A lot about getting in or not, but

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
what if we were to win the SEC Tourney? What is the highest seed we could get at this point?

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
what if we were to win the SEC Tourney? What is the highest seed we could get at this point?
Rami Malek Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't think it would take us THAT much higher. It might bump us up a notch or two. The 96 team had a better year, knocked off the best UK team I've ever seen to win the SEC Tournament. They were a 5 seed. That's not that much better than we would have been anyway.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I don't think it would take us THAT much higher. It might bump us up a notch or two. The 96 team had a better year, knocked off the best UK team I've ever seen to win the SEC Tournament. They were a 5 seed. That's not that much better than we would have been anyway.
I’m thinking 9

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Also in baseball in 2011, we won 16 SEC games, and won the SEC tourney (had 21 total SEC wins), and didn’t even host.

Another example….we win the basketball SEC tourney in 2009. Had a winning regular season record in a power conference and 23 overall wins. And we were what, a 13 or 14 seed? It was comical. We were seeded as a team that was 19-13 overall and had an RPI of 60-70 that the NCAA still had to take. Nothing that happened in Tampa mattered at all on our resume, except that we got an auto bid.

Regardless of the sport, NCAA selection committees don’t give a flying 17 about conference tournament results unless a team that otherwise wouldn’t be in the field at all wins the whole thing. Today’s win probably didn’t really do anything for us, although it certainly didn’t hurt. Seeds are pretty much set outside of the last 4 byes already. And they’ll make the final decisions on those after all the autobids are cleared up.

Last edited:
Reactions: josebrown

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Also in baseball in 2011, we won 16 SEC games, and won the SEC tourney (had 21 total SEC wins), and didn’t even host.

Regardless of the sport, NCAA selection committees don’t give a flying 17 about conference tournament results unless a team that otherwise wouldn’t be in the field at all wins the whole thing. Today’s win probably didn’t really do anything for us, although it certainly didn’t hurt. Seeds are pretty much set outside of the last 4 byes already. And they’ll make the final decisions on those after all the autobids are cleared up.
Teams play their way in and out of the tournament every year in conference tournaments. Like us today. Of we would have lost today we were at best a play in game

Last edited:
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Low 8.

This made me think of UGA in 2008 where they won the SEC Tournament and were seeded 14th.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Low 8.

This made me think of UGA in 2008 where they won the SEC Tournament and were seeded 14th.
True, but prior to the tournament, they had absolutely no chance of getting into the NCAA tourney, without winning it all.
Might be a bit of difference there.
It just delayed their coach getting fired, a few days.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I really don’t want an 8 or a 9. Would suck to play a 1 in the second round. Would much rather be an 11 or a 12 and get a bye. Making it through the first two rounds would be my priority.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
That game was a late game and most of seeding had been some. We got screwed so badly on the seeding that the SEC moved the start of the championship game to noon. And it’s been there at noon ever since.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Here's a conspiracy theory. A booster at Kentucky paid off the refs in our final 4 game against Syracuse. Because Kentucky knew they could beat Syracuse for the title but probably not beat Mississippi State who lit them up in the SEC tourney.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Here's a conspiracy theory. A booster at Kentucky paid off the refs in our final 4 game against Syracuse. Because Kentucky knew they could beat Syracuse for the title but probably not beat Mississippi State who lit them up in the SEC tourney.
I always thought one of our players who all of a sudden couldn't handle the basketball was paid off.

bullygrowl

Sep 29, 2022
I'd rather make the Sweet 16 than win the Tourney. Flame away.
Yes, I agree. However, these two things aren't mutually exclusive. We can hang 2 banners. We are going to to practice anyway, so, might as well play on Saturday and Sunday and rest up for Thurs/Fri.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
They also came into the SEC tournament 13-16 (4-12)
Yeah, I wasnt comparing MSU now to UGA then in terms seeding. I just thought of that scenario when I read this thread because it was an improbable team that won.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Hillary Clinton Wow GIF

kired

Aug 22, 2008
on the flip side, what is the lowest seed we could get if bama....

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Teams play their way in and out of the tournament every year in conference tournaments. Like us today. Of we would have lost today we were at best a play in game

Its impossible to know whether a bubble team was already in or out in the committee’s eyes before whatever they do in their conference tournaments. But there is ample evidence that they don’t take anything from the conference tourneys into consideration as it pertains to seeding. And if they don’t care about it for seeding, there is no reason to think they care about it for in vs. out decisions.

As for us, we may still be in a play-in game, and are currently projected to be by Lunardi.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login