8-0 Samford. Just turned on game.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Good Lord. I had hope that we'd turn a corner at some point this season and thought Auburn was that corner. I figured leaders would step up and all that jazz. It's like we've cashed it in though and that worries me. How often does a team go from winning a NC to taking a massive dump on everything? Not only that but getting WORSE down the stretch?

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Season was over a week ago. This team knows that. They are done playing. This roster needs a total revamp to say the least. Definitely need some pitchers. And a catcher, couple of outfielders, first baseman, third baseman, water boy....

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I don’t really see this as us quitting. The way we lose doesn’t really fit the bill of a team that has phoned it in. When we lose, it tends to either be by a run or two or it’s close until the 8th or 9th when we just fall apart.

We haven’t quit, we just suck this year.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
11 runners stranded on the bases thru 8 innings. This team must have a below .200 ba for runners in scoring position for the season.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’ll say it again for the back of the room. Those that complain about our weak schedule, we would have lost games against solid teams because we are not very good. We have no leadership.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Scheduling and Being good/bad are two
separate things. We want to thrive in both.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I’m surprised they would come all this way from California on a Tuesday night.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're not wrong. But the schedule is still inexcusable. RPI can make a difference in some years, so there's no reason not to schedule accordingly. And, as we've proved this year, 13 Q4 games (and counting) doesn't do a damn thing to help develop players.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Samford lost 6 of their 9 starters and all of their weekend pitchers from last year.

Let that one sink in brothers

Rock bottom? Maybe.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I am the biggest critic of our schedule there is. I am the biggest proponent of trying to manipulate RPI with scheduling there is. RPI is the single most important metric there is and 75% is out of your control the day you release the schedule

edit. Sorry. Thought Pat was responding to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Can you imagine if we were still a bubble team what would happen after we played RPI# 283/301 North Alabama next week? I'm hoping if that were ever the case and there wasn't a chance of bad weather that night that the field would experience an 'unexpected' sprinkler malfunction or electrical failure preventing a game.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
It's Samford. This ain't Tennessee we are playing. And yes, if only we had played a tougher schedule all year. That woulda fixed it

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Season was over a week ago. This team knows that. They are done playing. This roster needs a total revamp to say the least. Definitely need some pitchers. And a catcher, couple of outfielders, first baseman, third baseman, water boy....

Season was over the day State lost to Northern Kentucky. I had a gut feeling this group was rudderless. And Lemonis found his *** spreading out again as he continued to sit on that ball bucket way too long.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Haven’t we complained about the schedule for a number of years without it really biting us? I think of our schedule as: One premier OOC weekend, USM & OM in Jackson, quite a few scrubs & then our SEC schedule.

Did that formula really change that from 2021 to 2022?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We schedule Princeton and N Kentucky at home for 3 game series. Those were known RPI negatives. Cant do 2 of those and then also schedule Pine Bluff, Grambling, TN Martin and N Alabama at home. Thats 10 games we just threw away from an RPI a standpoint.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
We schedule Princeton and N Kentucky at home for 3 game series. Those were known RPI negatives. Cant do 2 of those and then also schedule Pine Bluff, Grambling, TN Martin and N Alabama at home. Thats 10 games we just threw away from an RPI a standpoint.

We might be 4-5 games under .500 without that schedule

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Like I said. Being good and scheduling are two separate things. If you are really bad it doesn’t matter. If you are really good it doesn’t matter. But there are teams you can schedule that you can beat that won’t kill your rpi like Princeton.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Scheduling and Being good/bad are two
separate things. We want to thrive in both.
I get it, but there are people that actually believe if we scheduled better our RPI would be borderline regional. If we played ULala for a 3 game set instead of Princeton we probably drop 2 of 3 and be below .500 overall.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
And just when Vandy was losing bigly to the powerhouse Indiana State going into the bottom of the 9th and I was taking solace in that, Vandy goes and wins it in the 11th.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Because up until this past weekend that was the case. But we have played our way out regardless of schedule. Doesnt have to be a good team we play just find someone who can be .500

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Probably. But there is a possibility that players would have risen to the occasion. We are not super talented, but we are not as bad as we are showing. We're probably just mentally weak and lack leadership (I guess that's why we are so bad with RISP?). We have a lot of players that would probably play better on a team with good leadership (or at least their flaws could be hidden a little bit more if they were surrounded by better players). Maybe if they had faced tougher competition earlier it would have been a **** or get off the pot moment for some of them. Probably not; we'd probably be in the same spot with a worse record. But having a good schedule doesn't hurt you, so I'm not sure why wouldn't just try to use schedule with an eye towards RPI.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Probably. But there is a possibility that players would have risen to the occasion. We are not super talented, but we are not as bad as we are showing. We're probably just mentally weak and lack leadership (I guess that's why we are so bad with RISP?). We have a lot of players that would probably play better on a team with good leadership (or at least their flaws could be hidden a little bit more if they were surrounded by better players). Maybe if they had faced tougher competition earlier it would have been a **** or get off the pot moment for some of them. Probably not; we'd probably be in the same spot with a worse record. But having a good schedule doesn't hurt you, so I'm not sure why wouldn't just try to use schedule with an eye towards RPI.

When I read your "risen" comment, I thought of the Atlanta falcons' "rise up". Seems perfect - we are the Atlanta falcons this year. We suck, and I can't wait for this roster to be reconstructed

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

And with that schedule, we can win out and finish 15-15 in SEC play, including a home sweep of the #1 team in the country and a road sweep of another Top 15 team, and we’re still not going to sniff the regionals. That’s flat out unacceptable from a scheduling standpoint for an SEC team.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
I think I read on here that we are the 8th team in history to win a NC and not make the tourney the following year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login