6 games in - who is your most improved player?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
It's Dillon Johnson for me offensively and defensively, no one stands out as far as marked improvement.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It's Dillon Johnson for me offensively and defensively, no one stands out as far as marked improvement.
I'll go with Ducking. Johnson has been running strong, but the real difference for him is that we're actually letting him run it 10+ times a game this year. We've seen flashes in the past but hard to string anything together when we only let him run it once or twice per possession.

May sound dumb, but Will Rogers looks like a different person this year. Physically he looks better, maybe he added a little weight. He moved around well on the TD he threw to Walley this weekend. One thing I noticed Saturday - coming back from a TV timeout, we'd already lined up and OL was down in positions. The ref was standing there with Rogers waiting on last ~20 seconds to run off the TV clock, and Rogers walks around him to tell his OLine to relax for a few seconds. It's just little stuff like that that tells you how composed and in control he is now.

During the salute to heros he was out on the field clapping for the guy. I swear man - if he continues playing at the level he has, he'll deserve to go down as one of the best ever right there with Dak.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
There are several that have shown improvement overall. The one that stands out most to me is Cole Smith. He was a liability at times last year and has been rock solid this year *so far*. Showing a mean streak, too.

Ducking is improved but still has some timely drops and fumbles. On defense, D-Cam Richardson, JP Purvis, Randy Charleton and Collin Duncan come to mind.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
DCam or Purvis. The fact you rarely hear their names called is good thing.
I’m holding praise for the OL until I see how well they hold up in the upcoming weeks.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Dillon to me is the same guy he's always been...just getting more opportunities.

My vote is for Will. He's improved with throwing the ball downfield, while maintaining his completion percentage.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012
Since this is a Junior/Senior heavy group, we can see maturity in alot of places. Dillon Johnson has been a stud, so I'd say his growth is not as surprising as the coaching staff providing consistent rushing opportunities. I definitely see improvement in the intangibles in Will Rogers, still a little more growth to come in my opinion. Everyone has always known Forbes was good. If you look at last year to this year, I think D Cam's growth (despite a blown coverage this past weekend), Ducking (consistent performance), Jett (consistent tackling machine), and the addition of Jackie Mathews' (also a missed assignment or two) energy on defense have been the biggest improvements.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
This thread showing / proving once again Leach knows how to get the most outta what he's got. Anybody have info on how he interacts one on one with individual players during practice and games? Does he chew a$$ to get results thru fear or does he work kinda calm and get good play from more of a positive reinforcement style? I've seen both managerial styles work and fail in my industry in offices. Go too hard and heavy at someone when he's actually trying with 100% effort and the results may not be his fault is the fastest way to lose the respect of your team / employees but trying to be everybody's best friend all the time can be a recipe for disaster as well. I've seen that famous locker room speech while at Tech but not sure I've seen any clips of him handling players individually.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Dillion Johnson. I wish I could do my Ya Boy again because I knew one of the backs gonna takeoff this season, and I thought it was gonna be Marks

Dillon Johnson is the key to any wins we have down the stretch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login