A game of inches.....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Anybody watch the LSU-Wake game last night? Particularly the 8th inning.

If WF does wind up winning the NC that play at the plate will be THE PLAY for them. WIth the score tied LSU had runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs. A ground ball was rolled up the 3rd base line where an unbelievable throw combined with a poor slide nipped Tre Morgan by maybe a couple of inches to kill the go ahead run. Then got a DP to get out of the inning where WF scored in their half to go ahead and made it stand up in the 9th.

For entertainment I was monitoring an LSU game thread during all that and throughout that half inning the site was getting about 4 posts every second. Exact same range of emotions stuff we see on this board during games. Makes for hilarious reading when its someone else though. Had that happened to State I would have been hating life but then again, we would be at the CWS. (Sigh)

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Were they ever able to get a clear angle of the tag to confirm that he was out? I had to get up and take care of a few things while it was under review, but the angles that I saw didn’t seem to be conclusive one way or another, so I figured that the original call would stand because of that

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
When you got to go back and examine everything slow motion, the third baseman did an unreal job just to make that throw. I don't think I've seen a play like that all year.
I thought the same thing. My emotions changed quickly from “you’ve gotta be kidding me. This is how LSU is gonna steal this game?” to “wow! What a play!”

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Were they ever able to get a clear angle of the tag to confirm that he was out? I had to get up and take care of a few things while it was under review, but the angles that I saw didn’t seem to be conclusive one way or another, so I figured that the original call would stand because of that
Looked to me like the mitt touched the inside of his knee every so slightly just before his hand hit the plate. On one view, his mitt moved backwards just a bit in a way I think would have been unnatural if he didn't make contact. You couldn't actually see contact in that view but I think if you could have timed up to the other view they were showing it would have made more sense. Definitely about it close as it gets.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
It looked clear enough to me that he was out and that is coming from a very neutral point of view.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
When you got to go back and examine everything slow motion, the third baseman did an unreal job just to make that throw. I don't think I've seen a play like that all year.
The best part of that play/throw was the presence of mind the 3rd baseman had to take the extra step into foul territory to give himself the angle to make the throw. Otherwise that ball bounces off the LSU runner and everyone likely advances.

The announcers kept saying that 3B "didn't field it cleanly" and "double clutched" like it was a bad thing. That was the only way that play was getting made.

fevans

Aug 27, 2012
Well...Obviously...the guys in the booth don't understand the difference between 'confirmed' and 'stands'. The call was confirmed, so if he had been ruled safe on the field, it would have been changed to out. You could see the glove move slightly when it made contact with the right knee. So it was not a 'stands' scenario as they were claiming.

Phenomenal play by both the 3B and the C on that play. The 3B definitely gave himself a chance by sliding towards the dugout and may have had some trouble getting the ball out of the glove.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Since college baseball has made my dick itch for 2 years can the mods curtail these threads before I get Jock Rot? Since we seem to have a right to bich and demand censorship of all that upsets us I figgered I'd join the masses without the "M".

fevans

Aug 27, 2012
beating GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login