34.5 million was completed in Hump renovation…

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Reactions: Dawgg and WilCoDawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I guess this revelation will make everyone happy and all the bitching about 'The Dump' will stop completely**

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Does that mean there is more to come? They came in under budget by $15MM?
It's means a couple of things:

- Total rebuild or renovation was never on the table, because we didn't have the money for it for one, and it just didn't make sense overall;
- The Hump has some tradition, not to mention the Mize building is connected to it, so relocation was out;
- Our fans will literally bltch about anything.

One we start routinely selling out the Hump again for like a decade, we can start talking about adding suites and such like Louisville or whoever. It's not an urban arena, nor should it be. The club level was what was needed and we fixed that problem.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
There was a section of seats on the halfcourt that would be removed and replaced with a \ _ / kind of design, based on the original concept video. That has been scratched. Would be interesting to see all that got cut.

We did paint the outside of the building. But seeing how entire practice facilities with more square feet and more new amentities are built for $80M makes you wonder how we just dropped $34M and we got a handful of things.

Calling State auditor Shad White.....

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Who here has seats on the court? And how much do I need to pay you for them for the midweek games?

Those seats are always vacant, and I want to sit down there with all the action.

Reactions: dorndawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Am I the only person that doesn’t care about “premium seating” and concourse upgrades? I go to games to watch them. I think the Hump is a great venue.
You know who has a the dumpiest arena in the country? Duke. And they give all the best seats to the students. Can you imagine all the revenue they’ve lost out on? And for what? Atmosphere? Who cares about that.
I say we build a new place after Duke does.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
You make a good point about Duke. However we don't have the atmosphere of Duke. Also all our surrounding rivals have built new arenas, Auburn, OM and Bama is in the process.

I won't buy premium seats. Not right now. However I'm sure I will experience that area as I've already seen people selling tickets in the club level.

I really like OMs open areas above and behind the baskets. There are drink rails. Also there is an area to eat at a table and watch the game. I would like to see State have those amenities.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Am I the only person that doesn’t care about “premium seating” and concourse upgrades? I go to games to watch them. I think the Hump is a great venue.
You know who has a the dumpiest arena in the country? Duke. And they give all the best seats to the students. Can you imagine all the revenue they’ve lost out on? And for what? Atmosphere? Who cares about that.
Add to that it's a quick 2 hours, with half the games mid week nights and in the dead of winter so not a lot of hanging out/grilling season. Not a bad seat in the house and loud as hell when we fill it up. Think the face lift is fine and have no idea what the "should cost" would be. Just know shlt be's expensive these days.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Definitely didn't come under budget. They had to trim some fat.
Not surprising. The timing of the construction unfortunately fell during the period when material costs and lead times skyrocketed. I had a few projects that were put on hold and others that had to be re-designed to re-value engineer due to the insane price increases.

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
Robbie's tour the other day looked pretty good actually.

- I don't care about premium seating.
- I do care about the concourse, amount of restrooms, & length of lines at the concession stand. That matters.
- Don't really care about the inside of the seating bowl as long as I can see.

It's certainly debatable if we wanted to spend $150 mil & build a new arena, but for $35 mil I think the Hump has certainly been upgraded

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Duke has an 11.5 billion dollar endowment. They can sacrifice some basketball revenue. Not to mention their basketball apparel contract probably dwarfs ours.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Not surprising. The timing of the construction unfortunately fell during the period when material costs and lead times skyrocketed. I had a few projects that were put on hold and others that had to be re-designed to re-value engineer due to the insane price increases.
Just the cost for staining the brick was astronomical. We ran out of stain and it took some time to finish that. Now, if you look up close at the hump, all the brick is stained, but it looks like two different tones. It really looks like crap.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’m a simpleton but I don’t understand how we had a $50 mill budget, prices soared, but we only spent $34.5 mill.

Added: there is a 2022 article saying budget was 40 mill and the contract was awarded for 34.5.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’m a simpleton but I don’t understand how we had a $50 mill budget, prices soared, but we only spent $34.5 mill.

Added: there is a 2022 article saying budget was 40 mill and the contract was awarded for 34.5.
Hopefully you can see the long term affects of the short sighted decision to kill the atmosphere in the hump for a quick buck. Put the program first, and dollars will follow. Now is the time to plan for correcting past mistakes. If we have a good season this year, seating chart needs to change and put students back in the prime seats down low. This makes a better product and will bring in more money.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Duke has an 11.5 billion dollar endowment. They can sacrifice some basketball revenue. Not to mention their basketball apparel contract probably dwarfs ours.
Seems like the other side of that endowment would mean they could easily afford a new arena, but have chosen not to go that route. Maybe they have chosen substance over flash, which we always also seem to do given the choice. Not saying it's necessarily the right choice, but I could easily see the higher ups deciding the return on that investment wasn't worth $150M (or whatever), especially back in the Ray-Howland era when this decision was made.

As I've said before, I'm not sure recruits care so much what the arena looks like, or the comfort of the fans. Many teams with a lot worse arenas than us seem to recruit just fine. Besides Cameron Indoor, Allen Fieldhouse hasn't been renovated in over 20 years. Gonzaga plays in a 6,000 seat arena. Michigan State had a $50M reno in 2016, but that only added a weight room, some hall of fame room, and other cosmetics. The list is long. I'm just saying, this new facelift shouldn't set us back.

Hopefully Jans will get us to the promised land and we have a huge influx of contributors so we get to rethink our decision. But then that would be ironic if we start winning and it had nothing to do with whether the Hump got a facelift or a complete demolition and build back.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Seems like the other side of that endowment would mean they could easily afford a new arena, but have chosen not to go that route. Maybe they have chosen substance over flash, which we always also seem to do given the choice. Not saying it's necessarily the right choice, but I could easily see the higher ups deciding the return on that investment wasn't worth $150M (or whatever), especially back in the Ray-Howland era when this decision was made.

As I've said before, I'm not sure recruits care so much what the arena looks like, or the comfort of the fans. Many teams with a lot worse arenas than us seem to recruit just fine. Besides Cameron Indoor, Allen Fieldhouse hasn't been renovated in over 20 years. Gonzaga plays in a 6,000 seat arena. On and on.

Hopefully Jans will get us to the promised land and we have a huge influx of contributors so we get to rethink our decision. But then that would be ironic if we start winning and it had nothing to do with whether the Hump got a facelift or a complete demolition and build back.
I agree. I would have spent zero.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login