30 years 2 weeks ago, I was there....

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
I was there to see MSU destroy Steve Spurrier and the Gators in Starkville 30-6 and near the end of the game the student section began singing Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places" in unison.
Was there as a student. Electric night at Davis Wade. My favorite memory is the chant of "We want Shane!" after Spurrier benched Pascagoula native Shane Matthews. Matthews had said something controversial about MSU or his home state leading up to the game, and we enjoyed a measure of revenge that night.

Reactions: Double Dawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I was there to see MSU destroy Steve Spurrier and the Gators in Starkville 30-6 and near the end of the game the student section began singing Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places" in unison.
I wasn't there but was in a great place to watch it.....The Grove with my old room mate from State. It's a long story for another day but it was glorious.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Thursday night. I was there in the student section with my best friend and room mate as well as our friend Jack. We started at about 11:00 that morning at the old Pizza Hut. Way too obnoxious even before the game started. Glorious day. Edited to add: The chant I remember was "Shane Matthews for Heisman!"

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I missed it because I had a football game Friday night and plans that Saturday as well so I couldn’t even go to the Black Crowes concert. The chant I was told that reverberated through the student section ended with “Shane won’t you bite my ***.” This is second hand knowledge passed on to me so take it for what it’s worth.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
I missed it because I had a football game Friday night and plans that Saturday as well so I couldn’t even go to the Black Crowes concert. The chant I was told that reverberated through the student section ended with “Shane won’t you bite my ***.” This is second hand knowledge passed on to me so take it for what it’s worth.
I was a sophomore in the student section - and too much of a haze to remember what we chanted.
But, I know we kept the party going thru the weekend and the Crowes concert. Lost some brain cells that weekend!

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Me too, brother. Sophomore year for me.
Daniel Freakin Boyd, man.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I was there, too...Learned later after watching a VHS of the game a couple days later that I was literally not far from Shane Matthews father who on the top row of the East Side (this was before the upper deck was installed)

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Someone remind my old fart brain. I know I was in Memphis watching on TV for the Thursday Night Game but I remember being at the day game when we whipped Spurrier's As$. Wasn't that the year we went to the ATL? Wasn't that the game where the 3rd and 37 (or something) happened? I remember being on the field as Spurrier was trying to exit and a fan ripped the visor off his head. He was not a happy guy but just kept on jogging for the exit.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Someone remind my old fart brain. I know I was in Memphis watching on TV for the Thursday Night Game but I remember being at the day game when we whipped Spurrier's As$. Wasn't that the year we went to the ATL? Wasn't that the game where the 3rd and 37 (or something) happened? I remember being on the field as Spurrier was trying to exit and a fan ripped the visor off his head. He was not a happy guy but just kept on jogging for the exit.
Yes, I said 4th-47, but it was 3rd and 37, and Spurrier Punted on third down.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010

Was in the Famous Maroon Band. Watched Sleepy go down. Amazing to beat Spurrier that night.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login