$55 million a year for F-ing Trevor Lawrence

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Team friendly deal though. Huge signing bonus that they’ll be able to kick down the road a while and help aleave the cap number Also his first extension.. not second.. which plays a part because they’ll be able to re-extend at a good spot and do the same thing cap wise.

it’s very similar to what Dallas was trying to do with Dak… but dak and Dallas couldn’t agree on that number to get him extended. So here we are

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Guess he’s not worried about what the rest of us scum bags need to live comfortably
in …….( pick a state, any state)

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Tony Khan with another brilliant personnel move.***

Must have saved a fortune on that CM Punk buyout.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Team friendly deal though. Huge signing bonus that they’ll be able to kick down the road a while and help aleave the cap number Also his first extension.. not second.. which plays a part because they’ll be able to re-extend at a good spot and do the same thing cap wise.

it’s very similar to what Dallas was trying to do with Dak… but dak and Dallas couldn’t agree on that number to get him extended. So here we are
Seriously? You believe Jerry did right and Dak messed it up?

Reactions: Double Dawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Seriously? You believe Jerry did right and Dak messed it up?
I don’t think either side messed up.

Jerry tried to sign Dak long term. Dak wanted the shorter contract. He got it. Now here we are.

dak wants a big huge extension. Jerry isn’t willing to give that at this point…. And I personally think it’s a bad idea to do that, unless it’s team friendly.

people here think Jerry messed up by not giving Dak exactly what he wanted 6 years ago… i don’t….

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Now that Lawrence is taken care of the next way overpaid QB will be Tua…

If you don’t have a good QB you stand no shot at winning in the NFL, so I understand these teams feeling the need to pay these QBs. At least since I’ve been old enough to keep up with football (mid 90’s to now) only Brady and Mahomes seem to be able to win no matter how talented the supporting cast is. Even Josh Allen was mediocre to good until Diggs showed up in Buffalo. Guys like Lawrence and Tua have put up decent numbers and are winning enough games to compete for playoffs and division titles, but neither are good enough to be able to win without really solid talent around them.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Eh... Dak's endorsements are exponentially more due to the Cowboys brand. Dak will make hand over fist more than TL. Dak is also part of the NFL brand image spend, so his NIL opportunity gets a big market lift from that. Dak currently has Nike Jordan, Beats, DirectTV, Campbell's, Blockchain.com, Oikos, Pepsi, New Era, and Citi Bank paying him for endorsements with his own personal brand NIL.

Jacksonville and TL are basically marketing to long haired Florida Man, worm bait and shiny rims.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Now that Lawrence is taken care of the next way overpaid QB will be Tua…

If you don’t have a good QB you stand no shot at winning in the NFL, so I understand these teams feeling the need to pay these QBs. At least since I’ve been old enough to keep up with football (mid 90’s to now) only Brady and Mahomes seem to be able to win no matter how talented the supporting cast is. Even Josh Allen was mediocre to good until Diggs showed up in Buffalo. Guys like Lawrence and Tua have put up decent numbers and are winning enough games to compete for playoffs and division titles, but neither are good enough to be able to win without really solid talent around them.
But is he a “good QB”? He’s certainly talented, and has showed flashes at times, but the jury is still very much out on him.

3-year Passer Rating finishes: 29, 9, 21
3-year QBR finishes: 28, 17, 18

I think there’s an awful lot of lingering hype around Lawrence from the pre-draft opinions on him that he has yet to deliver on in reality. There’s no evidence that he’s not just another Baker Mayfield.

Of course, Jacksonville was going to have to pay to keep him. And it could be argued very easily that they were wise to lock him up for 5 more years at the current franchise QB rate while he still has 2 years left on his rookie deal….as opposed to waiting until the 11th hour and having to pay way more (like some people we know). But the dude straight up hasn’t done anything. If he doesn’t progress a lot, its gonna be a bad marriage for a long time in Jacksonville.

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
But is he a “good QB”? He’s certainly talented, and has showed flashes at times, but the jury is still very much out on him.

I think there’s an awful lot of lingering hype around Lawrence from the pre-draft opinions on him that he has yet to deliver on in reality. There’s no evidence that he’s not just another Baker Mayfield.

Of course, Jacksonville was going to have to pay to keep him. And it could be argued very easily that they were wise to lock him up for 5 more years at the current franchise QB rate while he still has 2 years left on his rookie deal….as opposed to waiting until the 11th hour and having to pay way more (like some people we know). But the dude straight up hasn’t done anything. If he doesn’t progress a lot, its gonna be a bad marriage for a long time in Jacksonville.
I don’t disagree with any of that

Reactions: Perd Hapley

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

He's not a top-half qb, but the market is so skewed. Schefter was saying that they are better paying him now instead of when he has them over the barrel (regardless of what you think of his talent). In 2 years, his salary will look like a middle-of-road contract.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
qb is more than numbers. Throw year 1 out of the window bc urban Meyer and coaching debacle.

in 4 seasons Jax has gone from 1-15 to 9-8 with him under center. They got their quicker than most thought. The entire organization is trending upward and they have a roster that is now set up to win.

cant always measure a qb on paper. jac would have been fools not to sign him, and unlikely someone we know, his contract is actually very team friendly. It’s hard to see him getting worse and even if he stays the same they can build a roster around him to sustain what’s happening now…. But it’s likely he could take a huge step forward. Which is very reasonable to expect considering his play to this point

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He was also having a top 5 type season prior to the last 4 games of the year. I realize they count and you can’t throw them out the window.. but take those 4 games out and the stats look very different

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Also, it should be noted for those of us not aware, Dak has not yet signed his contract extension. The longer the Cowboys wait, the more the price will go up. Basically every starting QB signed in the off season will be the latest "highest paid ever".

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
qb is more than numbers. Throw year 1 out of the window bc urban Meyer and coaching debacle.

in 4 seasons Jax has gone from 1-15 to 9-8 with him under center. They got their quicker than most thought. The entire organization is trending upward and they have a roster that is now set up to win.

cant always measure a qb on paper. jac would have been fools not to sign him, and unlikely someone we know, his contract is actually very team friendly. It’s hard to see him getting worse and even if he stays the same they can build a roster around him to sustain what’s happening now…. But it’s likely he could take a huge step forward. Which is very reasonable to expect considering his play to this point

Good Lord….🤦‍♂️

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He was also having a top 5 type season prior to the last 4 games of the year. I realize they count and you can’t throw them out the window.. but take those 4 games out and the stats look very different
The last 4 games of what year??? Last year?

Because let me tell you….as someone who drafted him as my QB1 everywhere in fantasy last season, that was damn sure not the case.

He was pretty awful….start to finish.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Because let me tell you….as someone who drafted him as my QB1 everywhere in fantasy last season, that was damn sure not the case.

Ok. Stats are there to look at.

using your qbr as the gold standard. He played above norm 10 his first 12 starts, very good in 2 of those, 70+ rating in 6

team was also 8-4

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Good Lord….🤦‍♂️
So 3 years into his career.., 1 being coached by no one… your ready to call this a dumb contract and him no better than baker mayfield?

he was drafted 1st overall. Meaning he went to the worst team in football… and in year 2 had them in the playoffs, and winning a game in the playoffs….. guess none of that had to do with his play right?

didn’t think you could worse at anything than a baseball scout but your starting to make me think otherwise…

Reactions: Anon1697564126

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's fascinating to me (not really) that we have a State fan here (not really) who has spent literally hundreds of words and I would guess dozens of posts arguing that the greatest ever Bulldog football player is not at all as good as basically every impartial NFL stat says he is.

And in that effort he has proven to be a true fan of Trevor Lawrence, Mike McCarthy, all Dallas WRs, hack bloggers who hate QBR, Zeke Elliot, the HOF Dallas O line, Kim Kardashian and Atilla the Hun. But he doesn't seem to think much of that Dak dude.

But the effort has been totally worth it because it has convinced what appears to be absolutely no one here (not really, some of the same ole cranks love it).

I can't wait for football season if this is what we get in June. True fans are gold.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ok. Stats are there to look at.

using your qbr as the gold standard. He played above norm 10 his first 12 starts, very good in 2 of those, 70+ rating in 6

team was also 8-4

LOL. So, QBR actually does matter now? Only when you think it supports your argument (even though it actually doesn’t)? This is too funny.

Ok. I’ll kick at the moved goal post again…

Trevor Lawrence had a QBR at or below 15 on 3 different occasions last year. 2 of those 3 times in that first 12 games. Fif-17ing-teen. That’s not mediocre. That’s not bad. That’s not awful. It’s actually putrid. It’s “I singlehandedly lost this game by myself” level of inadequacy.

You also don’t get to throw out an entire 25% of the season, either. Those games happened, too. Plus the 2 I mentioned above.

The actual truth as told by QBR - he had 3 really good games, and 3 pretty good games….and was mediocre to awful in the other 10 games. And he had 3 games where he was so bad that he gave his team absolutely no chance no matter how well they played. He was not a good NFL QB, or even an average one for over 60% of the season. And he was downright putrid for 20% of the season.

Just to give you a further deep dive, he only had one game all season where he threw 3 TD passes, and he threw 3 picks in that same game. There’s no chance that he was “Top 5” in anything good over those first 12 games.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
LOL. So, QBR actually does matter now? Only when you think it supports your argument (even though it actually doesn’t)? This is too funny.

Ok. I’ll kick at the moved goal post again…

Trevor Lawrence had a QBR at or below 15 on 3 different occasions last year. 2 of those 3 times in that first 12 games. Fif-17ing-teen. That’s not mediocre. That’s not bad. That’s not awful. It’s actually putrid. It’s “I singlehandedly lost this game by myself” level of inadequacy.

You also don’t get to throw out an entire 25% of the season, either. Those games happened, too. Plus the 2 I mentioned above.

The actual truth as told by QBR - he had 3 really good games, and 3 pretty good games….and was mediocre to awful in the other 10 games. And he had 3 games where he was so bad that he gave his team absolutely no chance no matter how well they played. He was not a good NFL QB, or even an average one for over 60% of the season. And he was downright putrid for 20% of the season.

Just to give you a further deep dive, he only had one game all season where he threw 3 TD passes, and he threw 3 picks in that same game. There’s no chance that he was “Top 5” in anything good over those first 12 games.
Nah it doesn’t matter. I was just using the terms you find as the gold standard. He was 8-4, and playing good football. Far from terrible start to finish like you claim.

you and your stats. Boy talking about moving goal posts.

Claiming 50 to be average, and 75 to be great, and I’ll even do less than 25 awful.

He had 1 games below 50 and above 25
He had 3 games where he was below 25
He had 8 games between 50-75
He had 4 games 75 or better

so 3 awful games
1 below average game
8 games average to above average
4 elite games

I give you credit, you try like hell to spin stats the way you want them too… even when they hit you square in the face. Like saying all Hines homers came against rights

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Think I finally figured it out… your analysis things like it’s fantasy football not real football….. no freaking wonder… totally DA

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It's fascinating to me (not really) that we have a State fan here (not really) who has spent literally hundreds of words and I would guess dozens of posts arguing that the greatest ever Bulldog football player is not at all as good as basically every impartial NFL stat says he is.

And in that effort he has proven to be a true fan of Trevor Lawrence, Mike McCarthy, all Dallas WRs, hack bloggers who hate QBR, Zeke Elliot, the HOF Dallas O line, Kim Kardashian and Atilla the Hun. But he doesn't seem to think much of that Dak dude.

But the effort has been totally worth it because it has convinced what appears to be absolutely no one here (not really, some of the same ole cranks love it).

I can't wait for football season if this is what we get in June. True fans are gold.
I know you love me. You love me some much you tag me in threads I have nothing to do with… then claim winning championship belts on message boards after a post…. Glad your around

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Nah it doesn’t matter. I was just using the terms you find as the gold standard. He was 8-4, and playing good football. Far from terrible start to finish like you claim.

you and your stats. Boy talking about moving goal posts.

Claiming 50 to be average, and 75 to be great, and I’ll even do less than 25 awful.

He had 1 games below 50 and above 25
He had 3 games where he was below 25
He had 8 games between 50-75
He had 4 games 75 or better

so 3 awful games
1 below average game
8 games average to above average
4 elite games

I give you credit, you try like hell to spin stats the way you want them too… even when they hit you square in the face. Like saying all Hines homers came against rights
Blah blah blah.

“He was having a Top 5 type season before the last 4 games”.

You actually said this. Defend it. What was he “Top 5” in for those first 12 games?

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t think either side messed up.

Jerry tried to sign Dak long term. Dak wanted the shorter contract. He got it. Now here we are.

dak wants a big huge extension. Jerry isn’t willing to give that at this point…. And I personally think it’s a bad idea to do that, unless it’s team friendly.

people here think Jerry messed up by not giving Dak exactly what he wanted 6 years ago… i don’t….
Jerry waited on Dak to prove himself for 4 years before giving him a deal. He should have gave him a contract before year 3 but he liked that rookie deal paying him $600k for his final year.

Jerry then tried to lowball him since he was a 4th round pick but Dak bet on himself and won. Jerry is constantly making **** decisions.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He's not a top-half qb, but the market is so skewed. Schefter was saying that they are better paying him now instead of when he has them over the barrel (regardless of what you think of his talent). In 2 years, his salary will look like a middle-of-road contract.
They’d probably be better off letting walk after his rookie contract expires & drafting another QB and starting over. They just bought themselves several more years of mediocrity.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
They’d probably be better off letting walk after his rookie contract expires & drafting another QB and starting over. They just bought themselves several more years of mediocrity.
I think your chances of drafting someone better is less likely than drafting someone worse. Especially for that organization. I don't think there is a "good" option.

Reactions: Seinfeld and patdog

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
he was drafted 1st overall.
And that's the issue. Dak never gets credit for anything he does because he was a 4th round pick. Yet, we keep getting told how amazing all these 1st round guys are, especially the ones who never prove anything.

There's a reason for that. It's because no organization wants to admit how badly they misread the draft and how much pure guesswork goes into it.

Lawrence may end up being a great QB in the league, but he sure hasn't shown it so far.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
And that's the issue. Dak never gets credit for anything he does because he was a 4th round pick. Yet, we keep getting told how amazing all these 1st round guys are, especially the ones who never prove anything.

There's a reason for that. It's because no organization wants to admit how badly they misread the draft and how much pure guesswork goes into it.

Lawrence may end up being a great QB in the league, but he sure hasn't shown it so far.
He was very much trending upward until last 4 games of last season.

he also turned a 1-15 team around and lead them to the playoffs and a playoff win in year 2.

no one in Jacksonville thinks this is a bad deal. Way more think he’s likely to take a big step forward than be a bust. And I agree with this

also think there are less and less of the people not admitting they didn’t do good. Look what the jets did, look what Pitt did, look what Chicago did. They all moved on pretty quick once they realize it’s not there. Can even throw San Fran and lance into that mix

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think your chances of drafting someone better is less likely than drafting someone worse. Especially for that organization. I don't think there is a "good" option.
And not only are they worse. They’re much, much worse. Dak was a 4th rounder, and if you gave your average GM the #15 pick every year for the next decade, the chances of them landing someone better or even as good as Dak are maybe 1 in 10

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
And not only are they worse. They’re much, much worse. Dak was a 4th rounder, and if you gave your average GM the #15 pick every year for the next decade, the chances of them landing someone better or even as good as Dak are maybe 1 in 10
I'd take the under.

Reactions: Seinfeld

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Brock purdy begs to differ

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Brock purdy begs to differ
As a Niners fan, I don't think Purdy is that much better than Lawrence. Purdy is an amazing system that protects him.

Also, counting on getting a starting QB in the late round is impossible. A Tom Brady type pick happens once an eon. You can't plan around it.

Reactions: blacklistedbully

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
As a Niners fan, I don't think Purdy is that much better than Lawrence. Purdy is an amazing system that protects him.

Also, counting on getting a starting QB in the late round is impossible. A Tom Brady type pick happens once an eon. You can't plan around it.
To give purdy no credit for the success isn’t fair. Lots of qbs haven’t had the success with talent around them. And give both purdy and the niners credit for mastering a system that is makes them successful.

not going down this road all week, but I’ve said and will say again. The majority of the league would not trade their qb situation for dak and what he would bring to the table money wise and play wise. San Fran is one of those, Jacksonville is another

And the point was made give someone the 15th pick in the league and let them find a qb. There have been qbs found in all rounds past pick 15. Purdy is one. Brady is another, so is Patrick mahomes, Jalen hurts. It’s not impossible

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
To give purdy no credit for the success isn’t fair. Lots of qbs haven’t had the success with talent around them. And give both purdy and the niners credit for mastering a system that is makes them successful.

not going down this road all week, but I’ve said and will say again. The majority of the league would not trade their qb situation for dak and what he would bring to the table money wise and play wise. San Fran is one of those, Jacksonville is another

And the point was made give someone the 15th pick in the league and let them find a qb. There have been qbs found in all rounds past pick 15. Purdy is one. Brady is another, so is Patrick mahomes, Jalen hurts. It’s not impossible
What you are saying is like Mississippi State recruiting "diamonds in the rough" and trying to win a national championship doing it. It's impossible.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What you are saying is like Mississippi State recruiting "diamonds in the rough" and trying to win a national championship doing it. It's impossible.
I get what you’re saying. Waiting until the 7th round to get a quarterback or anyone in the nfl isn’t a smart strategy.

But also saying you can’t get or find a good quarterback past a certain pick really isn’t true either.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login