5-7 in year 3 of Leach

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
We might win a game I don't expect us to but I doubt it. This is supposed to be Leach's best team. Arky is better than last year and Ole Miss looks fine. Ole Miss had the better hire and is building a better program. Even our prior lead over Ole Miss in baseball is gone. This was supposed to be Leach's best group of receivers, but it isn't because none are named Polk. They had more drops yesterday than Polk had last year. Rogers is fine in Leach's system if not pressured. Pressure him and play tight on our receivers and he's mediocre. He's a backup at LSU. Not sure how good the defense is, it's fine against the run, but those guys were exhausted by the 4th quarter. Our pass defense is nothing special. We couldn't pressure LSU's QB with their weak o-line. Our offense did the defense no favors by not converting only 4 third downs.

I don't think in the future we'll face weaker LSU teams than the last three and we won only one of them. Likely not gonna go to any more away games and might make only one home game. Might. Don't want to pay and spend all that time being disappointed. Hanging out pre-game is fun, though.

No one's taking Leach from us nor do I think anyone is stealing Arnett. Will this team get better over the next two years? How much hope and misplaced optimism am I supposed to have? I don't expect us to have any of those good teams and seasons that Jackie and Mullen gave us. The SEC and college football have changed and not in a way that favors schools like State.

Kenny.sixpack

Aug 23, 2021
If LSU would have had a QB that could actually pass the ball accurately it would have been a blowout.

How many balls did our receivers drop over the middle? In one series there were three drops in a row. If Rogers is not perfect in a game, someone has to step up and make plays. I haven't seen who that player or players are. Unfortunately I think this team was overhyped and it got our expectations higher than they should be (we should all know that by now).

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Arkansas is not better than they were last year. They had to have a comeback to beat Missouri state last night and they can’t throw the ball this year after losing Burkes

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I don’t disagree with your post. I’d like to hear what makes Ole Miss assumed to fair better than us in this new change of sec and college football? Do they have more money to spend? Better commitment from alumni and leadership?

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Ole Miss has more money

a good atmosphere, better coach, aggressive young coach and one with a personality that appeals to young players judging by their higher recruiting rankings. Leach might appeal to some QB who likes his system. State has limitations. Maybe we'll overcome them. Or maybe we'll have to settle with Vandy-like seasons because SEC expansion includes adding no teams with State's limitations, but teams with huge recruiting budgets, fan bases and millions and millions more to spend on coaches, facilities and NILs.

I don’t disagree with your post. I’d like to hear what makes Ole Miss assumed to fair better than us in this new change of sec and college football? Do they have more money to spend? Better commitment from alumni and leadership?

hogfan14

Mar 28, 2013
Arkansas is not better than they were last year. They had to have a comeback to beat Missouri state last night and they can’t throw the ball this year after losing Burkes

KJ Jefferson is completing 71% of his passes. Arkansas just hasn’t thrown the ball a lot but it’s not been bad when they have aired it out.

The secondary is horrible though. Everywhere else is pretty solid but giving up a ton of passing yards makes it tough to win in the SEC every week.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Keith Carter has really surprised people with his ability to raise money and run the Athletic Department at Ole Miss. He has really worked to engage the fanbase, not only the big donors but average fan as well. Plus you have Kiffin that has an exciting offense when it is working. Not to mention, Ole Miss actually has a marketing department that is building their brand.
Cohen nor Leach make me want to give money to MSU Athletics. My daughter went to an Ole Miss baseball game this Spring with one of her friends and she said Carter made his way through the stands thanking the fans for coming. She said he even came up to her and she told him she was a MSU fan and he told her “I still appreciate you coming to the game”. You won’t see Cohen, who is just like his mentor LT do that.

Last edited:

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Should’ve told keenum before he hired a baseball coach to run an SEC athletic department

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Last night sucked, but some of y'all are ready to leave the island and burn the boats behind you. I get the knee jerk reaction, but those little numbers next to our next few opponents' names don't mean a lot after week 3.

Who has Ole Miss beaten? Troy? Central Arkansas? Georgia Tech? Which one of those performances have you worried?

How about Arkansas? Cincinnati? South Carolina? A 4th quarter comeback win against Missouri State?

Maybe Kentucky? Miami Ohio? Youngstown State? A Florida team that needed a botched FG hold to beat South Florida?

Alabama is Alabama, but who did they beat? Utah State? Louisiana Monroe? Maybe Texas and I'm still not convinced that Texas is that good.

I think Georgia is the only one with a real quality win (Oregon) on the resume and even Oregon is suspect.

And even IF our future opponents beat somebody that you look at and say "wow, that's a quality win", college football is a fickle mistress.

Last year, State beat A&M the week before A&M beat to Alabama the week before Alabama ran State off the field.

State beat NC State the week before NC State beat Clemson.

I'm not saying we're going to win X amount of games, but some of yall are acting like we're never gonna win again.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
"We're never gonna win again"**************************************************

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
"We're never gonna win again"**************************************************

I'm surprised I haven't read "Bowling Green looked pretty sharp in their loss to Eastern Kentucky."

Actually, now that I've typed that, I think I've already seen somebody mention their win over Marshall, so I guess we should fear the Falcons too.

I mean for that matter, East Tennessee State beat the Mars Hill Mountain Lions by about 40 to open the season. Might as well pack it in that week. I would say our special teams are going to keep them in it by muffing every punt that game, but we all know that Arnett is going to make sure they never have to punt, so at least that takes AW out of the equation. Oh well... Maybe we can squeak out a win against SELA next year***

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Like I said in another thread this morning, it’s the typical reaction after dropping a game they should have won. Everyone looks at the schedule and starts trying to quantify every team and say “We can’t win but 3 more.” Every week and every game is different.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I predict 3 more wins. I may be off by 1. Whenever we get a new coach, and I'm not suggesting firing Leach, maybe we need some honesty from the AD. "We hired "insert name" to bring to State 6-7 wins each year to get us to a minor bowl game."

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
a good atmosphere, better coach, aggressive young coach and one with a personality that appeals to young players judging by their higher recruiting rankings. Leach might appeal to some QB who likes his system. State has limitations. Maybe we'll overcome them. Or maybe we'll have to settle with Vandy-like seasons because SEC expansion includes adding no teams with State's limitations, but teams with huge recruiting budgets, fan bases and millions and millions more to spend on coaches, facilities and NILs.

But if we expect better and demand better we will just get it with another coach. Seems like I've heard this back in 1986, 1990, 2003, 2008, and 2018.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Like I said in another thread this morning, it’s the typical reaction after dropping a game they should have won. Everyone looks at the schedule and starts trying to quantify every team and say “We can’t win but 3 more.” Every week and every game is different.

Yep! Next week, whoever loses between Arkansas and Texas A&M will become an automatic win and whoever wins will hang 50 on us.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
We might win a game I don't expect us to but I doubt it. This is supposed to be Leach's best team. Arky is better than last year and Ole Miss looks fine. Ole Miss had the better hire and is building a better program. Even our prior lead over Ole Miss in baseball is gone. This was supposed to be Leach's best group of receivers, but it isn't because none are named Polk. They had more drops yesterday than Polk had last year. Rogers is fine in Leach's system if not pressured. Pressure him and play tight on our receivers and he's mediocre. He's a backup at LSU. Not sure how good the defense is, it's fine against the run, but those guys were exhausted by the 4th quarter. Our pass defense is nothing special. We couldn't pressure LSU's QB with their weak o-line. Our offense did the defense no favors by not converting only 4 third downs.

I don't think in the future we'll face weaker LSU teams than the last three and we won only one of them. Likely not gonna go to any more away games and might make only one home game. Might. Don't want to pay and spend all that time being disappointed. Hanging out pre-game is fun, though.

No one's taking Leach from us nor do I think anyone is stealing Arnett. Will this team get better over the next two years? How much hope and misplaced optimism am I supposed to have? I don't expect us to have any of those good teams and seasons that Jackie and Mullen gave us. The SEC and college football have changed and not in a way that favors schools like State.

Not bad takes overall but Mullen averaged a losing conference record and broke out once or twice. Leach may or may not break out but if his record stays steady it will end up about the same as Mullen’s.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I'm surprised I haven't read "Bowling Green looked pretty sharp in their loss to Eastern Kentucky."

Actually, now that I've typed that, I think I've already seen somebody mention their win over Marshall, so I guess we should fear the Falcons too.

I mean for that matter, East Tennessee State beat the Mars Hill Mountain Lions by about 40 to open the season. Might as well pack it in that week. I would say our special teams are going to keep them in it by muffing every punt that game, but we all know that Arnett is going to make sure they never have to punt, so at least that takes AW out of the equation. Oh well... Maybe we can squeak out a win against SELA next year***

Ok I feel better now.

was21

May 29, 2007
One thing's for certain. Whenever we lose a game that many thought we should have won, there will be a plethora of posts (usually long posts) that rationalize the loss so to make everything alright again....until the next loss when the rationalization recurs...again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login