8+ loss seasons since 2009

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Hearing people pick us to go 4-8 (0-8) this year made me wonder...

school8+ loss seasons since 2009most recent 8+ loss season
Vanderbilt72021
Arkansas52019
Ole Miss32019
South Carolina32020
Kentucky22013
Tennessee12017
Missouri12016
Florida12013
Auburn12012
Texas A&M02008
Alabama02003
LSU01999
Georgia01953
Mississippi State02008

Edited to correct Georgia's 2053 season to 1953 😑

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't think we will go 4-8 or have a losing season, but I do understand why people would think that. We were a Mike Leach team built to run his offense with his QB, and we are switching offenses. It's not out of the question. We have a lot coming back, but there is that major staff change question.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I don't think we will go 4-8 or have a losing season, but I do understand why people would think that. We were a Mike Leach team built to run his offense with his QB, and we are switching offenses. It's not out of the question. We have a lot coming back, but there is that major staff change question.
Here's the thing though with Leach - our offense was not great. We feasted on the really bad teams which made the offense look better than it was statistically. The defense which is not changing is what made us who we were under Leach.

SEC games only passing - 277 ypg, 15 TD, 4 INT
SEC games only rushing - 78 ypg, 9 TD
We averaged 25 ppg in our SEC games and I'm not sure how many were defensive or special teams touchdown.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah, and for me, it’s not so much the offensive scheme change that concerns me. It’s putting Will under center

Rogers may go down as one of the most under appreciated dogs of all time by the time he leaves State, but he does have some undeniable limitations, and I think we all have more than a few nightmare visions of him trying to escape pressure over the last 3 seasons. Now, we’re talking about him taking a snap, turning his back to SEC defenses, and then having less time to see the field before making a pass. I’m also fairly certain that he said he’s literally never played under center before.

Anyway, do I think that 0-8 or 1-7 predictions are insane? Yeah, but I’m more nervous about some of these offensive changes than I typically am

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
HARD THING BOUT BEING A &TATE FAN IS HAVING TO HANG YOUR HAT ON STATS LIKE THIS TO P0UND OUR CHESTS. IF THIS WERE BA&EBALL THIS CHATRUM W0ULD BE LIKE "BUT...BUT...WE ARE AN ELEETE PR0GRAM! DONUT GROUP US WITH THESE LOW LIFES"

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah, and for me, it’s not so much the offensive scheme change that concerns me. It’s putting Will under center

Rogers may go down as one of the most under appreciated dogs of all time by the time he leaves State, but he does have some undeniable limitations, and I think we all have more than a few nightmare visions of him trying to escape pressure over the last 3 seasons. Now, we’re talking about him taking a snap, turning his back to SEC defenses, and then having less time to see the field before making a pass. I’m also fairly certain that he said he’s literally never played under center before.

Anyway, do I think that 0-8 or 1-7 predictions are insane? Yeah, but I’m more nervous about some of these offensive changes than I typically am
We will do a little bit of under center stuff but it is still going to be shotgun or pistol formations for the most part.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019

He said in an interview that he did it one time, singular, in high school and maybe some in peewee. There will probably be a learning curve for him under center, but he also said that this system doesn't put as much pressure on him mentally as the air raid does. It's simpler for the quarterback

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
HARD THING BOUT BEING A &TATE FAN IS HAVING TO HANG YOUR HAT ON STATS LIKE THIS TO P0UND OUR CHESTS. IF THIS WERE BA&EBALL THIS CHATRUM W0ULD BE LIKE "BUT...BUT...WE ARE AN ELEETE PR0GRAM! DONUT GROUP US WITH THESE LOW LIFES"
Not hanging our hat on not losing 8+ games, just pointing out that predicting State goes 4-8 is predicting something that hasn't happened since 2008. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but generally speaking, making predictions that rely on "this time is different" is a losing strategy, especially in college football. Even though you'll be right every once in a while, you'll be wrong 10+ times for every time you're right.

And my suspicion is the people making those predictions don't know that they are predicting something that hasn't happened since 2008.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
He said in an interview that he did it one time, singular, in high school and maybe some in peewee. There will probably be a learning curve for him under center, but he also said that this system doesn't put as much pressure on him mentally as the air raid does. It's simpler for the quarterback

Again, I think the under center thing is being overblown a bit. If you go back and watch App State vs A&M from last year, Barbay had his QB under center a grand total of twice. Once was a 4th and 1 QB sneak, the other was a 3rd and 2. Our spring game looked very similar to that, lots of pistol sets with motion and then shotgun for obvious passing situations.

Under center is something we may utilize a little but it’s not going to be super regular.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

If Rogers goes under center for more than 5% of his snaps this year, we would definitely be playing with limb- severing explosives.
Just don't think they would put Will in that situation unless they felt reeeeally confident.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Here's the thing though with Leach - our offense was not great. We feasted on the really bad teams which made the offense look better than it was statistically. The defense which is not changing is what made us who we were under Leach.

We averaged 25 ppg in our SEC games and I'm not sure how many were defensive or special teams touchdown.
After removing special teams and defensive TD’s we averaged 20.3 PPG in SEC play + Illinois. It was pretty bad. Not sure why some people are convinced we had a good offense under Leach.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

Not sure where the narrative came from that Will is going to be under center. He’ll mostly be in the pistol.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
After removing special teams and defensive TD’s we averaged 20.3 PPG in SEC play + Illinois. It was pretty bad. Not sure why some people are convinced we had a good offense under Leach.

The peak for Leach offenses was around the midpoint of 2021 until that Egg Bowl in the rain. We had some games two years ago where we really did look awesome on offense.

2020 was a total mess outside of 2-3 games. 2022 was up and down. We struggled against any defense with a pulse last year. I think our lack of a clear go to guy like Polk was in ‘21 definitely hurt us last season. We seemed unsure who we could trust at WR.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Again, I think the under center thing is being overblown a bit. If you go back and watch App State vs A&M from last year, Barbay had his QB under center a grand total of twice. Once was a 4th and 1 QB sneak, the other was a 3rd and 2. Our spring game looked very similar to that, lots of pistol sets with motion and then shotgun for obvious passing situations.

Under center is something we may utilize a little but it’s not going to be super regular.
LIAR!! We are going to be under center 90% of the time. We are going to run the ball 60 times a game and pass it 15. That is what all
the fans and outside media have told me.
I loved this tweet.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
And as always our success on offense will hinge more on the ability of our OL to control the LOS against whoever we're playing. That will never ever change. The scheme is secondary to our ability to run block and protect the QB in obvious passing downs.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
LIAR!! We are going to be under center 90% of the time. We are going to run the ball 60 times a game and pass it 15. That is what all
I loved this tweet.

RTDB!! **

(RUN THE DAMB BALL!!)

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I loved this tweet.

dissing MSU has never cost anyone a job. Bama, however......

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
If Rogers goes under center for more than 5% of his snaps this year, we would definitely be playing with limb- severing explosives.
Just don't think they would put Will in that situation unless they felt reeeeally confident.
Unfortunately, he has also seemed to be very fumble-prone in the past.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

It wasn't, and I was a huge critic of it. The offense sucked and needed to be changed. The process of changing it may be painful though. Hopefully it will be better.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Hearing people pick us to go 4-8 (0-8) this year made me wonder...

school8+ loss seasons since 2009most recent 8+ loss season
Vanderbilt72021
Arkansas52019
Ole Miss32019
South Carolina32020
Kentucky22013
Tennessee12017
Missouri12016
Florida12013
Auburn12012
Texas A&M02008
Alabama02003