58 years ago today

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
Olelion checked in at Shunk Hall as a Penn State freshman to begin one week of orientation. He opted not to wear the beanie at any time. Classes began on Oct. 3. My first home football game attended was against Boston College on Oct. 8. Paterno was in his first year as head coach leading the team to 5-5 record. That record was not as bad as it seems. The five losses were:
Michigan St. (9-0-1)
Army (8-2)
UCLA (9-1)
Syracuse (8-3)
Georgia Tech (9-2)

The only close loss was against Syracuse, 10-12. Best player after Mike Reid went down was probably sophomore Bob Campbell.

Can any of you youngsters imagine beginning classes in October? We were on quarters back then. A couple of key lines in the Alma Mater read, "as we stood at boyhood's gate" and "thou diidst mold us dear old state, into men, into men". Attire at football games was typically coat and tie and smart outfits for the young ladies

Last edited:

Ceasar

Oct 7, 2021
Olelion checked in at Shunk Hall as a Penn State freshman to begin one week of orientation. He opted not to wear the beanie at any time. Classes began on Octo. 3. My first home football game attended was against Boston College on Oct. 8. Paterno was in his first year as head coach leading the team to 5-5 record. That record was not as bad as it seems. The five losses were:
Michigan St. (9-0-1)
Army (8-2)
UCLA (9-1)
Syracuse (8-3)
Georgia Tech (9-2)

The only close loss was against Syracuse, 10-12. Best player after Mike Reid went down was probably sophomore Bob Campbell.

Can any of you youngsters imagine beginning classes in October? We were on quarters back then. A couple of key lines in the Alma Mater read, "as we stood at boyhood's gate" and "thou diidst mold us dear old state, into men, into men". Attire at football games was typically coat and tie and smart outfits for the young ladies
Great post olelion! I love the history lesson, both with respect to the 1966 season (what a great inter-sectional schedule!) and the academic structure.

Reactions: Bob78

Metal Mike

Oct 28, 2021
Like Olelion I started at PSU in Oct. 1966. That was the first year we had to pay for student football tickets. I think it was a $1 a game. Many of the guys took a date to the game yes dressed in coat and tie. All the games started at 1 PM so we had time to eat lunch in the dining hall and still get to the game. Freshmen were seated in the end zone. Upper classes could get better seats. There was a track around the football field and one end zone had bleachers. The first term ended with Christmas Break. A major problem with terms was we did not get out until mid-June and by then a lot of the summer jobs were taken. Classes with a hour and 15 min. to get more info.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Olelion checked in at Shunk Hall as a Penn State freshman to begin one week of orientation. He opted not to wear the beanie at any time. Classes began on Oct. 3. My first home football game attended was against Boston College on Oct. 8. Paterno was in his first year as head coach leading the team to 5-5 record. That record was not as bad as it seems. The five losses were:
Michigan St. (9-0-1)
Army (8-2)
UCLA (9-1)
Syracuse (8-3)
Georgia Tech (9-2)

Clifford cost us at least 3 wins that year!

BeerLion

Oct 12, 2021
My freshman year 1982 was the last year of the quarter system. But we started in Sept
I started fall of 1981 and we started in september as well

Loved it when it changed so I was not in the middle of the second quarter over Christmas break and did not have to worry about having school work

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Like Olelion I started at PSU in Oct. 1966. That was the first year we had to pay for student football tickets. I think it was a $1 a game. Many of the guys took a date to the game yes dressed in coat and tie. All the games started at 1 PM so we had time to eat lunch in the dining hall and still get to the game. Freshmen were seated in the end zone. Upper classes could get better seats. There was a track around the football field and one end zone had bleachers. The first term ended with Christmas Break. A major problem with terms was we did not get out until mid-June and by then a lot of the summer jobs were taken. Classes with a hour and 15 min. to get more info.
Yeah, you could walk around the track at halftime.

Ron1970

Nov 28, 2021
Michigan St. (9-0-1)
Army (8-2)
UCLA (9-1)
Syracuse (8-3)
Georgia Tech (9-2)

Penn State lost two of its first three games (by a total of three points) after I checked in a year later and then never lost a game until after I graduated three years later. While unfairly denied a national championship those years rank among the best in PSU football history.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Yes, I remember them telling me when I started in Fall of 83 that they had just switched to semesters
Yeah, we had quarters when I started. Which makes the reading list for my American Lit course all that much more amazing: The Sun Also Rises, Native Son, The Sound and the Fury, The 42nd Parallel (Dos Passos, incredible), Long Day’s Journey Into Night. Plus a boatload of poets. Lol, I took some speed the night before my final exam and power-read all night, got a B.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU87

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Don't remember that. There was a fence to climb over if you wanted to walk around the track.
Are you post ‘76 or ‘78? I won’t swear to it, the walking on the track thing.

Actually, it was the walk around the field at halftime with a friend that convinced me I needed to leave PSU. “What’s your plan? What are you going to do?” I had nothing. Good walk, good talk.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Michigan St. (9-0-1)
Army (8-2)
UCLA (9-1)
Syracuse (8-3)
Georgia Tech (9-2)

My older sister was there around that time, '68 or so, and she thought they had to dress up for the dinning hall as well.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
That was also the last year The Skeller cleaned the toilets!

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Ahh, memories. I remember the rationale behind not doing A+: "to preserve the integrity of the 4.0"

Not that I had to be concerned with getting many A+ grades:)
I earned an 88% in Thermodynamics (ME80 I think), and was thrilled with my B. When I found out I was getting an A I knew that for the rest of my life I would have this great brag "I got an A in thermo... ". Still brag on that to this day.

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
I started in 67. I had to turn the football program around after the poor job Olelion did. The good old days when you could have a female visitor in your room only on Sunday afternoons and only if the door was open enough that a book could fit between the door and a jamb. A lot of match books got used in that way. I spent fall and winter terms in Nittany Halls - the "temporary" WWII barracks. I used a spoon to tunnel into an adjoining room. The upside to Nittany was an RA in every other barracks, er - dorm, and my girlfriend could gain entry through the window as they were all only one story construction.

Bring Back Bar Bleu

Apr 28, 2022
OP would've been there when Betsy Aardsma was murdered in the Pattee Stacks. Just listened to a podcast on that. Late November of '69 during Thanksgiving Break.

Paterno was in the midst of his second consecutive undefeated season.