4 years, 4 coaches

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
I think someone touched on it, but how do you think having 4 coaches in 4 years is now effecting this team? Seems like that may be part of the missing link to upperclassmen leadership and players. No one wanted to come/commit with the uncertainty around the program.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think someone touched on it, but how do you think having 4 coaches in 4 years is now effecting this team? Seems like that may be part of the missing link to upperclassmen leadership and players. No one wanted to come/commit with the uncertainty around the program.
Lem took over in the summer of 2018. The true juniors were sophomores. Baseball recruiting is certainly really long but I dont buy that. Bringing in a freshman pitching class last year with so many guys that should never have been takes is the biggest issue. Not developing the talent is the other. Tepper, Fristoe, Cade…

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Lemonis is in his third year. The biggest issue is injuries and lack of development with this pitching staff. We've recruited well.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We have no 17ing pitching coach. He failed to recruit/develop pitching. He's been here long enough that shouldn't happen. Firing him will improve a lot. But Lem only gets next year after this one goes up in flames. Enough bullshlitz is enough!

Reactions: patdog

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Only politicians blame their predecessors after being on the job 4+ years.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think it has basically nothing to do with it. He and foxhall just did a ****** job identifying and/or developing pitchers. To his credit, Lemonis has gotten capable hitters and fielders to have a competitive team. We do have a hole at catcher, but I guess some of that you can maybe blame on recruiting behind Logan Tanner. We also aren't fielding very well in addition to lacking pitchers. But the killer thing is pitching. We are lucky some of our young pitchers are doing well because it certainly seems like the longer pitchers are here, the worse they are doing.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Lem took over in the summer of 2018. The true juniors were sophomores. Baseball recruiting is certainly really long but I dont buy that. Bringing in a freshman pitching class last year with so many guys that should never have been takes is the biggest issue. Not developing the talent is the other. Tepper, Fristoe, Cade…

You’ve said it already, but the pitching class last year was just a complete dud. For starters, we didn’t take enough. Only signed I believe 6 or 7 and lost a few to pro ball and one guy signed but never even showed up. Walling was a bust. Walker was a guy everyone wanted who was a bust. Kohn - who the 17 knows, but he looked the part last year for a freshmen. You can’t just hit on a single pitcher from a whole signing class though. Its OK if you miss on evaluations on even as much as 50% of the time. That’s probably the average for most programs considering that you are offering these kids in 8th / 9th grade before they are anywhere close to finished products. But you can’t miss on damn near all of them in a class.

To Foxhall’s credit, the 2022 class seems much better. I think Tepper probably should have stayed and would likely be improved if he did. Cade may have some health issues, not fully ready to throw him under the bus yet. He was a better pitcher in 2022 than he was in 2021, so some development was happening there regardless of who gets credit for it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think it has basically nothing to do with it. He and foxhall just did a ****** job identifying and/or developing pitchers. To his credit, Lemonis has gotten capable hitters and fielders to have a competitive team. We do have a hole at catcher, but I guess some of that you can maybe blame on recruiting behind Logan Tanner. We also aren't fielding very well in addition to lacking pitchers. But the killer thing is pitching. We are lucky some of our young pitchers are doing well because it certainly seems like the longer pitchers are here, the worse they are doing.
We have no use for common sense around here.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Man you're talking about pre-COVID sh*t. 2016-2019 is ancient history. That's literally Nate Lowe, Brent Rooker, Jake Mangum era.

I think COVID recrootin via the internet may be playing a part. The 2021 class, which was severely hampered by COVID, is the one that seems to be killing us. Essentially the guys who showed up last year as freshmen. And really even the 2020 class too (Smith, Carmouche, Tepper, Fristoe). Those were the 'big 4' and we expected big things from them and have not gotten much.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
You’ve said it already, but the pitching class last year was just a complete dud. For starters, we didn’t take enough. Only signed I believe 6 or 7 and lost a few to pro ball and one guy signed but never even showed up. Walling was a bust. Walker was a guy everyone wanted who was a bust. Kohn - who the 17 knows, but he looked the part last year for a freshmen. You can’t just hit on a single pitcher from a whole signing class though. Its OK if you miss on evaluations on even as much as 50% of the time. That’s probably the average for most programs considering that you are offering these kids in 8th / 9th grade before they are anywhere close to finished products. But you can’t miss on damn near all of them in a class.

To Foxhall’s credit, the 2022 class seems much better. I think Tepper probably should have stayed and would likely be improved if he did. Cade may have some health issues, not fully ready to throw him under the bus yet. He was a better pitcher in 2022 than he was in 2021, so some development was happening there regardless of who gets credit for it.
Agree with everything you just said, but I feel like people keep gravitating to the '22 class because it was such an absolute bust, and they're forgetting that '21 has also been also a monstrous whiff.

Dylan Carmouche
Cade Smith - Ok, jury's still slightly out on him
Parker Stinnett (JC)
Mike Tepper
Jackson Fristoe
Cam Tullar (JC)
Preston Johnson (JC) - well, we got some good moments from him

That's two classes in a row that were complete disasters, and whether you want to blame that on evaluations, development, or both, that's just awful. I'm very optimistic about some of our younger guys this year, but I also do not have any trust in them being under Foxhall's tutelage

Reactions: thekimmer
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login