May 28, 2007
In no particular order:

The Oregon St. coach
The North Carolina coach
McDonnell (Louisville)
Cohen (Kentucky)
Steve Smith (Baylor)
Corbin (Vandy)

There's a good chance that some of these would turn us down, but I think they'd all have to at least consider listening to us. To put things in perspective, look at North Carolina. They have one of the best baseball programs in the country. They've been so successful, they're in the middle of a massive stadium expansion that will double their capacity. To 4,000.

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
unless you offered a lot more money. While yes they play before smaller crowds, UNC has plenty of money to pay him, theyve been a better program lately, and it's a lottery state now.... Plus, it's UNC. The basketball thing helps. And he has no ties to MSU to make him want to go there does he?

patdog

May 28, 2007
there are obviously a lot of reasons for him to stay where he is. But I think any coach in the country would have to at least stop and think about it for a minute if MSU were to contact them. We're easily in the top 5 in the nation in terms of fan support and facilities.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
would be interested. He just won back to back world series. He doesn't need us to achive that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
for Illinois either. I kind of doubt Casey would leave Oregon St., but we owe it to ourselves to at least contact him. If he can win a national title at Oregon St., he can probably win one most anywhere. And he might like the chance to enjoy some warm weather and the chance to coach in front of 3 times the crowds he currently does.

SoxFan343

Feb 25, 2008
Smith really wanted the LSU job, so there is reason to think he would jump at the chance to come to MSU. McDonnell is hard to read. I could see him coming, I could see him not coming. I honestly think Cohen will stay at UK because of what they have done for him (Similar to Bianco staying at Ole Miss instead of going to LSU). They're building him a new stadium, its a nationally competitive program now and he seems happy. I could be dead wrong though.

Looking at the LSU search, its obvious that guys like Corbin aren't going to consider you. This assumption that any coach in the country is going to have interest is crap. If every coach in the country had interest in you, it would have been the same with LSU. LSU would be a more attractive job than State. Its not going to be hard to find a good coach, but you aren't getting the coach of the two time defending national champs or the two time defending national runner up. Sorry.

Garrido left Fullerton for the same reasons George Horton did, they don't pay you. Vandy pays, UNC pays, Oregon State is paying Casey a ton. Fullerton was paying Horton $140,000 or the likes when he left for Oregon.

Mar 3, 2008
The Oregon St. coach
The North Carolina coach
McDonnell (Louisville)
Cohen (Kentucky)
Steve Smith (Baylor)
Corbin (Vandy)

good names. Like you said, they may or may not say no, but ther is no way in hell I would hire a baseball coach at MSU (or OM) right now without at least contacting those guys. All they can do is say no, and what have you lost? nothing.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Then a couple of years later left Illinois for Texas.

You know, if you're going to correct someone, you might want to at least be sure they're actually wrong.

BlindDawg

Jan 23, 2007
Doesn't Mike Fox, the UNC coach, have some kind of ties to UNC? I could be wrong about that, but I think that he does. I like the names though. I agree with what someone else said, we should at least contact them and at worst they'll say no.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
and he's 52. I think they are expanding their stadium big time or building a new one.

Paper Dog

Feb 20, 2008
I am not sure when Starkville became the ultimate destination for a college baseball coach

If I am wininng national championships in the Pac 10, I am sure not going to trade that in for the headaches of coaching in the SEC

MisissippiTimes

Nov 1, 2007
Patdog , I was asking a question , hence the question mark ... I did not know ... and Goat you are a so cool dude ... I wish I was that cool ...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login