A couple thoughts

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
We had a good year. Better than I expected although I also expected us to win tonight. We have a couple of decent corners but no real standouts on defense. We have good receivers and a good QB, but something wasn’t working tonight. It’s like we were back to week 1 although Ole Miss’s defense is underrated. We could have won a couple more games this year with a little luck and better officiating, but that crap happens. Arkansas can say the same thing and they drew Georgia instead of Vandy this year. It sucks that Ole Miss is that much better, likely Sugar Bowl bound. That’s twice in 6 years. Kiffin set himself up for a big payday, from Ole Miss or some other school who noticed what he did in two years there. Leach is with us for a few more years and Arnett too. Unlike Kiffin, Leach is too old for other schools to poach. Top schools want young guys, guys with energy and who are active recruiters. We need better players but I’m not sure how many will come here as opposed to other SEC schools. Leach’s system is fine, although it’s not one that has much room for error. In the SEC, we’ll need some breaks to get to 10 wins. LSU isn’t always down and A&M is gonna be better and I suspect Auburn will to. Arkansas had a good year. That’s the challenge we face and if we can’t beat Ole Miss, then even 7-8 wins doesn’t feel all that good.

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
If we win 8 games next year....

and don't beat Ole Miss, then I'll be surprised. This is their peak of peaks. They will be around 6 wins next year. We have the potential for 9-10. And if we win 8 and lose to OM again, I won't be calling for our coach to be fired either.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
We're missing a game changer on the D line.

As a State fan, it feels like we always have someone, a DT or DE, who is a special, sure-fire NFL guy to anchor or defensive line. Really missed that at times this year. We had good but not elite corners, and flashes here and there, but no names we'll be sure to hear on Sundays in a few years.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
I agree. We need some upgrades on DL and OL too. Need 2 OT's. I'm really tired of Lashley's poor play.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
8 wins, maybe 9, if everything goes our way next year. But it’s the SEC. things seldom if ever go our way. So I say 8-4 next year, which is pretty darned good. 8 wins by any team in the SEC West not named Alabama is a real accomplishment. Hats off to Ole Miss for taking advantage of the situation this year and maximizing their opportunity. Helluva year for those guys!

and don't beat Ole Miss, then I'll be surprised. This is their peak of peaks. They will be around 6 wins next year. We have the potential for 9-10. And if we win 8 and lose to OM again, I won't be calling for our coach to be fired either.

SKYHAWKdawg

Aug 23, 2019
We had a good year. Better than I expected although I also expected us to win tonight. We have a couple of decent corners but no real standouts on defense. We have good receivers and a good QB, but something wasn’t working tonight. It’s like we were back to week 1 although Ole Miss’s defense is underrated. We could have won a couple more games this year with a little luck and better officiating, but that crap happens. Arkansas can say the same thing and they drew Georgia instead of Vandy this year. It sucks that Ole Miss is that much better, likely Sugar Bowl bound. That’s twice in 6 years. Kiffin set himself up for a big payday, from Ole Miss or some other school who noticed what he did in two years there. Leach is with us for a few more years and Arnett too. Unlike Kiffin, Leach is too old for other schools to poach. Top schools want young guys, guys with energy and who are active recruiters. We need better players but I’m not sure how many will come here as opposed to other SEC schools. Leach’s system is fine, although it’s not one that has much room for error. In the SEC, we’ll need some breaks to get to 10 wins. LSU isn’t always down and A&M is gonna be better and I suspect Auburn will to. Arkansas had a good year. That’s the challenge we face and if we can’t beat Ole Miss, then even 7-8 wins doesn’t feel all that good.

"something wasn't working tonight"....please elaborate

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Our defense was a pleasant surprise to me this year but this is what will show us whether coach Leach will be successful here. Recruiting. I think he's shown his offensive system will work in the SEC but it won't win without playing solid defense.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Take a look at our schedule for next year. It will be a huge challenge to win 8 or more. We play GA instead of Vandy and have LSU, KY, Ala, and UM all on the road. UM will cakewalk through its first 6 games and be 6-0 They have Vandy and KY from the East.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Our defense was a pleasant surprise to me this year but this is what will show us whether coach Leach will be successful here. Recruiting. I think he's shown his offensive system will work in the SEC but it won't win without playing solid defense.

Defense was very disappointing at times for me. We had better performances last year with less talent on that side of the ball. We don't always tackle well and we give up too many explosive plays.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Take a look at our schedule for next year. It will be a huge challenge to win 8 or more. We play GA instead of Vandy and have LSU, KY, Ala, and UM all on the road. UM will cakewalk through its first 6 games and be 6-0 They have Vandy and KY from the East.

OM is going to need a really good transfer portal QB to “cakewalk” through the first 6 games. I can see them losing to Georgia Tech and KY in their first 6. I can also see them losing their last 6 (AU, LSU, A&M, ARK, Bama, and us…

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
We do need someone on the DL that can get to the QB. They got some pressure last night but he always got away and burned us for 6 or 7 yards. Maybe Trevion Williams can be that guy. Our offense sucked last night. I thought we would win. I keep telling myself they are the number 8 team so its not that embarrassing but that ain't really working

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Good post, personally I don't see as big of as an upside next year as a lot of folks think. I think we will be very fortunate to get to 7 wins. Leach's system requires a lot of reps to get it to clicking. The last two years that happens about six games into the season. I have only been a bulldog for 46 years but one thing I have learned is never get your hopes too high and 75 percent of this fanbase is extremely happy with mediocracy.

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
Just looked at the schedule. 8 or 9 wins is very possible. We also play lots of teams at home. At Kentucky matters more than the others.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login