9 weekend commitments = only a #56 ranking??

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
According to Athlons 2023 rankings, we finished the year #80 in the country.

#55 was New Mexico State, #56 Auburn and #57:Fresno State.

Looks like we are making progress With the #56th ranked class.

Reactions: Virginia_Reb
Jan 4, 2024
I've noticed your typical top 20 teams have classes averaging 89 or higher per player or at least high 88's. Seems like we've been courting lots of 86's and schit of late. Many times a mediocre team's ranked higher than an elite team cuz they have (20) 87's while the elite team has say (12) 92's.

But I don't spend time following crootin cuz I'm too smart to waste time on that kinda stuff like y'all do.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Bait GIF

Reactions: Xenomorph

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019

Athalons…. That’s still exists??
Our 247 class ranked 27 in 2023, ranked 29 in 2024
Our On3 ranking (on3 is the site your on) ranked us 24 in 2023, and 26in 2024. But you pull out ranking from a **** magazine….

patdog

May 28, 2007

That’s bad. Even as little trust as I put in recruiting rankings, they’re not likely missing it by that much. This is like 1980s recruiting all over again.

• Haha
Reactions: Mack Rebennack

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Athalons…. That’s still exists??
Our 247 class ranked 27 in 2023, ranked 29 in 2024
Our On3 ranking (on3 is the site your on) ranked us 24 in 2023, and 26in 2024. But you pull out ranking from a **** magazine….

Bulldawg77 has a point (what has Athlon done lately?) but a bigger issue hasn’t been mentioned by anyone: Recruiting Rank within the SEC.

And both On3 & Athlon agree that State ranked 14th out of the 16 SEC teams for 2024.

And that’s because Athlon uses On3. 😂

(at least this time)

Below are the updated SEC football recruiting rankings ahead of National Signing Day. All rankings are from the On3 industry rankings.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldawg77 has a point (what has Athlon done lately?) but a bigger issue hasn’t been mentioned by anyone: Recruiting Rank within the SEC.

And both On3 & Athlon agree that State ranked 14th out of the 16 SEC teams for 2024.

(at least this time)

Below are the updated SEC football recruiting rankings ahead of National Signing Day. All rankings are from the On3 industry rankings.

You expected any different? We've spent the past decade 12th of 14. Add two more blue blood to the mix and we are now 14th of 16.
Same as it everwas.

Reactions: 85Bears

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You expected any different? We've spent the past decade 12th of 14. Add two more blue blood to the mix and we are now 14th of 16.
Same as it everwas.
LOL

No I didn’t any expect anything different but someone has to remind folks of the obvious considering the accurate — but sunshine pumping— post from Bulldawg77.

To me the real takeaway here is that Athlon has used On3 so if one person (Bulldawg77) criticizes a group such as Athlon because of its inactivity, one must take into account that at least it’s using information from a second outfit cited by that him as being better.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"why are we celebrating?" ....... Maybe because we didn't have anymore than 9 . **

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Recruiting rankings are pretty convoluted other than the obvious freaks. The school name makes the ranking as much as the talent outside those top recruits. We aren't getting a bunch of 5 star talent but we rarely finish bottom of the SEC on the field, even with all the media predictions and recruiting ranking BS.

Reactions: FormerBully

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I can’t believe you guys are taking the bait from 85Bears on Athlon’s recruiting rankings lol. This board is clueless when it comes to recruiting

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

(at least this time)

Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I can’t believe you guys are taking the bait from 85Bears on Athlon’s recruiting rankings lol. This board is clueless when it comes to recruiting

You’re on this board too so you’re also clueless. **

Seriously though, does your opinion of Athlon change since they have used (and cited - to their credit) research done by On3 to create their rankings?

My takes are:

1. Athlon recognizes their limitations and goes with what they consider a trusted source.

2. We’re (well most of us aren’t) not in Athlon’s target audience. I think they’re skewing older age range (65-) since they’re a legacy operation.

3. I’d rather go straight to the source and use On3 instead of citing Athlon. IOW, I’m not an Athlon fan either.

To me the real takeaway here is that Athlon has used On3 so if one person (Bulldawg77) criticizes a group such as Athlon because of its inactivity, one must take into account that at least it’s using information from a second outfit cited by that him as being better.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
You’re on this board too so you’re also clueless. **

Seriously though, does your opinion of Athlon change since they have used (and cited - to their credit) research done by On3 to create their rankings?

My takes are:

1. Athlon recognizes their limitations and goes with what they consider a trusted source.

2. We’re (well most of us aren’t) not in Athlon’s target audience. I think they’re skewing older age range (65-) since they’re a legacy operation.

3. I’d rather go straight to the source and use On3 instead of citing Athlon. IOW, I’m not an Athlon fan either.
The only reputable sources for recruiting are On3 and 247. There’s a gigantic gap and then you have rivals and ESPN (who have very little resources in the recruiting industry today). Citing Athlon in terms of recruiting is a complete troll by 85Bears- it’s who he is with our football program.

We currently have commitments from 2 of the top 12 in the state of MS - lead for 5 more, and will probably get a flip from the #3 player - Lockhart from Auburn. All 8 of these players are at least 4 stars. If we land 5-6 of them we will be in the 20-30 range like we always have been. Which is where we should be, but truthfully Lebby gives us a much better chance to have an outlier class in the top 20 when compared to his predecessors.

All this “Croom era” bs is just classic SPS negative BS and not rooted in reality. It’s June in recruiting with a new staff. We are in good shape.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't care what the classes are rated. All I want to see is a specific plan for how we acquire talent. It's more important than ever before, due to this era.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The only reputable sources for recruiting are On3 and 247. There’s a gigantic gap and then you have rivals and ESPN (who have very little resources in the recruiting industry today). Citing Athlon in terms of recruiting is a complete troll by 85Bears- it’s who he is with our football program.

Depending on the situation, it’s a perceived troll.

I posted an Athlon link earlier that used On3 data to back up its case.

Are you going to disparage Athlon for ranking State similarly to & citing On3 simply because they’re *ugh* Athlon?

If so, then you’ve got a serious blind spot here.

We currently have commitments from 2 of the top 12 in the state of MS - lead for 5 more, and will probably get a flip from the #3 player - Lockhart from Auburn. All 8 of these players are at least 4 stars. If we land 5-6 of them we will be in the 20-30 range like we always have been. Which is where we should be, but truthfully Lebby gives us a much better chance to have an outlier class in the top 20 when compared to his predecessors.

Maybe.

I’m noncommittal on if Lebby will give us a better chance simply because he has no track record.

He’s got to show me.

Until then, I go with the standard State recruiting ranking template.

All this “Croom era” bs is just classic SPS negative BS and not rooted in reality. It’s June in recruiting with a new staff. We are in good shape.

We will see.

I’ll know somewhat how we do on signing day and then the following couple seasons.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Depending on the situation, it’s a perceived troll.

I posted an Athlon link earlier that used On3 data to back up its case.

Are you going to disparage Athlon for ranking State similarly to & citing On3 simply because they’re *ugh* Athlon?

If so, then you’ve got a serious blind spot here.

Maybe.

I’m noncommittal on if Lebby will give us a better chance simply because he has no track record.

He’s got to show me.

Until then, I go with the standard State recruiting ranking template.

We will see.

I’ll know somewhat how we do on signing day and then the following couple seasons.
So in summary, we need to expect Lebby to be Sylvester Croom unless proven otherwise. Even though we can’t currently draw one similarity between the two coaches. Got it.

Our fanbase 17n sucks

Reactions: Hot Rock

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So in summary, we need to expect Lebby to be Sylvester Croom unless proven otherwise. Even though we can’t currently draw one similarity between the two coaches. Got it.

Our fanbase 17n sucks

You gotta realize that most of us are influenced by President Reagan.

Us Six Packers are Americans & MSU Football is the Soviet Union so we have no choice but to “Trust, But Verify.”

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
why are we celebrating? This is Croom recruiting all over again. The majority of these commitments only had g5 offers.

You gotta realize that most of us are influenced by President Reagan.

Us Six Packers are Americans & MSU Football is the Soviet Union so we have no choice but to “Trust, But Verify.”
Of course, the last time MSU football was sustainably interesting was probably during the Reagan administration.*********************

Proof:

*Memorable 1980 season, Reagan wins election. ("6-3" over Bama was a foreshadowing of the greatness of Reagan)*******
*1982, first lights at Scott Field for a game and an upset of LSU***************************
*The athletic department under LT was in the black.********************
*1988 season, Reagan term limits kick in and we have the infamous "Tech & 10" season. Hence the ominous tolling of the bell****************

Any argument to the contrary is simply anti-American rhetoric that will see Bruce Springsteen's red, white, and blue Stratocaster jammed up your (CENSORED for the sake of wholesome American family values)********************

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

DBBulldog

Nov 7, 2023
why are we celebrating? This is Croom recruiting all over again. The majority of these commitments only had g5 offers.
Pretty sure this is my first time looking on sixpack but is it always this negative?

Miller had offers from UGA, Tenn, LSU, Ark, and other P4 schools
Smith had offers from Miami, OM, A&M, Louisville, and Maryland
James had an offer from OM
Horsley had an offer from TCU and Minnesota

Did you do any research?