4th of July - Grilling, Smoking, & Drinking Thread

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Some might say that starting a thread like this two weeks in advance is a tad premature, but I say hogwash. People that wait until the Wednesday before to start thinking through their 4th of July eating plans are the ones that end up with hot dogs on the grill and High Noons from their neighbor’s cooler. These things have to be carefully laid out ahead of time.

Since I shamefully have to admit that mcdawg was right, and I have been pitifully slacking on the SixPack cooking threads this year, we’re gonna do it right for the 4th. Here’s the breakdown:

-Post whatever the hell you want over the next two weeks about your 4th of July plans and favorite recipes, but no posts will be eligible for official judging til Sat, July 1st.
-Entries will be judged based on a combination of meats and sides
-Entry window ends evening of July 4th

So this begs the question… how will the judging work? Well, we’re going to keep it really simple since my brain can’t handle anything too complicated after a weekend like this, but for the first time, we will have official SixPack judges, and message board votes won’t be a part of it. With this in mind, I need some judges, so give me a shout during the next 7-10 days if you’d like to help.

Lastly, we’ve had some fun giveaways in the past, but I thought that it was time for something more permanent this time. This year, our champion’s name will be immortalized for all to witness any time a hot dog cooking neighbor is in his presence.

Good luck, and let’s have some fun

IMG_1147.jpeg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Quick bump because

A) Still looking for some judge volunteers. And trust me, it’ll be a simple 2-3 minute task

B) I’m going to be giving brisket another go, and I need some tips. I’ve done it 3 times, all that followed “fool proof” methods, and all of them turned out dry and tough. Tell me how to not screw it up

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Quick bump because

A) Still looking for some judge volunteers. And trust me, it’ll be a simple 2-3 minute task

B) I’m going to be giving brisket another go, and I need some tips. I’ve done it 3 times, all that followed “fool proof” methods, and all of them turned out dry and tough. Tell me how to not screw it up
A) I'll help out as long as I can be arbitrary and capricious.
B) What temp did you do your brisket? So many folks preach 225-250, but my best ones have been more like 275-300.

Reactions: Seinfeld

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Grilled flathead catfish,small elk ribeyes, grilled veggies, salad, water with lemon. Sigh,,,, diet n ****.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Doing a shrimp, sausage, (Conecuh) potatoes and corn boil on Sunday.
Some people may call that a low country boil, I call it a shrimp boil.
Low and slow smoked baby back ribs, marinated and basted in Wickers with Rendevous dry rub on Monday.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
A) I'll help out as long as I can be arbitrary and capricious.
B) What temp did you do your brisket? So many folks preach 225-250, but my best ones have been more like 275-300.
Interesting, I’m gonna say I’ve always done mine in the 225-235 zone.

If I’m being honest, I think at least half of my problem has been the cut of meat itself, but I’m not letting that hold me back this year. I’m getting the full packer from my local butcher, and the current plan is to follow the RecTec method. 235 for 8-10 hrs til it hits 165, wrap and cook til about 205 or when the probe slides like butter, rest for 1-2 hrs before slicing

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
I’ll be in Breckenridge, hoping for cool weather, not cooking. But good luck to you guys. I’m dying with the heat in Houston right now.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

If I’m being honest, I think at least half of my problem has been the cut of meat itself, but I’m not letting that hold me back this year. I’m getting the full packer from my local butcher, and the current plan is to follow the RecTec method. 235 for 8-10 hrs til it hits 165, wrap and cook til about 205 or when the probe slides like butter, rest for 1-2 hrs before slicing
I’ve learned over the years that pork is pork but when it come to beef prime is where it’s at. With choice you have a 50/50 chance to get a good piece of meat but if you want to remove any chance buy prime.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I’m doing either beef or pork ribs. Don’t know if it will be the 4th or the weekend before. Baked beans will be the side.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The countdown is ticking, so last call for judging volunteers.

I’m going to put a brisket and pork butt on the smoker Friday night to serve over the weekend, and then I think I’m doing chicken quarters Monday. A part of me wants to pull out the ol’ turkey frier to do a fish fry, but man is fried fish time sensitive, and my crew tends to struggle with a tight eating schedule.

Other than that, a new pickle ball set is on the way from Amazon, so I guess I’m officially old.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I was on the FFA state championship tool identification team circa 1979/1980, does that qualify me?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

That’s how I do it and it always comes out great. People will swear by peach paper to keep the bark, but foil makes it juicier throughout to me. I’m probably going to do burnt ends again since they were unbelievable last time.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
That’s how I do it and it always comes out great. People will swear by peach paper to keep the bark, but foil makes it juicier throughout to me. I’m probably going to do burnt ends again since they were unbelievable last time.
I’m a butcher paper guy but I’ll occasionally wrap in foil simply because it’s cleaner handling it while it’s resting. I haven’t cooked a brisket in a while, it may be time.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

My piece of advice is to not do it for 8-10 hours, but cook it until you get the bark and color you want. Could be 8 hours. Could be 12. Hell, you can cook it to 180 before you wrap if you’re waiting on color. Also, if you want a super rich brisket, render the fat you trim from it into tallow. Pour a little on before you wrap with butcher paper, then drizzle over before slicing.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I started making homemade buns recently. Caught a badly shaped prime brisket not too long ago that was marked way down. Ground the entire thing up. Homemade buns, brisket smash burgers, some fresh yard maters…

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

macdaddydawg

Sep 29, 2022
For the last 10 years, I have cooked for a big event the 1st Sat in July up in Leake County. Placed my meat order this morning, 6 butts, 30 racks of BB, 40 lbs of leg quarters and 25 lbs of Country Pleasin'.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I started making homemade buns recently. Caught a badly shaped prime brisket not too long ago that was marked way down. Ground the entire thing up. Homemade buns, brisket smash burgers, some fresh yard maters…
Ground brisket is about as good a burger as you can cook. The local Sams has been marking down ground Wagyu cheaper than 80/20 when it gets close to expiration. I buy it all and freeze it.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Ground brisket is about as good a burger as you can cook. The local Sams has been marking down ground Wagyu cheaper than 80/20 when it gets close to expiration. I buy it all and freeze it.
Absolutely. And if you have a grinder, a prime brisket ground up is cheaper than any 80/20 you can find anywhere per pound. I had some family over yesterday and made them and several people said it was the best tasting burgers they’ve ever had.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I won’t be entering the contest as we will be out of town for the fourth, but I’m thinking about taking a big pan of my aunt’s dirty rice recipe (some folks in south LA where my aunt is from call it rice dressing) to Tuscaloosa with us this weekend. If they have a grill, I may run to the store and get some ribs to put on. Happy fourth, guys and girls.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login