6 Conference wins, 8 run-rule losses

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Beating a dead horse, I know, but it's not as if we are at least playing competently while getting beat. At this point how could anybody think we don't need a change at HC?

But here's another question. Coach Gautreau has been very good for us most years, has he not? Seems we were worried about losing him to an HC job not that long ago. Recognizing the new HC gets to choose, but would y'all hope to keep Coach G?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Beating a dead horse, I know, but it's not as if we are at least playing competently while getting beat. At this point how could anybody think we don't need a change at HC?

But here's another question. Coach Gautreau has been very good for us most years, has he not? Seems we were worried about losing him to an HC job not that long ago. Recognizing the new HC gets to choose, but would y'all hope to keep Coach G?
I know how you feel. Many of us feel the same way to various degrees. I checked out a few weeks back and don't have anything left. I will keep up with us but I'm in the crowd that wants to avoid any embarrassment that we would probably display in Hoover.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
No. I know our pitching sucks, but I keep seeing our hitters get out hit. I have watched many games this season where the opposition is swinging and making good contact while our hitters watch pitches, pat their chest after two strikes then don't make good contact.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
No. I know our pitching sucks, but I keep seeing our hitters get out hit. I have watched many games this season where the opposition is swinging and making good contact while our hitters watch pitches, pat their chest after two strikes then don't make good contact.
We have no concept of "hit it where it's pitched". Oppo is a dirty word in our locker room. We'd rather pull a ground ball into the shift. We're about 10/11th in the SEC only games in hitting now.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We are the Little League Team whose Dad had no idea who to draft. THAT I know, LOL!

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
We have no concept of "hit it where it's pitched". Oppo is a dirty word in our locker room. We'd rather pull a ground ball into the shift. We're about 10/11th in the SEC only games in hitting now.
Hitting it where it is pitched is what a “team” does. Pulling everything is what “individuals” do.

Reactions: InTheIttaBenaHotSun

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
That was evident tonight, especially early. How many times did we not even swing?

Oct 20, 2022
We are in an "sad state of affairs" all the way around at this point. We simply aren't competitive in any phase of the game at this stage. Coach L needs to be honorable and resign at the last post game conference. He would leave MSU with some dignity and it would be respected. The AD would then need to move quickly to hire a new coach with a completely new staff.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

I think a complete, clean break is in order. Nobody should be retained.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
I would call it more of a self inflicted multiple punches to the chest which is literally one of the stupidest things you can possible do to yourself. We just don’t have smart coaches or players

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I forgot we had games this weekend. I am done until the coach is fired. They will not get any ratings out of me.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I like Jake and think he will be a very good head coach, but as another poster has already said, we need a clean break. Total enema and culture change.
Agree with this 100%. I hate to lose him. A couple years ago I would have been fine with him being the HC here one day but I think what’s best is a clean start for everyone.

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's still just incredible to me that the last two national champions are the pretty clear worst two teams in a 14 team league.

Reactions: onewoof

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Need to start completely over hopefully keeping Hines, Jordan and Highfill. Maybe keep Mershon for 2nd base, but we need a stud SS and Mershon is not that. The key to a good team (besides pitching) is being strong up the middle.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I Will say one more thing. There is a difference between having a losing season and having a season like this after having a season what we did last year. You combine that with the season we had last year, and I don't see that there's anything to build on or for me to care about.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
It's still just incredible to me that the last two national champions are the pretty clear worst two teams in a 14 team league.
No greater proof exists for my theory of Conference Retard Karma Equilibrium.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
Hitting it where it is pitched is what a “team” does. Pulling everything is what “individuals” do.
Tell that to the MLB. Instead of making guys learn to go oppo they talk about removing the shift rule.

the games changed from small ball team baseball to who can hit the most hrs and k the most batters. That's what the kids watch today. The I, I, I, me, me, me. That's what makes recruiting in baseball so difficult.

all of these guys have grown up in the perfect game showcase era. You run a 60, hit bp, field gbs, and throw a bullpen and all scouts are looking for is power and velocity.

started with all of the analytics and the analytics say hitting hrs and striking out guys is the way to win at that level. The analytics these colleges have access to on the recruiting trail is unreal now.

the trick is taking a bunch of guys that have grown up trying to outshine the rest of the guys and have had unreal tools and been told for the last 3 years they are Incredible and getting them to play as a team.

a lot harder to do now than it was even 20 years ago.

when I was playing pro ball it was all about tools and individual ability at the lower levels. I volunteer coach at a local highschool now, coaching pitchers and that's the hardest part of our job as coaches is getting the I,I,I , me, me, me out of them.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Tell that to the MLB. Instead of making guys learn to go oppo they talk about removing the shift rule.

the games changed from small ball team baseball to who can hit the most hrs and k the most batters. That's what the kids watch today. The I, I, I, me, me, me. That's what makes recruiting in baseball so difficult.

all of these guys have grown up in the perfect game showcase era. You run a 60, hit bp, field gbs, and throw a bullpen and all scouts are looking for is power and velocity.

started with all of the analytics and the analytics say hitting hrs and striking out guys is the way to win at that level. The analytics these colleges have access to on the recruiting trail is unreal now.

the trick is taking a bunch of guys that have grown up trying to outshine the rest of the guys and have had unreal tools and been told for the last 3 years they are Incredible and getting them to play as a team.

when I was playing pro ball it was all about tools and individual ability at the lower levels. I volunteer coach at a local highschool now, coaching pitchers and that's the hardest part of our job as coaches is getting the I,I,I , me, me, me out of them.

The thing that sucks is that the analytics are correct about those things helping teams win, but the game was not meant to be played that way. There are 8 other guys on the field besides the pitcher and the hitter, and their contribution and ability should matter a lot more than it now does.

Just like basketball has more or less become a 3 point and layup / dunk competition with nothing in between, baseball at all levels has become a horrible product. There needs to be a drastic change somewhere to return play to how it was intended.

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
When you take pitches until you get a strike, that means you have only one big swing left. With two strikes you shorten up and go with the pitch. Other teams seem more aggressive throughout an at bat.
I’m no hitting expert, just relaying the thoughts of a friend who is a former LSU player.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Which is why I've lost interest in pro baseball. It's hard to watch. It's like watching a damn rerun each AB and game. It's not about skill anymore. It's about metrics.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I Will say one more thing. There is a difference between having a losing season and having a season like this after having a season what we did last year. You combine that with the season we had last year, and I don't see that there's anything to build on or for me to care about.
Our down season have to be 10-12 win seasons. Not 6-9 win seasons. No excuse to be this bad. And certainly no excuse to be this bad twice.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The thing that sucks is that the analytics are correct about those things helping teams win, but the game was not meant to be played that way. There are 8 other guys on the field besides the pitcher and the hitter, and their contribution and ability should matter a lot more than it now does.

Just like basketball has more or less become a 3 point and layup / dunk competition with nothing in between, baseball at all levels has become a horrible product. There needs to be a drastic change somewhere to return play to how it was intended.
Yep. And the only way for it to return is if fans demand it.

Funny, the change from hard-nosed tough-man football to now a more toss-it-around-but-still-tough game has been embraced. Probably because of the concussions. The whole pass-happy stuff is based on analytics too. Football has come out of COVID stronger than ever before.

But baseball have definitely gotten worse. I keep waiting for soccer to make a true move but it never happens. Spring is just becoming a hodge podge of sports (golf, baseball, softball, soccer, tennis). I think basketball will survive because it gets the winter to itself. Plus the analytics of it are harder to see, and honestly I kind of like teams that bomb 3s and dunk. I mean they keep moving the line back but mfers still can hit them. Even the 6'8" guys are out there knocking them down.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

Nope. We’re the worst hitting team in the conference and he recruited them too

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Bron Bron has the physical ability, but he’s too soft mentally. King Flop wouldn’t last a game against the 80’s Pistons.
Depends what decade you are playing the game in. Also, I don’t like Lebron simply because I’m a Celtics fan. But to act like he wouldn’t be able to compete in any era you dropped him into is silly. The guy has been in the league for 20 years and dominated the defending champs the other night.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Scottie Pippen made a career off of the mid-range jumper. He *almost* couldn’t play in today’s game. That says something.

Likewise - Tony Gwynn. 15 time All-Star and obviously a first ballot hall of famer. Probably one of the Top 10 greatest true contact hitters of all time. Might not make it out of AA if he played today.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023

Yep, it's really frustrating and I know the analytics are correct. Difference is spin rate/fbs that hold plain and all of that good stuff doesn't matter a lick if you can't throw it across the plate.

what a lot of people don't realize is the arms we are signing analytically speaking will be terrific arms one day. The mlb has the luxury of sticking a kid that doesn't know how to pitch but has great analytics in rookie ball for 3 years if they have to to get him enough mound time to figure out how to pitch.

colleges don't have that luxury, you gotta win and you gotta win now. You have to go get some big time power arms for college baseball now, no doubt if you want to win it. But you've also gotta have 4/5 guys that you know can fill the zone up every time they go out there. Even if it's just a couple of guys with a tick above average stuff that can get you through the line up one time.
Thumbing lefties are about a thing of the past and I hate that. I'd have a lefty on every one of my teams if I were a college coach that sat 85-87 with 3 pitches he could throw for a strike in any count, don't care if hes 6'5 220 or 5'10 180.

the hitters in college are still a much much easier out that a big league guy. The SEC is equivalent to probably low A to high A baseball. You still have a lot of guys in low and high A that chase and don't have great potential discipline. You'll even see it a little bit in double A.

we can get away with having a few arms that have below average stuff for today's game if they cAn command 3 pitches for strikes and especially if they have a plus plus change up.

kid in weat Point that's a jr committed to prcc that state won't drive ten minutes down the road to look at that is a dakota jordan type player that just hasn't had the exposure. Only difference is he's been up to 95 in his bullpens as well and throws strikes. Can't get state to take a look but southern miss and ole miss are all over him along with alabama and a pile of pro guys. And we can't go ten minutes down the road to see him. He's an under the radar kid that has a chance to be a Chris Jones(football) come out of nowhere type player.

blows my mind we've had scouts tell us he's got a chance to be a top 5-10 round pick and they just found out about him this year (his junior fall) we got him into a big showcase and he had a great day.

kid is talented enough to two way at the next level, play a corner spot or catch and he's got 65-70+ type power profile. 6'3 240 pounds runs a 6.8 60. Tops 95, sits 87-93 with an 83 mph slider and a change up he can throw for a strike. And incredible bat speed.
Why are Om and southern/bama and even Tennessee on him but state hasn't reached out?
That's what frustrates me. Got a kid in your back yard you've been told about and won't work him out or watch him play or even come over in the fall and catch a bullpen and a bp session at the very least.
Ron polk still shows up for practice at wp to talk baseball from time to time but can't get a coach to take a look.
So if any of y'all have any connections let someone know there is a kid at wp that is going to be a freak for someone.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yep, it's really frustrating and I know the analytics are correct. Difference is spin rate/fbs that hold plain and all of that good stuff doesn't matter a lick if you can't throw it across the plate.

what a lot of people don't realize is the arms we are signing analytically speaking will be terrific arms one day. The mlb has the luxury of sticking a kid that doesn't know how to pitch but has great analytics in rookie ball for 3 years if they have to to get him enough mound time to figure out how to pitch.

colleges don't have that luxury, you gotta win and you gotta win now. You have to go get some big time power arms for college baseball now, no doubt if you want to win it. But you've also gotta have 4/5 guys that you know can fill the zone up every time they go out there. Even if it's just a couple of guys with a tick above average stuff that can get you through the line up one time.
Thumbing lefties are about a thing of the past and I hate that. I'd have a lefty on every one of my teams if I were a college coach that sat 85-87 with 3 pitches he could throw for a strike in any count, don't care if hes 6'5 220 or 5'10 180.

the hitters in college are still a much much easier out that a big league guy. The SEC is equivalent to probably low A to high A baseball. You still have a lot of guys in low and high A that chase and don't have great potential discipline. You'll even see it a little bit in double A.

we can get away with having a few arms that have below average stuff for today's game if they cAn command 3 pitches for strikes and especially if they have a plus plus change up.

kid in weat Point that's a jr committed to prcc that state won't drive ten minutes down the road to look at that is a dakota jordan type player that just hasn't had the exposure. Only difference is he's been up to 95 in his bullpens as well and throws strikes. Can't get state to take a look but southern miss and ole miss are all over him along with alabama and a pile of pro guys. And we can't go ten minutes down the road to see him. He's an under the radar kid that has a chance to be a Chris Jones(football) come out of nowhere type player.

blows my mind we've had scouts tell us he's got a chance to be a top 5-10 round pick and they just found out about him this year (his junior fall) we got him into a big showcase and he had a great day.

kid is talented enough to two way at the next level, play a corner spot or catch and he's got 65-70+ type power profile. 6'3 240 pounds runs a 6.8 60. Tops 95, sits 87-93 with an 83 mph slider and a change up he can throw for a strike. And incredible bat speed.
Why are Om and southern/bama and even Tennessee on him but state hasn't reached out?
That's what frustrates me. Got a kid in your back yard you've been told about and won't work him out or watch him play or even come over in the fall and catch a bullpen and a bp session at the very least.
Ron polk still shows up for practice at wp to talk baseball from time to time but can't get a coach to take a look.
So if any of y'all have any connections let someone know there is a kid at wp that is going to be a freak for someone.
This staff is really lazy. There is another MS a kid they were given a heads up on a few years ago before anyone knew. We didn’t do anything and he is now at a Sec rival. Another P5 coach said he never sees us on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login