A little more bowl destination talk

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Note: I can't do the corporate names anymore. I'm just going to call them by their original names.

Here's the way I see it. We're most likely going to Florida. There are some weird scenarios at play.

As Hadad reported today, South Carolina is more than likely playing Notre Dame somewhere. They want that matchup. Could be in the Gator Bowl, could be in the Hall of Fame Bowl. Likely will be Hall of Fame which pushes us to Gator. The Athletic (best bowl projections) has us playing North Carolina in the Gator. That's really a good matchup for us.

But what if LSU somehow beats Georgia? Georgia is still in the playoff, but LSU automatically goes to the Sugar. The four access bowls end up looking like this:

Sugar: LSU vs. Kansas State (SEC Champ vs. highest ranked Big 12 not in playoff)
Rose: Utah/USC/Washington vs. Penn State (highest ranked Pac 12 vs. highest ranked Big 10 not in playoff*)
Orange: ACC Champ vs. Ohio State (highest ranked SEC/Big 10 not in playoff)
Cotton: UCF/Tulane winner vs. higher ranked between Alabama and Tennessee (highest ranked at -large)

Yep. an LSU win could send Tennessee or Alabama to the Citrus Bowl. That would be crazy.

But back to us. South Carolina reportedly does not want to go back to the Hall of Fame Bowl, but they aren't fond of the Gator Bowl either. They are being enticed with the Notre Dame matchup. But Notre Dame lost their QB today so how good is that matchup? The Hall of Fame Bowl has an SEC/Big Ten tie in, so the natural play is Mississippi State-Illinois. But the Athletic is usually spot on and they have South Carolina-Notre Dame.

My guess is still Illinois in the Hall of Fame Bowl on Jan. 2, but the Athletic has me doubting myself. Just for reference, here are the 2022-23 SEC payouts for the Citrus and Group of Six games.

Citrus Bowl payout: $8.2 million
Hall of Fame Bowl payout: $6.4 million
Texas Bowl payout: $6.4 million
Music City Bowl payout: $5.7 million
Gator Bowl payout: $5.3 million
Liberty Bowl payout: $4.7 million
Las Vegas Bow payoutl: $2.9 million

Hadad, I enjoy the show, but you guys butchered what will be the most confusing thing about the bowl season. The Cheez-it Bowl (Payout $6 million) is a decent bowl (original Blockbuster Bowl) between the ACC and Big 12. Cheez it is also sponsoring the Citrus Bowl. That bowl was actually one of the 7 "Big Bowls" that were part of the original Bowl Coalition (then Bowl Alliance, then BCS). They had the Pac 10 runner up against the top Independent (usually Penn State or Notre Dame) back in the day. While it has been saddled with the corporate monicker since 1990, it is what was originally the Tangerine Bowl.

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Re Hall Of Fame Bowl, I believe if the Orange takes a B1G team that triggers a clause for them to take best available ACC team (which ND is filling). Not sure if they have to take it or not….

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Note: I can't do the corporate names anymore. I'm just going to call them by their original names.

Here's the way I see it. We're most likely going to Florida. There are some weird scenarios at play.

As Hadad reported today, South Carolina is more than likely playing Notre Dame somewhere. They want that matchup. Could be in the Gator Bowl, could be in the Hall of Fame Bowl. Likely will be Hall of Fame which pushes us to Gator. The Athletic (best bowl projections) has us playing North Carolina in the Gator. That's really a good matchup for us.

But what if LSU somehow beats Georgia? Georgia is still in the playoff, but LSU automatically goes to the Sugar. The four access bowls end up looking like this:

Sugar: LSU vs. Kansas State (SEC Champ vs. highest ranked Big 12 not in playoff)
Rose: Utah/USC/Washington vs. Penn State (highest ranked Pac 12 vs. highest ranked Big 10 not in playoff*)
Orange: ACC Champ vs. Ohio State (highest ranked SEC/Big 10 not in playoff)
Cotton: UCF/Tulane winner vs. higher ranked between Alabama and Tennessee (highest ranked at -large)

Yep. an LSU win could send Tennessee or Alabama to the Citrus Bowl. That would be crazy.

But back to us. South Carolina reportedly does not want to go back to the Hall of Fame Bowl, but they aren't fond of the Gator Bowl either. They are being enticed with the Notre Dame matchup. But Notre Dame lost their QB today so how good is that matchup? The Hall of Fame Bowl has an SEC/Big Ten tie in, so the natural play is Mississippi State-Illinois. But the Athletic is usually spot on and they have South Carolina-Notre Dame.

My guess is still Illinois in the Hall of Fame Bowl on Jan. 2, but the Athletic has me doubting myself. Just for reference, here are the 2022-23 SEC payouts for the Citrus and Group of Six games.

Citrus Bowl payout: $8.2 million
Hall of Fame Bowl payout: $6.4 million
Texas Bowl payout: $6.4 million
Music City Bowl payout: $5.7 million
Gator Bowl payout: $5.3 million
Liberty Bowl payout: $4.7 million
Las Vegas Bow payoutl: $2.9 million

Hadad, I enjoy the show, but you guys butchered what will be the most confusing thing about the bowl season. The Cheez-it Bowl (Payout $6 million) is a decent bowl (original Blockbuster Bowl) between the ACC and Big 12. Cheez it is also sponsoring the Citrus Bowl.
If LSU beats Georgia we are going wherever notre Dame goes and South Carolina is going to Orlando. If lsu does not beat Georgia, we are going to Jacksonville unless Utah pulls off the upset tonight which would send notre dame to Jacksonville to play South Carolina and us to Tampa to play probably Illinois. In other words, South Carolina is going to pick whatever bowl Notre Dame goes to unless Georgia beats lsu and bumps them up to the citrus. Alabama and tennessse have zero chance of not being in NY6 games.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
If LSU beats Georgia we are going wherever notre Dame goes and South Carolina is going to Orlando. If lsu does not beat Georgia, we are going to Jacksonville unless Utah pulls off the upset tonight which would send notre dame to Jacksonville to play South Carolina and us to Tampa to play probably Illinois. In other words, South Carolina is going to pick whatever bowl Notre Dame goes to unless Georgia beats lsu and bumps them up to the citrus. Alabama and tennessse have zero chance of not being in NY6 games.

Show me where Alabama/Tennessee go if LSU wins. There's no place for both of them. One will be sent to Citrus based on the NY6 rules.

LSU beats Georgia:

Georgia to Playoff
LSU to Sugar as SEC Champion and plays Highest Big 12 not in Playoff (likely Kansas State)
Orange has to take ACC Champion and highest SEC/B1G team not in playoff (Ohio State)
Rose has to take a Pac 12 and B1G team (Utah if they win tonight, Washington if SC wins tonight)*
Cotton has to take AAC Champion and gets one of Alabama/Tennessee.

There is no place for four SEC teams in the LSU wins the SEC title scenario.

* - The committee could knock Alabama and Tennessee out and rank a losing Southern Cal above both of them. That would send USC to the Cotton.

**- Holy crap, what if Purdue beats Michigan!!!! Michigan goes to the playoff, Purdue goes to the Rose. Penn State is back in the Citrus.

Last edited:

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Re Hall Of Fame Bowl, I believe if the Orange takes a B1G team that triggers a clause for them to take best available ACC team (which ND is filling). Not sure if they have to take it or not….
Got it. That's what I was looking for. Its never happened because the SEC has always had that spot.

Gator is most likely if Ohio State ends up ranked higher than Alabama and Tennessee then. Thanks Duke!

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Show me where Alabama/Tennessee go if LSU wins. There's no place for both of them. One will be sent to Citrus based on the NY6 rules.
The M
They would both get in over Penn State. Ohio state not wanting to go to the rose bowl isn’t going to happen at the expense of another sec team not getting in to the NY 6. Whoever told you that’s happening doesn’t have a clue as to what’s going on.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
I just checked the latest Athletic projections. They now have us in Tampa vs Notre Dame. They have South Carolina in the Citrus vs Purdue, and LSU in the Gator vs North Carolina. I don't know if they have secret intel, or this is a shot in the dark, but I like it.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The M

They would both get in over Penn State. Ohio state not wanting to go to the rose bowl isn’t going to happen at the expense of another sec team not getting in to the NY 6. Whoever told you that’s happening doesn’t have a clue as to what’s going on.
They can't get in over Penn State. Rose has to take a Big 10 team against a Pac 12 team when they don't have a playoff semifinal. Sugar has to take an SEC and Big 12 team. Orange has to take an ACC team but they get the top ranked SEC/Big 12 team. Cotton is the only one that has one spot for an at-large, as they have to take the highest ranked non Power 5.

Unless Utah wins this game tonight, Ohio State is going to play Clemson or North Carolina in the Orange Bowl. OSU wants it. The Orange wants it. The B1G wants it. They don't give two ***** if an SEC team gets screwed. They know what they are doing. Its exactly what they should be doing - maximizing the number of B1G teams in the NY6 by invoking a rule that they have never had the opportunity to use.

Last edited:

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
South Carolina reportedly does not want to go back to the Hall of Fame Bowl, but they aren't fond of the Gator Bowl either.

USCe hasn’t been to Tampa in 5 years or Jacksonville in 35 years. They aren’t going to Orlando now.

1. Why would they not want to go to either of those bowls?

2. If they aren’t fond of the Gator or Reliaquest Bowl, WTH do they want to go?

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
USCe hasn’t been to Tampa in 5 years or Jacksonville in 35 years. They aren’t going to Orlando now.

1. Why would they not want to go to either of those bowls?

2. If they aren’t fond of the Gator or Reliaquest Bowl, WTH do they want to go?
They would prefer to go to Jacksonville because they have never been in the modern era, but are willing to go to Tampa if Notre Dame is the opponent.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Yes, and they will take Ohio State no matter what Ohio State prefers while the orange bowl takes Tennessee.
The Rose is only required to take the B1G champion, and if they aren’t available, they get to pick. They will take PSU

The Orange has to take the highest ranked SEC or B1G team, which will be Ohio State.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Exactly. South Carolina vs. Notre Dame is probably the matchup unless chaos sends Alabama/Tennessee/Penn State to the Tier 2 Florida bowls.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
The Rose is only required to take the B1G champion, and if they aren’t available, they get to pick. They will take PSU

The Orange has to take the highest ranked SEC or B1G team, which will be Ohio State.
There is no rule that says the Rose bowl gets to pick before the orange bowl. If and when the orange bowl picks Tennessee, the Rose bowl will pick between Penn State and Ohio State. The SEC has the biggest dick in the room. They aren’t going to get screwed out of a NY6 bowl payout because Ohio State doesn’t feel like going to the rose bowl. Tennessee is ranked ahead of Penn State in the rankings. They will get protected because of that.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I mean Utah and Southern Cal are tied at halftime. If Utah wins, this discussion is moot. Ohio State will be in the playoff and Penn State will be in the Rose against Utah. That sends Alabama or Tennessee to the Orange against Clemson/UNC winner and the other to the Cotton against Tulane/UCF*

*unless the committee ranks a losing Southern Cal ahead of Alabama and/or Tennessee.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
There is no rule that says the Rose bowl gets to pick before the orange bowl. If and when the orange bowl picks Tennessee, the Rose bowl will pick between Penn State and Ohio State. The SEC has the biggest dick in the room. They aren’t going to get screwed out of a NY6 bowl payout because Ohio State doesn’t feel like going to the rose bowl. Tennessee is ranked ahead of Penn State in the rankings. They will get protected because of that.
There is a rule that says the Orange Bowl
Has to take the highest ranked team from the SEC or B1G. It will be OSU

and what does it matter? Tennessee will go to Cotton instead of Orange, same payout

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022

LSU beats Georgia:

Georgia to Playoff
LSU to Sugar as SEC Champion and plays Highest Big 12 not in Playoff (likely Kansas State)
Orange has to take ACC Champion and highest SEC/B1G team not in playoff (Ohio State)
Rose has to take a Pac 12 and B1G team (Utah if they win tonight, Washington if SC wins tonight)*

* - The committee could knock Alabama and Tennessee out and rank a losing Southern Cal above both of them. That would send USC to the Cotton.

**- Holy crap, what if Purdue beats Michigan!!!! Michigan goes to the playoff, Purdue goes to the Rose. Penn State is back in the Citrus.
I’ve already shown you. Ohio state isn’t going to the orange bowl just because they want to. Penn state is ranked behind Tennessee and Alabama and will be treated as such in the ny 6 selections. You can keep on repeating that the rose bowl gets to select before the orange bowl if you want to but that doesn’t make it true.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
There is a rule that says the Orange Bowl
Has to take the highest ranked team from the SEC or B1G. It will be OSU

and what does it matter? Tennessee will go to Cotton instead of Orange, same payout
It matter because that would leave Alabama out of a ny 6 bowl, which is not going to happen.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
This system has been around for EIGHT seasons and people still don't understand that bowl games don't get to pick. MISSISSIPPI STATE was the original beneficiary of the Orange Bowl rule.

Here's how it goes this year:

1-4 to the playoff (Fiesta and Peach this year)
SEC Champ (or highest available SEC team) to Sugar
ACC Champ (or highest available) to Orange
Big 12 Champ (or highest available) to Sugar
Big 10 Champ (or highest available) to Rose
Pac 12 Champ (or highest available) to Rose
Highest ranked Non P5 Champ to Cotton

Orange gets highest Big Ten or SEC team not in playoff. Ohio State is choosing to take this spot instead of the Rose slot. Rose goes to next B1G team (Penn State)

Cotton then gets the highest ranked available team regardless of conference.

Next year:
1-4 to the playoff (Rose and Sugar)

Big 12 Champ (or highest available) to Fiesta
Highest available B1G/SEC team to Orange
Highest non P5 champion to Peach

SEC, Big Ten and Pac 12 Champions auto bid if not in playoff. If all three in playoff, all four of these bids are at-large.

Highest available team to Cotton
Next highest to Peach
next highest to Fiesta
next highest to Cotton

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
This system has been around for EIGHT seasons and people still don't understand that bowl games don't get to pick. MISSISSIPPI STATE was the original beneficiary of the Orange Bowl rule.

Here's how it goes this year:

1-4 to the playoff (Fiesta and Peach this year)
SEC Champ (or highest available SEC team) to Sugar
Big 12 Champ (or highest available) to Sugar
Big 10 Champ (or highest available) to Rose
Pac 12 Champ (or highest available) to Rose
Highest ranked Non P5 Champ to Cotton

Orange gets highest Big Ten or SEC team not in playoff. Ohio State is choosing to take this spot instead of the Rose slot. Rose goes to next B1G team (Penn State)

Cotton then gets the highest ranked available team regardless of conference.

Next year:
1-4 to the playoff (Rose and Sugar)

Big 12 Champ (or highest available) to Fiesta
Highest available B1G/SEC team to Orange
Highest non P5 champion to Peach

SEC, Big Ten and Pac 12 Champions auto bid if not in playoff. If all three in playoff, all four of these bids are at-large.

Highest available team to Cotton
Next highest to Peach
next highest to Fiesta
next highest to Cotton
Yes I agree, you still don’t understand how it works. The orange bowl gets highest rated big 10 or sec, but the sec is going to fight for that to be Tennessee and not Ohio state. What about that do you not understand? The sec isn’t going to just stand around while Ohio state tells the rose bowl they don’t want to go there which would allow their conference to get an additional NY 6 team in. That’s not how this works. Ohio state doesn’t run the NY 6. The rose bowl doesn’t get to pick before the orange bowl. The sec is going to say Ohio state needs to go to the rose bowl no matter what they want to do and Penn state needs to go to Tampa so Tennessee and Alabama can get into the NY 6. That is going to be what happens because both Tennessee and Alabama are ranked ahead of Penn State.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Yes I agree, you still don’t understand how it works. The orange bowl gets highest rated big 10 or sec, but the sec is going to fight for that to be Tennessee and not Ohio state. What about that do you not understand? The sec isn’t going to just stand around while Ohio state tells the rose bowl they don’t want to go there which would allow their conference to get an additional NY 6 team in. That’s not how this works. Ohio state doesn’t run the NY 6. The rose bowl doesn’t get to pick before the orange bowl.
The SEC doesn't have a say in it right now. Ohio State in that #5 position gives them the power. Warren pulled one on Sankey and the entire CFB world will love it. Especially if the committee reverses Tennessee and Alabama in the final rankings.

Utah is about to beat USC and send Ohio State to the playoff so its not going to come into play.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
The SEC doesn't have a say in it right now. Ohio State in that #5 position gives them the power. Warren pulled one on Sankey and the entire CFB world will love it. Especially if the committee reverses Tennessee and Alabama in the final rankings.

Utah is about to beat USC and send Ohio State to the playoff so its not going to come into play.
The selection committee decides where the teams go for ny 6 bowls. What the rose bowl or the orange bowl or any other ny 6 bowl wants has no bearing on who is going where. If they have Alabama and Tennessee above Penn state they are going to put them into NY 6 bowls ahead of Penn state (and they are both currently ahead of Penn state). This really isn’t as hard as you’re trying to make it. They do this the same way every year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
My head hurts after reading this thread. We won 8 games and won the Egg Bowl. We're not going to a NY6 bowl or the Citrus Bowl. After that, I just really don't care.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I did not mean to start such an ordeal. I differ on the interpretation. I doubt LSU beats UGA and Utah looks like they are going to send Ohio State to the playoff so that scenario is out of play if that happens.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
They would prefer to go to Jacksonville because they have never been in the modern era, but are willing to go to Tampa if Notre Dame is the opponent.

I get that.

615 said they reportedly don’t want either. Since pretty much every projection has them playing ND in one of those bowls, I wondered what reports he is referring to about them not wanting to go to those bowls.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Williams is hurt for USC. I don't think they can turn it around with him hobbled. That puts Ohio State in the playoff.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

LSU beats Georgia:

Georgia to Playoff

The answer to your question is now pretty simple, because Ohio State is now in the playoff. If TCU wins, Alabama or UT will take Ohio State’s spot in the Orange, the other is in the Cotton. If TCU loses, Bama is in the playoff, UT is likely in the Orange, and KSU is in the Cotton.

There will 100% be 4 SEC teams in the NY6 if LSU beats UGA….regardless of what happens with TCU / KSU.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login