9 years ago today...

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Animated GIF

And shortly thereafter, we took a dive for the deep end of the pool

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Whatever has happened since, that day was FUN!
When we walked in and got to our seats, I looked at my wife and said "This ain't your daddy's bulldogs. We got this." She said I was being overconfident and we could screw it all up. After we scored first, I knew we were gonna ice it, especially after they had 2 turnovers in a row.

I walked out of the stadium chanting "We're Number 1! We're Number 1!" and happened to come up on an Auburn fan. He looked at me and said " I think you're going to be right. Good game."

That was the last game I went to without earplugs.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
But people **** on Mullen all the time. Makes no damn sense. But hurt he went to a more premier program with a better chance at a title. He didn't get it but got a division title in two years. Something he didn't do in 9 at state. Still couldn't beat bama.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
But people **** on Mullen all the time. Makes no damn sense. But hurt he went to a more premier program with a better chance at a title. He didn't get it but got a division title in two years. Something he didn't do in 9 at state. Still couldn't beat bama.
The dude was the equivalent of that guy turned looking at the passed girl même. He was always looking. Never fully committed and it cost us with recruits. He got what he deserves.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The dude was the equivalent of that guy turned looking at the passed girl même. He was always looking. Never fully committed and it cost us with recruits. He got what he deserves.
Most good coaches are going to be looking for the better gig. We do that to some power 5 and some g5 coaches. I can relate to Mullen I'm always looking for the better gig.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Was this the zenith of Mississippi State Football? Or was it playing in the '98 SEC championship?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
So you would never consider or think about a better job?
If a player puts his name in the portal at the end of every season, what should we do with that player?

Mullen/Sexton put his name in the equivalent of the coaches portal at the end of every season. All is fair in love and war but that is shittayyy

Reactions: WilCoDawg

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
this job was purely a transitional job for him. do good here a few years , get a more lucrative high profile job. dude was 37 when we hired him. he never had any intention of coaching here for the next 25 years until he was in his 60's and i knew that from the start.
for any coaches 40 or under thats what this job will be, transitional.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If a player puts his name in the portal at the end of every season, what should we do with that player?

Mullen/Sexton put his name in the equivalent of the coaches portal at the end of every season. All is fair in love and war but that is shittayyy
A lot of our best players are feeling it our ever season unless they feel they can't get a uga or bama. You better believe. Not everyone grows up an msu fan. Not all msu students s that start at msu finish at msu. I transferred to msu from another university because I stopped playing football at that university and had better academic possibilities at msu. It is what it is. Msu is never going to be an elite program in football. Coaches and many players are not fans or generational fans of the school. Players are going because they like the school, coach, program possibilities, and now nil. Coaches are going because they see possibilities for career growth and the money. It helps we are in the sec and it's a chance to prove they can win at a mid to low tier program for a chance at the next big job. Similar to what many of us would do in a business. Especially those that are good at what they do and are career driven. I go to where my next big step is in my career and to give me what I want and the business that gives me the best chance to do that. Unless you are part of a family business or just happy being the middle manager or just worker bee somewhere, that's how it is.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There is nothing wrong with looking for another job if you are successful in this one. The problem is forgetting all about the one that you have at the present time to chase that magical job you want.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
There is nothing wrong with looking for another job if you are successful in this one. The problem is forgetting all about the one that you have at the present time to chase that magical job you want.
Looking at the loses to ole miss. 14 I think we let bama beat us twice. I blame the bowl loss on collins leaving. The offense played fine the defense wasn't focused.
15 the ole miss defense was pretty solid against our younger OL. 17 I think we win if ole miss doesn't brake fitz ankle. Even with Mullen looking at Tennessee and Florida. A lot is made about him job shopping. But there were events those years and teams we played that are really being factored into that wins and losses. 15 we came back and had a great bowl game. 16 we struggled with offense identity and trying to run 15 offense with fitz. We also tried to play the older locker room favorite qb to start.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
this job was purely a transitional job for him. do good here a few years , get a more lucrative high profile job. dude was 37 when we hired him. he never had any intention of coaching here for the next 25 years until he was in his 60's and i knew that from the start.
for any coaches 40 or under thats what this job will be, transitional.
Indeed. That's why if they are good you got to be okay with losing them rather than a retread that's older but a proven winner like leach. They aren't going anywhere

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I was a student worker in the athletic department at the time and actually didn’t enjoy the day as much as I should have. I just remember it being really stressful with Gameday, CBS, and all the national media in town. There were some behind the scenes things that were a cluster and it had me all out of sorts during the game. I sat through the game but didn’t appreciate how big of a deal it was until I laid down in bed that night.

I didn’t get to be the fan I should’ve been on that day and I’ve always regretted it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I was a student worker in the athletic department at the time and actually didn’t enjoy the day as much as I should have. I just remember it being really stressful with Gameday, CBS, and all the national media in town. There were some behind the scenes things that were a cluster and it had me all out of sorts during the game. I sat through the game but didn’t appreciate how big of a deal it was until I laid down in bed that night.

I didn’t get to be the fan I should’ve been on that day and I’ve always regretted it.
I couldn't eat until after the game

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
This made me think. What would it be like every December to post all over LinkedIn and Twitter that you're looking for a different job, just make you an offer. That's what the portal is.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Most good coaches are going to be looking for the better gig. We do that to some power 5 and some g5 coaches. I can relate to Mullen I'm always looking for the better gig.
There’s a big difference between looking/entertaining other offers and shirking responsibilities and not coaching your team while doing the looking.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I still hold that doing that at the end of season says a lot. And to finally get that pay day and fail miserably. Fitting

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
There’s a big difference between looking/entertaining other offers and shirking responsibilities and not coaching your team while doing the looking.
That's a myth that's been sold so hard to excuse the losses to ole miss when their defense was solid both of those years with dak. Stats don't lie. Good defenses beat good offenses every day

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
That's a myth that's been sold so hard to excuse the losses to ole miss when their defense was solid both of those years with dak. Stats don't lie. Good defenses beat good offenses every day
M’kay. The EB was one part. Recruiting was the other. You’ve got the ex-girlfriend blues. I get it. He was great. But he also wasn’t. I’d rather go after someone that wants to be the coach at State rather than someone who looking for the next thing.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
M’kay. The EB was one part. Recruiting was the other. You’ve got the ex-girlfriend blues. I get it. He was great. But he also wasn’t. I’d rather go after someone that wants to be the coach at State rather than someone who looking for the next thing.
I think it's ther other side who has the girlfriend blues who hadn't gotten over it yet. It's a business. Don't get your feelings hurt because he left for a better business. Is he the most qualified and known product to produce great results for Mississippi state or not? Find a more known proven commodity for a successful coach for msu football.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's going to be any coach but our fans think coaches are fans. So many of our fans can't look at that objectively. We are a lower to mid tier program we aren't a blue blood in football. Coaches that come here want to be here because it gives them a step to something better. The only time it won't be is with a retread or older coach that's getting their shot or another shot at an SEC head coaching iob

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Recruiting was always pissed on because of analytics but when you can find tge diamonds in the rough and field good teams and develop into nfl stars, that Star given by 247 doesn't mean as much.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login