30 years ago about right now we lost power in the ice storm.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We drove to Ruleville when they got the roads open to bring my wife's aunt back to our house. The damage to trees, powerlines, fences and sheds was similar to a major tornado except it went on for miles and miles . I believe every pole from Indianola to Ruleville was on the ground.

Reactions: aTotal360

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I remember driving down Perkins. Just before Winchester there was a pile of cars at the bottom of the hill. I knew I couldn't brake because I'd lose control and slide into them. So Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder, I drove through it.
it was a long few days. But we were lucky to have a wood fireplace for heat.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We drove to Ruleville when they got the roads open to bring my wife's aunt back to our house. The damage to trees, powerlines, fences and sheds was similar to a major tornado except it went on for miles and miles . I believe every pole from Indianola to Ruleville was on the ground.
Power went out and luckily we had gas logs so my dad hung up blankets on all the doorways in our living room and we stayed in there. Rest of the house was ice cold by morning.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I lived in Starkville then, but I remember that storm very well. I want to say we had some winter weather too but nothing to the degree the Delta.

Reactions: Double Dawg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I was actually living just outside Parchman at the time (stepdad worked there). We were without power for about for 6-7 days. Luckily, Parchman was the priority to get power. I know lots of people that went weeks without electricity. It was an absolute disaster. It was cool that people were passing their generators down the road as people got power. On the flip side, I know for a fact people got shot for trying to steal farm gas. It was wild.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I will never forget that night and next morning listening to transformers exploding and trees crashing to the ground on the bluff above our house.
My grandparents lived in southern Bolivar County and were without power for 6 weeks. A line of wooden high voltage transmission lines that ran in a field about a half mile behind their house fell like dominos as far as you could see in both directions. The thing I remember is the short line of demarcation somewhere around Indianola - it went from what amounted to a heavy frost to war zone destruction over just a few miles.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I lived in south Washington county and we were on tail end of it. We still lost power several times for several hours each time.

One of those times came at a controversial time in sports history. Nancy Kerrigan was fixing to skate in the Olympics.

The lead up to this was huge and was all the media had talked about for weeks, after it was found out that white trash Tonya Harding was involved in the hit on Kerrigan.

Right after the skating warm ups there was a “boom” close by and the power went out.

We sat in the darkness just stunned at the timing of the storm in our area.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Driving back to Jackson from Starkville in a Jeep Comanche pickup. I'd thrown 3 pine logs in the bed to give me enough traction to stay on the road. I picked up six people between Starkville and Jackson on 25 from cars that had gone in the ditch. That truck had one bench seat made for 3 people and a 4 speed on the floor.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Experienced car problems West of Booneville 6 weeks after the storm and the nearest house ( no cell phone then ) still had no power and they were cooling on top of a wood stove. Whenever there’s the possibility of freezing rain my eye’s twitch just a little. That storm was unreal

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Power went out and luckily we had gas logs so my dad hung up blankets on all the doorways in our living room and we stayed in there. Rest of the house was ice cold by morning.
We had a wood burning stove. It kept the house plenty warm. Showers were a different story. That water was ice cold.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Grateful Dead played in Memphis the same night I believe. Had several friends at state with me drive up for it.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Everyone around us lost power for weeks. We didn’t. I am in an isolated area of our neighborhood and our EPA ran power to our house from the industrial park south of us. The plants don’t lose power, ever. We stayed warm and toastee the whole two weeks.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There was a crew in Hollandale from Florida. Friend of mine went to hook up to them and crew denied, “saying this thing will go anywhere!” Well, apparently anywhere doesn’t consist of Sharkey Clay in the dough stage. They went about 50 feet.
The crew that restored our power was from South Carolina. “I’ve never seen mud like this.” Sharkey clay for the win.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
I was in high school and my sister was at Delta State. Riding with my dad to get my sister after the storm was something I will never forget. It took hours to get from Grenada to Cleveland.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Lived in Greenwood. For about 30 minutes we got ice in the tops of our pine trees and then it melted so we were spared that one. I think it was 96 we got hit hard. Right around Christmas I know. The 94 one I worked as a cashier in the Greenwood Jitney Jungle. I still have PTSD from that.

Reactions: bkmaroon

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Clarksdale looked like a bomb went off. None of the trees had limbs. My grandmother didn’t have power in town for over a month.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I will never forget that night and next morning listening to transformers exploding and trees crashing to the ground on the bluff above our house.
Worked at Tupelo Water and Light. I have never worked so many hours before or since. It was fun for a 23 year old. Tupelo restaurants fed us every day and we were saved by the fact that it warmed up after about 36 hours of freezing cold. We were able to do most of the repairs in decent weather.

bkmaroon

Sep 26, 2023
Lived in Greenwood. For about 30 minutes we got ice in the tops of our pine trees and then it melted so we were spared that one. I think it was 96 we got hit hard. Right around Christmas I know. The 94 one I worked as a cashier in the Greenwood Jitney Jungle. I still have PTSD from that.
96 is the one that gives me nightmares.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
I was 8 and learned what a weather head was because ours going into the house snapped off when the trees/limb pulled the lines down
Can’t remember how long we didn’t have power but I remember it being a while

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
I will preface this with "I'm old". I'm 58.

But the winter storm the week leading up to the January 20, 1985 SuperBowl between SF and Miami was quite an adventure. There was a basketball game at the Hump that went on as scheduled. I can't remember who the opponent was. We lost power and phones were out. No such thing as cell phones obviously. We put our beers in the snow to keep them cold.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I will preface this with "I'm old". I'm 58.

But the winter storm the week leading up to the January 20, 1985 SuperBowl between SF and Miami was quite an adventure. There was a basketball game at the Hump that went on as scheduled. I can't remember who the opponent was.
I believe you are referring to the Alabama game. Highway 82 and all other roads was iced over. State let people in free. Dozens of people were there.

Ken Harvey punched an Alabama player and the players went at it for a few moments. Wimp Sanderson said State let in a bunch of rowdy people.

Last edited:

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
2 weeks no power. Cooked everything in the deep freezer on the grill to survive.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The freezing line was about 8 miles north of where I live. I was glad of that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login