Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Also on the morning of June 6, 1944, a unit of Rangers scaled the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc seeking out artillery thought to be emplaced there. It turned out to be bad intel, as the guns had not been emplaced yet, but were about a quarter mile inland. The Rangers found them and destroyed them just in case. The losses among the Rangers were staggering from the assault and the days that followed.

The memorial is in the shape of the grappling hook shot from the beach. The views are to the east and west. The big fear among the Overlord planners was that these guns could rain fire onto Omaha (to the east) and Utah (to the west), and therefore the site had to be taken and held quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_7279.jpeg
    IMG_7279.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7268.jpeg
    IMG_7268.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7267.jpeg
    IMG_7267.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 6

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
The Normandy American cemetery. Absolutely one of the most solemn and humbling experiences of my life. And perhaps outside Augusta National, one of the places on this earth landscaped to perfection. The crosses line up perfectly from every angle and if there was so much as a blade of grass out of place I didn’t see it.

Attachments

• IMG_7347.jpeg
    IMG_7347.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 5

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Growing up in the 50s, I had an idyllic childhood. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was surrounded by heroes...my father being one. I would ask him what each neighbor did in the war and he would patiently answer, "airborne...he was a Japanese POW..." etc
They gave so much and asked for nothing in return except a chance to work long hours and earn a decent living. They were wise and let their children fail and succeed on their own. This nation needs them now more than ever.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Growing up in the 50s, I had an idyllic childhood. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was surrounded by heroes...my father being one. I would ask him what each neighbor did in the war and he would patiently answer, "airborne...he was a Japanese POW..." etc
They gave so much and asked for nothing in return except a chance to work long hours and earn a decent living. They were wise and let their children fail and succeed on their own. This nation needs them now more than ever.
To your point, what we asked in return:

Attachments

• IMG_7313.jpeg
    IMG_7313.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 8

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Sorry in advance for the length, Just a memory to share with everyone ( and I have other stories to tell as well )

This day, more than any other, gives me pause to take a moment to appreciate all the great men and women who sacrificed and overcame the horrors of a maniac hell bent on destroying the world. As the years go by, I am more appreciative than ever of what I was left with after a brief encounter with a middle aged woman from Portsmouth who had lived through the air campaign conducted by Hitler. At the time, I really could not comprehend what had transpired in WW2. I did not fully understand the significance of D-Day as a young person before June 5th 1984.

Forty years ago ( wow, forty short years ago ) I was stationed on the Eisenhower, CVN69, The IKE, the greatest Nuclear powered AirCraft Carrier of it’s time and still in service today. The ship was invited to participate in the 40th anniversary celebration commemorating the launch of D-Day. Eisenhower was the mastermind behind the invasion that saved the free world. I was the Topside Petty Officer in charge of Combat recovery operations on the Flight Deck and was a member of a gregarious crew. Time off meant partying. We were a work hard, play hard cast of characters.

So the IKE was in Portsmouth for the week of celebration, Reagan was coming over, lots of pomp and circumstance. The town was lit and it was fun. Our gang partied up for the most part at a bar named the Blue Anchor but there were other places as well. At that time, England still observed some ritual of bars closing during the day and reopening later on.

The night before my day of discovery is fuzzy at best, it may or may not have included sleeping on a pool table or bench. Somehow or another me and a few shipmates ended up at the Old Soldiers and Sailors Home Club the next morning, which may have been renamed the Maritime Hotel, for breakfast. Breakfast was free, substantial ( proper British Breakfast, first one I ever ate ) and right on time. Our Servers were charming people who could not have been nicer. They made a point to thank us for showing up, made sure everything was just perfect, even delivering warm steamy milk for our coffee as most of us took our coffee with cream. The free breakfast was just one of many tokens of appreciation the locals were providing as part of the celebration. When we said “ thank you” to our server, we were always met with the response, “ no, Thank You for being here “. With that breakfast under my belt, I made my way back to the ship to take a nap, get a change of clothes, etc as the town was still quiet For the most part.

A few hours later, back in town after a few rounds, I took a break to go out shopping to get some mementos. Whatever I bought I no longer have BTW, isn’t that the way the world works? While walking around town with a buddy enjoying the sight seeing, we sat down on a park bench to sit for a spell and enjoy the afternoon. While sitting, a middle aged woman came up and asked if she could sit on the bench with us. I said sure.It turns out she wanted to take a moment to thank us for being there as well.

As we sat, she recounted the horrors of growing up during the bombings, what is was like being a child living under siege and how much it meant to her that someone, us, The United States Of America, showed up to sacrifice and help save the day. She was gracious, thankful, interesting and insightful All at the same time. I remember it being a very nice conversation. She could not have been more appreciative.

At the time, it started to dawn on me what it all meant and why we were here but not completely. It certainly did to the woman who sat with us on the bench, the folks serving Breakfast, Reagan, Margaret Thatcher and many British citizens who lived through the hell of WW2. As I get older and have had a chance to reflect, read, travel ( London is full of WW2 history ) I have come to realize just how important that massive effort led by Eisenhower was. The Men and Woman who worked tirelessly, sacrificed, and accomplished so much during the Launch will be forever admired for all they gave us And our Allies. To the Men who landed up and down the coast you have my thanks. To those still living and those left behind, we are forever grateful for your sacrifice as we sit here today. May your memory never fade. When the world needed you, you delivered. Thank you for your service.

Last edited:

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Sorry in advance for the length, Just a memory to share with everyone ( and I have other stories to tell as well )

This day, more than any other, gives me pause to take a moment to appreciate all the great men and women who sacrificed and overcame the horrors of a manic hell bent on destroying the world. As the years go by, I am more appreciative than ever of what I was left with after a brief encounter with a middle aged woman from Portsmouth who had lived through the air campaign conducted by Hitler. At the time, I really could not comprehend what had transpired in WW2. I did not fully understand the significance of D-Day as a young person before June 5th 1984.

Forty years ago ( wow, forty short years ago ) I was stationed on the Eisenhower, CVN69, The IKE, the greatest Nuclear powered AirCraft Carrier of it’s time and still in service today. The ship was invited to participate in the 40th anniversary celebration commemorating the launch of D-Day. Eisenhower was the mastermind behind the invasion that saved the free world. I was the Topside Petty Officer in charge of Combat recovery operations on the Flight Deck and was a member of a gregarious crew. Time off meant partying. We were a work hard, play hard cast of characters.

So the IKE was in Portsmouth for the week of celebration, Reagan was coming over, lots of pomp and circumstance. The town was lit and it was fun. Our gang partied up for the most part at a bar named the Blue Anchor but there were other places as well. At that time, England still observed some ritual of bars closing during the day and reopening later on.

The night before my day of discovery is fuzzy at best, it may or may not have included sleeping on a pool table or bench. Somehow or another me and a few shipmates ended up at the Old Soldiers and Sailors Home Club the next morning, which may have been renamed the Maritime Hotel, for breakfast. Breakfast was free, substantial ( proper British Breakfast, first one I ever ate ) and right on time. Our Servers were charming people who could not have been nicer. They made a point to thank us for showing up, made sure everything was just perfect, even delivering warm steamy milk for our coffee as most of us took our coffee with cream. The free breakfast was just one of many tokens of appreciation the locals were providing as part of the celebration. When we said “ thank you” to our server, we were always met with the response, “ no, Thank You for being here “. With that breakfast under my belt, I made my way back to the ship to take a nap, get a change of clothes, etc as the town was still quiet For the most part.

A few hours later, back in town after a few rounds, I took a break to go out shopping to get some mementos. Whatever I bought I no longer have BTW, isn’t that the way the world works? While walking around town with a buddy enjoying the sight seeing, we sat down on a park bench to sit for a spell and enjoy the afternoon. While sitting, a middle aged woman came up and asked if she could sit on the bench with us. I said sure.It turns out she wanted to take a moment to thank us for being there as well.

As we sat, she recounted the horrors of growing up during the bombings, what is was like being a child living under siege and how much it meant to her that someone, us, The United States Of America, showed up to sacrifice and help save the day. She was gracious, thankful, interesting and insightful All at the same time. I remember it being a very nice conversation. She could not have been more appreciative.

At the time, it started to dawn on me what it all meant and why we were here but not completely. It certainly did to the woman who sat with us on the bench, the folks serving Breakfast, Reagan, Margaret Thatcher and many British citizens who lived through the hell of WW2. As I get older and have had a chance to reflect, read, travel ( London is full of WW2 history ) I have come to realize just how important that massive effort led by Eisenhower was. The Men and Woman who worked tirelessly, sacrificed, and accomplished so much during the Launch will be forever admired for all they gave us And our Allies. To the Men who landed up and down the coast you have my thanks. To those still living and those left behind, we are forever grateful for your sacrifice as we sit here today. May your memory never fade. When the world needed you, you delivered. Thank you for your service.
Very good post. Thanks.

Reactions: Tgar

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022

This day, more than any other, gives me pause to take a moment to appreciate all the great men and women who sacrificed and overcame the horrors of a maniac hell bent on destroying the world. As the years go by, I am more appreciative than ever of what I was left with after a brief encounter with a middle aged woman from Portsmouth who had lived through the air campaign conducted by Hitler. At the time, I really could not comprehend what had transpired in WW2. I did not fully understand the significance of D-Day as a young person before June 5th 1984.

My Dad served in War II. Tech sergeant with the Infantry - 97th Infantry Division, to be exact. The 97th was designated for the invasion of Japan, but in January 1945 was sent to Europe as replacements for Battle of the Bulge casualties. He/his buddies fought in Germany - one of the 97th's regiments is credited with firing the last shot in the European theater. After VE Day, the 97th was sent back to the US, to begin again to prep for invading the Japanese mainland. They were actually on trains, heading across the US, when they got word Japan had surrendered. Time to go home, right? Nope! They continued on to Japan to serve as part of the occupation team. Thus, Dad had both ETO and PTO service ribbons.

He was a mortarman/radio operator. When my turn came, I guess I chose mortars as my MOS to subconsciously parallel his service . . .

Thanks and RIP, Dad. Miss you and Mom.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Also on the morning of June 6, 1944, a unit of Rangers scaled the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc seeking out artillery thought to be emplaced there. It turned out to be bad intel, as the guns had not been emplaced yet, but were about a quarter mile inland. The Rangers found them and destroyed them just in case. The losses among the Rangers were staggering from the assault and the days that followed.

The memorial is in the shape of the grappling hook shot from the beach. The views are to the east and west. The big fear among the Overlord planners was that these guns could rain fire onto Omaha (to the east) and Utah (to the west), and therefore the site had to be taken and held quickly.
One of the biggest miscalculations of this operation was the ropes became drenched in the landing ships, thereby dramatically increasing the weight of the ropes. This caused many of the attempts to fire to hooks up the cliff to come up way short, thereby forcing the Rangers to have to climb up by hand.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY... Hooah

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
What is so amazing are the stories that were never told.

My Uncle Bob (pictured in Life Magazine Dec. 1942) covering German prisoners In North Africa. Probably part of the Army in the Pacific Islands campaign.
My Father teaching recruits from shipboard promotions at the Naval Academy until his release in late 1946.
My neighbor who left Duke in his Sophomore year to become a 'Screaming Eagle'. Jumped at midnight before landings (from 600 feet) behind German lines to blow up bridges and prevent movement toward beaches. Went on as part of E Company across Europe and Bastogne to Germany, two Purple Hearts and the Croix De Guerre from France. Many additional commendations and medals besides.

They are all gone now, and never told stories of their experiences. I always wondered, but did not wish to invade their privacy. Amazing.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
What is so amazing are the stories that were never told.

My Uncle Bob (pictured in Life Magazine Dec. 1942) covering German prisoners In North Africa. Probably part of the Army in the Pacific Islands campaign.
My Father teaching recruits from shipboard promotions at the Naval Academy until his release in late 1946.
My neighbor who left Duke in his Sophomore year to become a 'Screaming Eagle'. Jumped at midnight before landings (from 600 feet) behind German lines to blow up bridges and prevent movement toward beaches. Went on as part of E Company across Europe and Bastogne to Germany, two Purple Hearts and the Croix De Guerre from France. Many additional commendations and medals besides.

They are all gone now, and never told stories of their experiences. I always wondered, but did not wish to invade their privacy. Amazing.

While I was serving, my Dad did share a few of his experiences. But even then I felt like he was pulling his punches - not giving me the full "Saving Private Ryan" view. Some of his sharing was very practical - being Infantry, keeping your feet dry and weapon clean were paramount -- and some was to try to prepare me for war. Fortunately, the latter lessons were never needed.

Recognition of them as "the Greatest Generation" should extend past their wartime experiences. They came home to create an economy that not only helped the US but that also rebuilt much of Asia and Europe.

Last edited:

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Thousands of Allied soldiers, sailors, and airmen were only hours away from making a desperate attempt to free Europe from the Nazi nightmare.
My great-uncle was one of the few original surviving members of the US Army Big Red One division. He fought in Africa, Italy and stormed the beach at Normandy. He was wounded in the chest by machine gun fire coming off the beach and lost a lung. But he lived. He never said much about what he saw, only confiding to my father who at the time seemed headed to Vietnam.

God bless the great men who sacrificed to conquer evil. I cringe at what the world would look like without them.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Following along from great article from Tom, this book from the late/great Stephen Ambrose is a collection of 1000+ interviews... really good

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login