. Not sure what that says but it isn't good.

To be fair, Arizona has a legit offense. Top 20 nationally last year. So I have to credit them for having playmakers that aren’t easy to stop. We’ve still got things to worry about on defense but we will see several SEC offenses not as good as that one.

We’ve gotta turn Will loose in the passing game more. He’s not Pat Mahomes but he’s plenty good enough to deserve more than 15 pass attempts in regulation.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We’ve gotta turn Will loose in the passing game more. He’s not Pat Mahomes but he’s plenty good enough to deserve more than 15 pass attempts in regulation.
Don't see it. He had plenty of opportunities and only capitalized on 3 or 4 of them. Not nearly as accurate as folks give him credit for. Cannot throw a receiver open to save his life.

Way too inconsistent to be a 4th year starter.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
There was a play maybe early 4th quarter where we went 5 wide, Will hit Tulu on a little slant. I said at the time - that was the most comfortable he looked all night. Will is a air raid QB. It’s all he’s ever known. We’re gonna have to mix some of that in if we want him to be confident passing.
The kid completed 76% of his passes in this system on Sat.

The issue was play calling. BTW, 76% completion on 17 passes isn't easy. Hard to get in a rhythm

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
To be fair, Arizona has a legit offense. Top 20 nationally last year. So I have to credit them for having playmakers that aren’t easy to stop. We’ve still got things to worry about on defense but we will see several SEC offenses not as good as that one.

It's the only way we have a shot.

If he does not allow Rogers to throw and depends on the run, we will not win 5 games.

Reactions: bolddogge

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Don't see it. He had plenty of opportunities and only capitalized on 3 or 4 of them. Not nearly as accurate as folks give him credit for. Cannot throw a receiver open to save his life.

Way too inconsistent to be a 4th year starter.
What? He completed 76% with 2 TDs? In a new system!

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
The actual problem here is that every blitz appeared to be a zone blitz Saturday and we left holes for the receivers and backs to run to. If we mixed in some more press coverage to knock people off their routes, the blitzes would've gotten home some. However, I think we used the zone blitz so much because we were scared that he would just take off and gash us instead of us actually making the tackle in the backfield. But we did the same thing too much imo, and he got comfortable back there and sliced us apart.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The actual problem here is that every blitz appeared to be a zone blitz Saturday and we left holes for the receivers and backs to run to. If we mixed in some more press coverage to knock people off their routes, the blitzes would've gotten home some. However, I think we used the zone blitz so much because we were scared that he would just take off and gash us instead of us actually making the tackle in the backfield. But we did the same thing too much imo, and he got comfortable back there and sliced us apart.
Maybe that's a piece of it, but none of our DL seemed capable of beating a block and pressuring the QB. At all. Nor our LBs on blitzes, as AZ was quite comfortable assigning an OL or RB to pick them up without worrying a bit about double teaming an DLineman. One stud you have to double team can free up an entire defense. We don't have one.

Reactions: bolddogge

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I've noticed that this is the theme of bad coaching. I'm not ready to go that far yet for this team, but I distinctly remember this being a defining feature of Croom's and Moorhead's teams. It was most apparent in 2008 for Croom, and 2019 for Moorhead. And I remember the transformation once Mullen got there in 2009. We definitely shaped up under Leach too, though I didn't really notice until 2021, COVID n stuff.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe that's a piece of it, but none of our DL seemed capable of beating a block and pressuring the QB. At all. Nor our LBs on blitzes, as AZ was quite comfortable assigning an OL or RB to pick them up without worrying a bit about double teaming an DLineman. One stud you have to double team can free up an entire defense. We don't have one.
I didn't watch this part very close, but it's definitely concerning. I had some high hopes here and even if we didn't have one stud, I figured we had 3-4 very good, older players. I guess talent is talent.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I've noticed that this is the theme of bad coaching. I'm not ready to go that far yet for this team, but I distinctly remember this being a defining feature of Croom's and Moorhead's teams. It was most apparent in 2008 for Croom, and 2019 for Moorhead. And I remember the transformation once Mullen got there in 2009. We definitely shaped up under Leach too, though I didn't really notice until 2021, COVID n stuff.
Did we lose our trainer in the off season. I haven't seen him on the sideline at all.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

I had a problem with Moorhead doing it, and now Barbay came in here saying it. I don't trust any coach who comes in here talking about how we are planning for more "explosive plays"... You can't really plan out explosive plays as a big part of the game plan. Otherwise, every team would call that play on every down. "Explosive play on 2, on 2, ready, break"

No, you create a plan to get your guys in space, or get them in the best positions to move the chains and score, then if a play works you can retroactively call it an explosive play. We scored on two screen passes Saturday. Would he claim credit for those being "explosive"? It's just stupid coachspeak.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
What? He completed 76% with 2 TDs? In a new system!
5 of those completed passes put his receivers in a position where they could do nothing with the ball but go down. One was so poorly thrown to wide open receiver he was unable to score a TD on our first drive.
Rogers is a serviceable QB. At best.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Here's another issue: Our line play was inconsistent last Saturday, both sides, but particularly on offense - Dolla Bill to the point that he might actually be a liability.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I didn't watch this part very close, but it's definitely concerning. I had some high hopes here and even if we didn't have one stud, I figured we had 3-4 very good, older players. I guess talent is talent.
I saw Jett Johnson blitz twice and their QB rushed his throws because of it and missed both times.

was21

May 29, 2007
Just a dumb question. Why doesn't Arnett tell Barbay that he is going to be in the booth instead of on the field? Clearly he can't see the field in its entirety from the sideline.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login