5 year contract signed

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Good! Good! He is going to do well, if he holds the people we have and if he recruits the transfer portal. We need all kinds of help.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Unless things have changed, 4 is maximum showed according to State Law
The Athletic fundraising group doesn't have to follow the state law because they are private. Kiffin signed a 7 yr deal for the same reason

Reactions: woozman

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The 4 year law is overrated anyway. You would just up the buyout amount if you are a coach stuck in a 4 year deal. No one is looking for a guarantee to coach. They are looking for a guarantee of money.

Reactions: patdog

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
The legislature has to get its filthy hands on everything. Never to give you new rights, only to take them away. Pretty soon there won’t be many left.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
And yet, Lane's actual contract is only for four years, as allowed by law.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...ole-miss-football-official-terms/69795792007/

Now, Lane might have some side deal with the booster club agreeing to pay him for another 3 years, but if that contract is contingent upon him being the head football coach, then it is unenforceable. And, it would be discoverable via FOIA request.

I don't think the 4 year limit should apply to certain categories of contracts, but it does. You can't have some private group contracting with, say. A public service commissioner to keep him on the job.

Last edited:

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Now, Lane might have some side deal with the booster club agreeing to pay him for another 3 years, but if that contract is contingent upon him being the head football coach, then it is unenforceable. And, it would be discoverable via FOIA request.
If the school isn’t a party to the coach’s private contract with the booster club, then the contract is not a public record.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
And yet, Lane's actual contract is only for four years, as allowed by law.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...ole-miss-football-official-terms/69795792007/

I don't think the 4 year limit should apply to certain categories of contracts, but it does. You can't have some private group contracting with, say. A public service commissioner to keep him on the job.
The deal Lebby agreed on 4 +1 is same as Mullen, JoMo, Leach, Lane, etc all agreed too

truth be told, the 4 year state deal has probably saved both us and UM from doing stupid things

Reactions: patdog

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
If the school isn’t a party to the coach’s private contract with the booster club, then the contract is not a public record.
It is a public record. The Head Coach is a State Employee, and his business records are public records. He can have private contracts that are based on his NIL that don't specifically require him to be a state employee, but any contract related to his employment is public.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The deal Lebby agreed on 4 +1 is same as Mullen, JoMo, Leach, Lane, etc all agreed too

truth be told, the 4 year state deal has probably saved both us and UM from doing stupid things
Okay, I never heard of Mullen, JoMo, or Leach signing such deals. Explain to me how that works, particularly since JoMo got fired.

And why is there a 4 year contract signed with the school?

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
It is a public record. The Head Coach is a State Employee, and his business records are public records. He can have private contracts that are based on his NIL that don't specifically require him to be a state employee, but any contract related to his employment is public.
If it is a public record, then why don’t reporters publish exact buyout numbers and details as soon as a contract is signed? They’d be racing to upload it to scribd.

There are 2 contracts - one with the school, max of 4 years, and one with the booster club, which includes the bulk of the salary. The first is a public record under the MPRA. The second is not. Also, FOIA is irrelevant.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
But the contract with the school reports the entire salary, including the Bulldog club portion. So how would some other contract be structured to say the Bulldog Club agrees to finance additional years of his employment contract?

I mean that IS an employment contract at that point. Templeton tried to guarantee Croom a rolling extension on his contract and was slapped down.

I guess it hasn't been litigated, but I believe any agreement to employee a coach beyond 4 years in unenforceable. I know if I was Kiffin's agent and he wanted to leave UMiss, I would argue his buyout can only be based on 4 years' salary and not the full 7 or whatever. Same argument should UMiss fire him.

And the reason they don't provide full contracts to the public is confidentiality. They should provide a redacted version, though.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

Yes it has, LT would have given Croom a lifetime contract if he had the ability.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login