A name for coach no one has mentioned…

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Barry Odom. Has UNLV 7-2 this year. Wasn’t a dumpster fire at Mizzou (last 3 seasons were .500 or better). Had a great run at DC under Fuente at Memphis and at Arkansas for manboobs. We could do a LOT worse that Odom.

And another thing…. There’s a coach who has seen his team go from 1-11 to 5-7 to 6-3 this year and a top 25 ranking. He clearly knows what he’s doing and just because Arnett/State beat him twice…. Doesn’t mean Arnett is better than him. Our roster is significantly better than Arizonas… that’s why we beat them twice. Not because Arnett turned into Belichek for a night. Jedd Fisch is a very solid coach.

PiedmontDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Odom never really turned the corner at Mizzou despite the fact his predecessor had some success. He’s a defensive minded coach, too.

this will probably be unpopular because of his lack of HC experience but Odoms OC Brennan Marion is going to land a HC job eventually and we might as well run something unconventional due to talent disparity. Why not?

my realistic list no order:
GJ Kinne
Ryan Silverfield
Jeff Traylor
Sean Lewis
Brennan Marion
Garrett Riley

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Odom never really turned the corner at Mizzou despite the fact his predecessor had some success. He’s a defensive minded coach, too.

this will probably be unpopular because of his lack of HC experience but Odoms OC Brennan Marion is going to land a HC job eventually and we might as well run something unconventional due to talent disparity. Why not?

GJ Kinne
Ryan Silverfield
Jeff Traylor
Sean Lewis
Brennan Marion
Garrett Riley
Nothing wrong with a defensive minded coach. It’s sheep hivemind to think that we absolutely must have an offensive guy

PiedmontDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Nothing wrong with a defensive minded coach. It’s sheep hivemind to think that we absolutely must have an offensive guy
Fair point. My main point still stands on BO - he had less than success of a Mullen at a school with the same/better relative success as MSU historically. I do like the two OC hires he has made at UNLV (Petrino prior to Marion) and Marion.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013

GJ Kinne
Ryan Silverfield
Jeff Traylor
Sean Lewis
Brennan Marion
Garrett Riley
I would say no on Silverfield. I think he is a good coach but has zero personality and doesn’t try to sell the Memphis program. Local media complains all the time about him not promoting the brand. Opposite of Norvell.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Whomever it is, they need a good understanding of the NIL and need to be aggressive in true portal.

I always thought Mike Norvell was super interesting at Memphis, and he has panned out really well- mainly because he attacked the portal and got top talent out of it.

Of course- doesn’t hurt that he’s recruiting to FSU. And he seems to be a player’s coach. But he saw the portal for what it should be.

patdog

May 28, 2007

GJ Kinne
Ryan Silverfield
Jeff Traylor
Sean Lewis
Brennan Marion
Garrett Riley
I hope none of those are c

GJ Kinne
Ryan Silverfield
Jeff Traylor
Sean Lewis
Brennan Marion
Garrett Riley
Have we learned nothing about hiring inexperienced coaches this year? Even when we hired Mullen, he had 6 years of coordinator experience at the highest levels of college football. We need a coach who doesn't have to learn on the job and can hit the ground running. Actually, he needs to hit the ground sprinting. He's going to have a lot of work to do this offseason.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hell no to Odom. Dude was 13-19 in a very weak SEC East. 2 of his 4 years were before Kirby got UGA rolling and also with UF reeling under McElwain, and UT was still bad then as well. He’s a Mizzou alum and they still fired him after 4 years, which should tell you something.

Fisch is an obvious take and has been brought up in numerous threads already. But he isn’t coming.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Barry Odom. Has UNLV 7-2 this year. Wasn’t a dumpster fire at Mizzou (last 3 seasons were .500 or better). Had a great run at DC under Fuente at Memphis and at Arkansas for manboobs. We could do a LOT worse that Odom.

And another thing…. There’s a coach who has seen his team go from 1-11 to 5-7 to 6-3 this year and a top 25 ranking. He clearly knows what he’s doing and just because Arnett/State beat him twice…. Doesn’t mean Arnett is better than him. Our roster is significantly better than Arizonas… that’s why we beat them twice. Not because Arnett turned into Belichek for a night. Jedd Fisch is a very solid coach.
My philosophy for coaching hires is now and always has been "NO RETREADS." Retreads rarely work out - with Kiffin being biggest exception to the rule.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I have to agree with no retreads. Herman might be ok but I like going after young hungry guys. Sure you might miss but you can miss with any hire. Esp a guy that already failed. I'm kinda liking Kinne but wouldn't be disappointed with Herman.

Reactions: L4MANDW

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Isn’t there a young Dan Mullen-esqe OC out there who has an exciting offensive scheme who is up and coming that would RECRUIT and be willing to come in and give State a shot? I don’t see another Kiffen out there anywhere but someone along the lines of Mullen who wants to recruit and win. No more defensive guys for State for a while…..

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I would say no on Silverfield. I think he is a good coach but has zero personality and doesn’t try to sell the Memphis program. Local media complains all the time about him not promoting the brand. Opposite of Norvell.
Yeah, Silverfield is a hard, hard no. Memphis fans don't even like him.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login