7 PM tonight - reminder that State will be featured on SEC Network about the first athletic event after 9/11

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Really cool that we got to be the ones to bring football back. I'll watch this with interest. I hope they highlight the moment of silence, then "Go to hell Bin Laden".

And unless I'm misremembering (very possible) this is also the game where we drove it down to the goal line pretty early but Zo got injured... So 12 had a high ankle the rest of the season, which I think turned our fate.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I'll always remember the players joining to hold the giant flag.

Also learned a lesson that day,,,, never take an alumni bus to the game. Sounded like a good idea but after the game..... the bus loaded near Hilbun. After it was loaded the bus went south on Hardy street (we were headed back to Memphis). We sat on campus for over an hour. A 2.5 hour's trip by car.... was 4 hours by bus.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Is it the most Mississippi State thing ever that all of our watershed moments end in some kind of heartbreaking loss?
Game of Change
Thunder & Lightning
'96 Final Four
This 9/20 Game
Croom
Tornado Basketball Game (technically we won the game, but lost to the worst team in the league the next day)
CFP #1
Snapping UConn's Winning Streak

Sigh... it's our lot in life to suffer.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I was there but the tailgating pregame was more somber and talk was what if they try and hit us again during the first big sports event but we all could see and felt like security was really tight.
I remember seeing this big mobile command RV type vehicle parked right out in front of the M Club building, not sure if it was MS Hwy Patrol or a Fedl Govt vehicle.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Is it the most Mississippi State thing ever that all of our watershed moments end in some kind of heartbreaking loss?
Game of Change
Thunder & Lightning
'96 Final Four
This 9/20 Game
Croom
Tornado Basketball Game (technically we won the game, but lost to the worst team in the league the next day)
CFP #1

Thank you for that depressing trip down Memory Lane

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Game of Change
Thunder & Lightning
'96 Final Four
This 9/20 Game
Croom
CFP #1

Not a “watershed moment” but losing the Nick Bell memorial game against Arkansas left me feeling physically sick. Everybody wanted to win that game so damn much for Nick and his family.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Thanks Spectrum for going out right as they unveiled the Flag and it didn’t come back on until it was over.
Was good but we could have done a better job I thought.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Not a “watershed moment” but losing the Nick Bell memorial game against Arkansas left me feeling physically sick. Everybody wanted to win that game so damn much for Nick and his family.
And we should have had we not fumbled out of the back of the EZ going in for a TD.
So Miss State to do that.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
And we should have had we not fumbled out of the back of the EZ going in for a TD.
So Miss State to do that.
People remember that play but don’t remember Arkansas fumbling at midfield trying to ice the game and allowing us to tie it. Or Arkansas missing a chip shot to win it after Vic fumbled. Both teams missed huge chances to win it.

That said… objectively speaking 2010 Arkansas is maybe the best game I’ve ever seen at DWS. I know we lost but that was an outstanding back and forth game between two Top 15 teams at year end, came down to double OT.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Thought it was well done but damn, you gotta play the national anthem through to the end..
Hell, they even nixed the entire stadium chanting USA! USA!

Why?

Wait, you think omitting The National Anthem is why I'm upset?!

If you don't want to watch the whole pregame, start at 2:55.

That Leather-Lunged Legend should be identified & honored.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Thought it was well done but damn, you gotta play the national anthem through to the end..
They knew nobody wanted to hear Bonnie one more time.

I thought it was good, but it would have been better if it had been longer and they had talked to more than just Sid and LT and Wayne Madkin.

Also, LT is the slowest talker I’ve ever heard.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
Just curious… does anyone know who yelled “go to hell bin Laden”? I was sitting on the opposite side of the stadium from where they were and remember thinking they were going to say GTHOM as he got the first words out. I physically tensed up thinking now is NOT the time for that but was relieved when he said bin Laden though. It occurred to me that all these years later I’ve never heard of who it was or even known if someone claimed it was them.

Reactions: Darryl Steight
Jul 11, 2024
Hell, they even nixed the entire stadium chanting USA! USA!

Why?

Wait, you think omitting The National Anthem is why I'm upset?!

If you don't want to watch the whole pregame, start at 2:55.

That Leather-Lunged Legend should be identified & honored.

He was my buddy's father. Recently passed away. He was a legend and he was honored appropriately!

Jul 11, 2024
Just curious… does anyone know who yelled “go to hell bin Laden”? I was sitting on the opposite side of the stadium from where they were and remember thinking they were going to say GTHOM as he got the first words out. I physically tensed up thinking now is NOT the time for that but was relieved when he said bin Laden though. It occurred to me that all these years later I’ve never heard of who it was or even known if someone claimed it was them.
Yes. See my post above.

Reactions: atomic dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login