A brief encouragement to you all....

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Man she had to believe so many different lines of BS to go through with all that. I can see where someone could be thrown off by the first layer or two of that, but at a certain point how does your radar not go off that it’s a bad idea to empty your savings account and give all your money to a total stranger without telling your spouse or speaking to a lawyer?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Man she had to believe so many different lines of BS to go through with all that. I can see where someone could be thrown off by the first layer or two of that, but at a certain point how does your radar not go off that it’s a bad idea to empty your savings account and give all your money to a total stranger without telling your spouse or speaking to a lawyer?
What's really sad is, every time she realize this could be a scam, she still went along with it. Like you say, anyone can fall for a simpler scam that only has one or maybe even two layers if they're caught at the wrong time, but once you start thinking "Is this a scam," it's a scam. Just about every time.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
.....that however dumb you may be, you're probably not as dumb as this person:

Sometime the smartest people are the most gullible. I have a family member who was scammed outta a couple of thousand of dollars for a dog by a person who was "visually impaired". The guy's name was "Calvin Broadus". Now this woman has a very high IQ and a master's degree but even I knew who Calvin Broadus was and I hate rap music. It's hard to believe that anyone could be gullible enough to be duped outta $50K like this woman in the article but rest assured these people are out there. I know a Nigerian Prince that wants to transfer money into her banking account and give her part of the money when complete.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
"Don't trust, verify."

A similar scam was pulled off in Starkville a few years back.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
.....that however dumb you may be, you're probably not as dumb as this person:

Oh my! NEVER, EVER take any action based on an incoming phone call/text/email/etc. If you think there is even a remote possibility that it is real, hang up, look up a published phone number for the entity, or reach out to a known number/individual to confirm. Do not reach out to any number that they provide. Only use something that you can independently research and validate.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I Hate You Idiot GIF by Amazon Prime Video

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
What's worse? Losing 50k? Or the embarrassment/shame of having fallen for it?

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
What's really sad is, every time she realize this could be a scam, she still went along with it. Like you say, anyone can fall for a simpler scam that only has one or maybe even two layers if they're caught at the wrong time, but once you start thinking "Is this a scam," it's a scam. Just about every time.
One of the comments under the article read: "This was a horrifying and fascinating article to read, but not exactly surprising. I worked in magazines for years, and let's say Charlotte had a ... reputation in journalism circles. To put it succinctly, she lacked a b--ls--t detector. Like, news flash: sources lie, spin, and obfuscate, and ya gotta be rigorous and relentless in substantiating claims. How she fashioned herself into a trusted financial journalist is mystifying. Maybe that will change now"

Ooof.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Honestly I quit reading 3/4 of the way thru.

I'm calling BS or highly embellished due to the fact that she walked in to a bank and withdrew 50K in cash on the spot. Heck I couldn't withdraw 20K in cash from my bank's primary branch in the area last year without a 2-3 day notice.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Anyone ever dealt with id theft? I'm trying to get that cleared up now - I guess from one of the big data breaches. That's been some frustrating stuff... but man, I can't imagine being trustworthy of anyone over the phone like she was. Even when I was calling to get things cleared up I'd triple check the number I was calling was legitimately associated with the bank or whatever. If anyone tried to transfer me, I'd ask for the number and call it direct myself after checking it out.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Word to the wise. Make sure your aging or elderly parents are aware of this bull$h!+ scammer behavior. Talk to them about being especially vigilant. Counsel them to refrain from answering calls from numbers they don't recognize. Help them monitor their accounts.

Reactions: DogStuckAtUM

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
That article was her trying to convince everyone, and herself, that she's still smart and sophisticated, even though she fell for the dumbest scam in the book to the tune of $50k.
Kinda like the West Point grad/young LT that claimed since she trained with triathletes she was "too fit for the Army Physical Fitness Test" and justified her history of failure. Must be nice to be able to live your entire life in Tutorial Mode.

Reactions: JackShephard

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Honestly I quit reading 3/4 of the way thru.

I'm calling BS or highly embellished due to the fact that she walked in to a bank and withdrew 50K in cash on the spot. Heck I couldn't withdraw 20K in cash from my bank's primary branch in the area last year without a 2-3 day notice.
definitely something off about this story.... don't know what the point of it is but it sounds like pure fiction...

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
definitely something off about this story.... don't know what the point of it is but it sounds like pure fiction...
I have a feeling the 50k was more like 5K and the author took some creative liberties with her story. Any withdraw over 10K the banks has to file a report with I believe the IRS and I seriously doubt the bank would allow a teller to handle a transaction like that.

If an agent told me I was under investigation for anything my next words would be "I am ending this conversation, what number should my attorney call to contact you".

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Word to the wise. Make sure your aging or elderly parents are aware of this bull$h!+ scammer behavior. Talk to them about being especially vigilant. Counsel them to refrain from answering calls from numbers they don't recognize. Help them monitor their accounts.

It’s horrible with the elderly, man. The CPA firm I used to work at used to get calls from our older clients (mostly sweet old ladies) who were in tears because someone called them claiming they owed $10,000 in delinquent taxes right now over the phone or they were going to jail. Thankfully our clients had the sense to call us before they did anything but it’s scary to be bullied while in a vulnerable state like that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login