3pt lines were different distances in a WBB Elite8 game yesterday

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
“The two head coaches were made aware of the discrepancy and elected to play a complete game on the court as is, rather than correcting the court and delaying the game. The court will be corrected before tomorrow’s game in Portland.”

That's 17ed up.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The interesting thing is they played the entire regional that way, and when they studied the statistics they found that the 3 point shooting percentage was actually lower on the end with the shorter line. Just goes to show how much muscle memory plays into shooting a basketball.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I wouldn't have agreed to play. There are too many scenarios in which this could affect the outcome of the game. One team's style might be shooting the three more than the other. I might get the correct three-point line in the first half in a tight game and not take many threes. Then, in the second half, I'm down ten with the incorrect three-point line trying to get back in the game. Or, at the very least, it could get in my players' heads.

If it were a game in November, fine. But there's no way I'm playing an Elite Eight game with an incorrect three-point line.

Not saying it impacted the outcome of this game because I didn't watch it, but the stats are interesting:
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 9.52.10 AM.png

Texas shot 36.4% from three on the year. They averaged four made threes per game. They averaged eleven three-point attempts per game. Did Vic tell them to take fewer threes? Did the players take fewer threes on their own?

It's not enough sample size to know if it had an impact. Teams have off nights with perfect lines all the time. The point is I'm not playing with incorrect lines because I don't want any question of whether that had an impact on the outcome.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
5 responses to a thread that is about court 3pt lines being different distances, and 2 of em force recent right leaning outrage issues into the conversation.
F17S.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
5 responses to a thread that is about court 3pt lines being different distances, and 2 of em force recent right leaning outrage issues into the conversation.
F17S.
Is blaming a woman for not knowing how a tape measure works a right leaning issue? I blame men for lying to women about length for centuries for this issue. Women have been permanently un-calibrated for measuring length.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
How did it become incorrect? Was it set where the men's line normally is or is it just randomly wrong?

No, I didn't read the article, I'm lazy.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The interesting thing is they played the entire regional that way, and when they studied the statistics they found that the 3 point shooting percentage was actually lower on the end with the shorter line. Just goes to show how much muscle memory plays into shooting a basketball.
Assuming the shorter line was the one that was incorrect, that doesn't seem that surprising. If you ever shoot on a court without lines and you will quickly figure out your brain was using the lines to help establish how far out you are and not just using looking at the goal.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
How did it become incorrect? Was it set where the men's line normally is or is it just randomly wrong?

I’m guessing they have different panels for different distances they can interchange and someone just put the wrong ones out.

I was watching highlights of one of the men’s tournament games and whatever court they were playing on had 3 different three point lines marked on the court. Of course the men’s one was the farthest I’m guessing the other two were high school and women’s.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I wouldn't have agreed to play. There are too many scenarios in which this could affect the outcome of the game. One team's style might be shooting the three more than the other. I might get the correct three-point line in the first half in a tight game and not take many threes. Then, in the second half, I'm down ten with the incorrect three-point line trying to get back in the game. Or, at the very least, it could get in my players' heads.

If it were a game in November, fine. But there's no way I'm playing an Elite Eight game with an incorrect three-point line.

Not saying it impacted the outcome of this game because I didn't watch it, but the stats are interesting:
View attachment 550441

Texas shot 36.4% from three on the year. They averaged four made threes per game. They averaged eleven three-point attempts per game. Did Vic tell them to take fewer threes? Did the players take fewer threes on their own?

It's not enough sample size to know if it had an impact. Teams have off nights with perfect lines all the time. The point is I'm not playing with incorrect lines because I don't want any question of whether that had an impact on the outcome.
It would have been cool if they agreed to play with pre-1985 rules and just say everything is 2 points only.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Short answer is that the contractor that builds the floor placed in the "center punch" in the wrong location. The center punch is used to center the vinyl tape that marks the 3 point line. Quality control missed the mistake at multiple levels and it was discovered shortly before tip-off of the Texas-NC State game. They gave both coaches the option to delay until it was fixed. Both agreed to play.

In the grand scheme of things, both teams had equal opportunity on the shorter floor unless they went into overtime, which didn't happen.

ETA: I watched the game on television and it wasn't obvious or egregiously lopsided as to which one was shorter. Even Vic was out there 'walking it off' to see if he could notice the difference.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
I really only noticed it after they pointed it out - didn't seem to impact the game, though. They fixed it for last night's game, and it was obvious because they fixed the line without filling in the "inside the arc" color.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
All the men's and women's tournament courts are exactly alike, except for the hosting city name, so you have to wonder how they made such a mistake. Presumably the hosting venues are sent templates, or maybe even materials. I have no idea how they redo the floors for the tournament games so quickly after regular season use.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Pretty sure the men's and women's 3-point lines are the same in college now. NBA pushes it out a bit farther.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login